Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Johnny Rotten ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 07:39PM

Reading the post about racism at BYU reminded me of a personal experience I had at BYU while attending BYU.

When I was at BYU I wrote a paper for a class about an the arrest of a black athlete and the abuse he was put through by the BYU-Honor Code Department and the BYU and Provo police departments.

He was arrested for “suspicion of attempted theft”. Really he was arrested because he was a black man, who happened to look through the window of a vehicle while walking through a parking lot. He didn't take anything; he just paused while walking through a parking to look into the window of a car. The Honor Code department coerced/forced him to plead guilty of the “crime” or face expulsion and loss of his scholarship. Of coarse I wrote a paper about how BYU violate the athlete’s rights.

After writing the paper I was called into the office of my supervisors supervisor(BYU Police Department). I worked for the BYU police department. I wrote parking tickets. I was threatened with termination, expulsion and a veiled threat was made that they (the police) would plant evidence and make criminal charges against me for drug possession. The message was clear and I understood it.

That evening I called two of my uncles who were both career police officers. They told me to take the threat very serious. They suggested I quit my job and promise that I wouldn’t share my paper with anyone but my professor. This is the first time that I have chosen to speak publicly about this incident.

I took their advice and left it alone. I learned a lot through this experience. First BYU will do nearly anything to protect its image. Second you will pay a price for telling the truth or exposing the ugly under belling of BYU. Third very few people will believe what I have to say over the authorities representing “Gods” University.

There is not a snowballs chance in hell I would allow my children to go to BYU. I‘m proud to say none my kids so far have shown any interest in attending BYU.

Best,

Johnny Rotten

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 07:50PM

Sorry you had to go through that Johnny Rotten.

The story unfortunately jives with what I know about underhanded, and behind-closed-doors pressures brought to bear against anyone who doesn't fit the false-front image of BYU/mormon perfection.

Posted by: emanon (not logged in) ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 07:51PM

I'll write it here..........I hate most mormons. They are a bunch of judgmental, condescending, disrespectful people.

Johnny Rotten thanks for sharing your story.

Posted by: Johnny Rotten ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 08:48PM

Being a Mormon by birth it's hard to separate myself from the culture. There is much I love about the Church. However it's very hard to find anything I like about the ass hats at the BYU Honor Code Department.

The bureaucrats at BYU are some of the worst. They are self righteous and really do believe that the University is "Gods" University and therefore by extension they are God's personal employee.

Most of my family and closest friends are Mormon or were Mormon and they are good people just trying to do what they believe is correct.

Best,

Johnny

Posted by: emanon ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 12:14AM

...doing what they believe, end up being the worst offenders...being judgmental, condescending or disrespectful. I'm in the heart of mormondum and it doesn't take much to find out what kind of person someone is. Most mormons are as I've described.

I know what you are taking about, in terms of the police. About two decades ago, DH had evidence planted against him but he was able to prove it wasn't his.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.