Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: July 26, 2022 01:21PM

Colleagues found out the office Mormon is now a grandfather to 9 kids in poverty.

He has only told us about 5.

I have a feeling he got embarrassed or shamed by all the questions asked after the first 5 were born. (One time they asked him what his son-in-law does to support 3 kids and a wife. They asked, “Is he a doctor, lawyer, businessperson?” Mormon answered that he was a soldier and from their facial reaction he visibly recoiled.)

This should be interesting when they confront him about what they found out online.

The person who found this out knows the oldest daughter like I do. And it’s quite sad: this daughter of his wasn't a Rhodes Scholar but to see her take a job after high school as a Walmart cashier when her classmates started college and to see her now a mother of 5… it’s breathtaking and not in the good way.

Mormons shouldn’t be doing things they’re embarrassed about.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Fascinated in the Midwest ( )
Date: July 27, 2022 11:37AM

Your Office Mormon is not directly responsible for his offsprings' decision to bear 9 children in poverty. The adult children had choices.

Yes, he may have raised them in a cult that believes that each child gives a spirit a body on Earth. The adult children are responsible for what they do with that information and their actions.

Maybe Office Mormon is embarrassed? Maybe Office Mormon diverts a chunk of salary to help these families keep the lights/heat on, food on the table, etc. and he cannot keep up?

I feel badly for everyone taken in by any cult-church.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 27, 2022 11:46AM

It sounds like two different cultures running up against each other. I suppose that nevermos get the same treatment when the tables are turned.

To me, a woman with five kids and no career skills to speak of is making a huge bet that her marriage will work out, and her spouse will stay healthy and able to work. That is not a good bet to my way of thinking.

Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: July 27, 2022 12:16PM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It sounds like two different cultures running up
> against each other. I suppose that nevermos get
> the same treatment when the tables are turned.
>
> To me, a woman with five kids and no career skills
> to speak of is making a huge bet that her marriage
> will work out, and her spouse will stay healthy
> and able to work. That is not a good bet to my way
> of thinking.

I know from a good source that the daughter has had postpartum depression. And she hasn’t stopped cranking them out.

She’s bought the Kool-Aid.

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: July 30, 2022 02:31AM

I think you mean "passel"

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: July 30, 2022 02:31AM

I think you mean "passel"

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: July 29, 2022 04:27PM

As a divorce lawyer in Utah I see this again and again. Woman marries young, has a passle of kids, hubbie turns out to be an a-hole, divorce comes, woman with no skills is hosed. I tell my granddaughters (and they are all still very young) A man is not a plan.

Posted by: Lurker 1 ( )
Date: July 28, 2022 03:51PM

What's wrong with working as a Walmart cashier? Any work is honorable. Some people will make decisions that will keep them from going on fancy vacations, driving new cars, or living in a luxurious home however I know many people in that situation that are very happy, often happier than the person that has only 1 or 2 children and judges those that have more. Don't be so judgmental and bigoted.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 28, 2022 06:01PM

Work is honorable, but one must earn a living, and that's very difficult to do with an entry level job held over a long period of time. The biggest problem is probably being able to accumulate enough retirement savings. I watched my mom, who worked as a store clerk for much of her adult life, live in near poverty by the end of it (and that was with me covering a lot of the bills.)

Bottom line, women, like men, need to have the capacity to earn a good living in a job that pays well (even if they choose to spend a good chunk of their lives staying at home.)

Posted by: Elder Brother ( )
Date: July 29, 2022 12:08PM

(My son worked for Walmart...briefly. So this is based on his experience a few years ago.)

I can tell you what is wrong with working as a Walmart cashier.
Walmart is horrible to their employees.

Three members of the Walton family are worth over $65billion each and yet they don't let their employees work full-time unless they are management level or higher.
The cashiers and the people stocking the shelves get less than 40 hours a week so Walmart doesn't have provide them any employee benefits.

It's almost like a church with $100billion expecting you to clean the toilets for free.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 29, 2022 05:06PM

It’s exactly like that.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: July 29, 2022 06:29PM

The Mormon church is much worse. At least workers at Walmart get a paycheck. Not only do Mormons work for free, they basically pay for the privilege. They give the Mormon church 10% of their income and then are expected to clean toilets for free.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.