Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: August 02, 2022 02:01PM

I often wonder how many of the leadership and active members really believe in the church. I think many don't even think about it nor do they want to. I think it's more of a resolve to protect the organization they are part of.

I think family history and heritage play a big part in it. In may mom's case this was her motive. She was proud of her Utah pioneer heritage. For my dad it was social. My parents legitimately liked to help people and would do that both inside and outside the church.

I think for some members the church is a social club they belong to and give it no more thought. For others it's like a gang mentality. You got to be loyal or else! Maybe to the extreme it's a mob mentality. The church comes before all else and you made your promises in the holy temple. I would say some of the top leadership fall into this.

How much is true belief? I think that's actually quite rare. I think everyone has their doubts but they all are butt cheeks together and balls in hand for the organization. The organization seems to be the big thing they salute. The prophet is just a disposal mascot actually. The church goes on no matter how senile or old the prophet is.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 02, 2022 02:45PM

"Belonging" can be a principle joy in life.

The sweet, almost intoxicating comfort that serious golfers aspire to, knowing they can show up at a golf course for the first time knowing that displaying the proper credentials and behavior (behaviour, in Britain) will result in being treated as an equal.

I think it's basically the same as showing up in a new ward.  When you're called on to introduce yourself, adding the facts that you're an RM and a BYU grad immediately elevate your standing.  Of course, you have to look the part, just like in golf.

Imagine the hilarity of showing up to priesthood meeting dressed in biker gear, a cigarette behind the ear, tats galore, Fu Manchu moustache, and then announcing you're an RM and BYU grad!

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 02, 2022 05:22PM

The speakers at GC seem less sincere than they used to be. It could be a matter of reading the teleprompter while fighting off dementia.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.