Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: friend ( )
Date: August 04, 2022 05:34PM

Jesus is the son of God, Jesus is the son of Joseph. Which one is it? This confuses me and how can Jesus be a descendant of the kings of Isreal if he is the son of God?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: August 04, 2022 06:11PM

Do you believe that god exists?
Do you believe that Jesus exists (or existed)?
Do you believe that the biblical Joseph existed?

If your answer to question #2 is no, then questions 1 & 3 are irrelevant.

If your answer question 1 is no, and your answer to question 2 is yes, then maybe Jesus is a descendant of Israeli kings, but he was not deity.

For me:
Question 1-no.
Question 2-maybe he existed, but he wasn’t divine.
Question 3-don’t know, don’t care.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 04, 2022 06:21PM

Jesus is the son of mythology, I'll give him that.

I'm going to need to know where he got his Y chromosome to go any further.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 04, 2022 06:27PM

How did Lucifer get his double-Y chromosome?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 04, 2022 06:28PM

I believe it involved tanning his testicles.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 04, 2022 06:29PM

I thought Lucifer was transgendered.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 04, 2022 06:22PM

Do you believe in any of the narrative of Christianity? If you do pick and choose. Jesus' Cafe is what the modern world is for him.

The Mormon's have created a 100 billion hedge fund for him. Now that is believing in him!

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: August 04, 2022 06:38PM

Jewish identity is matrilineal. (In other words: the biological role of biological fathers does not count when it comes to the "Who is a Jew?" question.)

If the person we now understand as Jesus did actually exist back then, and if that person was indeed a Jew, then he inherited his Jewish identity through his mother...who might well have been related in some biological way to "the kings of Israel."

During that time period, that entire part of the Middle East had many religious teachers [some Jewish; some not] who traveled from place to place, teaching their take on matters religious.

I am Jewish now, but I grew up going from Christian church to Christian church as the guest of one or another of the families "on the hill" [we all lived on the same hill in Woodland Hills], most of whom went to some kind of Christian church quite regularly, and it was always my understanding from those different denominations [Congregational; Lutheran, Church of Christ, Baptist, etc., with a bit of Catholicism added to the mix] that "everyone" is [supposedly] the [offspring] of God...so if "everyone" qualifies, then it is no big, or even remarkable, situation for any given person to be the "son" or "daughter" of God.

The two things--being the "son of God," or the biological legacy of "the kings of Israel"--do not constitute an either/or situation.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: August 04, 2022 11:38PM

Did you mean Jesus the son of David of the tribe of Judah?

Both Matthew and Luke went to great lengths to show Jesus as a royal descendant of David and hence the rightful king of Israel.

There was a branch of early Christianity that believed Jesus was a mere human and not until later was he declared the son of god. Hebrews 5:5
"Thou art my son, today I have begotten thee."

Somewhere in time Jesus went frim symbolic begotten to physical begotten.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 05, 2022 12:02AM

Zzzzzz

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.