Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: August 20, 2022 11:01AM

Here is my video report of the dynamic movement to make clergy mandatory child abuse reporters. Also included are snapshots of each individual's sign-statement about this vital issue.

Each speaker was concise, cogent, and powerful with their message making a watch and listen well worth while. The backdrops of the Utah State Capitol and The LDS Church Office Building frame the setting well.

https://youtu.be/9Kiw-Y-oAcs

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: August 20, 2022 11:59AM

I was there also. Very touching.

Here's a thought I had during the event: it's always easiest, no matter what, to blame the victims. The perpetrators are almost always the ones with power and social standing- so the near universal response for the establishment to follow them as well, because everybody wants a leader they can simply follow. Until that pattern can be broken, nothing will change.

There have been countless books and movies where the hero breaks the pattern and the powerful have an epiphany and they almost change their minds. In the real world, that never happens. If things get really bad, the victims may turn to violence- and, as usual, they get punished for disturbing the system.

Just some random thoughts. I hope it makes some sense.

Date: August 20, 2022 03:52PM

I've never regretted organizing, assisting with, attending, supporting, and reporting on any of the numerous exmo events of the past 25 years. It's rewarding being an active part in making history.

Date: August 20, 2022 04:00PM

at this type of rally. I learned several significant details about this issue by listening. I get sad and mad attempting to grasp how out of touch with human decency Dallin H Oaks is masterminding the damaging and abusive strategy of "The Helpline."

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: August 20, 2022 12:09PM

Thanks for posting this, it gives a sense of hope in an otherwise hopeless situation.

I started watching the video and at first I thought it was going to be a boring watch so I jumped ahead a little ways. What the speakers was saying intrigued me enough to watch to the end and then watch the part I had skipped. Worthwhile for me, thanks again.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 21, 2022 01:41PM

Did anyone ask them to not touch the Church Office Building?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: August 21, 2022 09:49PM

A major change that needs to take place is to lose the "no one in that position would do that".

I heard this over and over.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 21, 2022 10:33PM

Mormons don't believe in mental illness.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 21, 2022 11:44PM

Apparently, there is nothing repentance and a contrite heart can't fix.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.