Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 09:52AM

JWs keep and honor no-call lists for anyone who contacts a local Kingdom Hall and says they don't want anyone coming to their door.

Mormons claim they can't do this. They say it's too complicated for mishies to scratch addresses off a list or map.

Local wards claim they can't tell if someone actually wants visits or not just because they state their wishes. NO. That's too complicated for mormon brains to fathom.

Mormons have to go to someone's house at least once a year and ask again and again if the residents really want contact or not.

Or the residents must write a formal letter of resignation, then endure some contact during a waiting period of an undetermined duration while they hope that church volunteers and employees go through the motions of refiling their name and issuing a return formal letter.

Even if all of the above plays out, the person is still eligible for harassment by missionaries or local mormon do-gooders.

To me, it sounds like the mormons are sore losers and they're more cultish and not as smart as the JWs.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 10:03AM

Posted by: RAG ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 03:36PM

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: April 15, 2011 07:31AM

So damn true!

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 10:53AM

The JWs stopped by my house yesterday. I didn't answer the door and they went away.

Posted by: deb ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 11:18AM

From what I've experienced the Mormon's do not take no too easily but, eventually they will. Never even seen a JW around here.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 11:52AM

... and only after her husband read them the riot act.

MANY others exmos have been pursued for years and years.

Your brief fling with the possibility of joining the Mormon church, and the fact that the CURRENT missionaries in the relevant ward have left you alone FOR NOW, is in no way an example of Mormons eventually taking no for an answer.

Please know that I appreciate your desire to learn about Mormonism, Deb, and I respect that you cared enough about yourself to become informed before you took a step (joining the church) that you would have been bound to regret! In posting this, my desire is simply to correct your misimpression.

Date: April 15, 2011 07:32AM

I was just hinking of Cherly hosing those missionaries! I wish I could've been there to cheer her on!

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 12:17PM

JWs keep track by marking your door. Check it out the next time they come calling.

Posted by: tony ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 12:19PM

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 01:14PM

axeldc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> JWs keep track by marking your door. Check it out
> the next time they come calling.

Huh? Please explain. Thx

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 03:27PM

My girlfriend is ex-JW and says during he whole 20+ years as a JW, nobody ever marked doors. They had tracting books in which they recorded the areas they'd covered and when. We used those too on my mission.

Doesn't mean they don't mark doors, but Shila said she never heard of that.

Just sayin'...

Ron

Date: April 14, 2011 03:44PM

Never had except one encounter w/JW's. App. 20 yrs ago, they knocked on door, introduced themselves, and asked if they could share a verse from bible. Stated yes, and the visit didn't last even 10 minutes and that's all I've ever encountered as far as w/JW's in my 50 yrs. Lived in a much larger city then and didn't ever have any more encounters w/JW's. Haven't seen them in this smaller town I'm in @ present.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 16, 2011 09:05AM

Very annoying! Now I live in a "No Soliciting" community and am only rarely troubled by soliciting calls.

Date: April 14, 2011 12:26PM

WWN, I apologize if it sounded as if my message/post meant any other than It did @ all. I may have worded it wrong, but I do know that being in the LDS faith as all or most of you here have would be as belonging in a manipulating, coniving, persuasive "well oiled" institution. I know myself almost getting into the lds faith is in no comparison to years as well as decades of the controlling mechanism as it is obvious in which the LDS church is. And for the most part, those 4 mos. of myself being somewhat involved (not nearly @ capacity of any of you) had myself somewhat going from instant euphoria to confusion, manipulation, coercion, etc. i.e. having dreams,, then it'd have to be inevitable that being a member, especially for years or even decades would be mentally as well as emotionally traumatic. It would have to be. I'm certain words cannot describe what you all have been through. And I can definitely understand having fear whenever RS ladies, bishops, etc. come & knock on your door. I got a "slight taste" but never did go through anything as such as having someone "harass" you for years, decades, etc.And i do know y'all have been harassed so much over the yrs. and it's sad as well as despicable. I've never been through that and am sorry for any of you that have &/or still are. I've never in my life even known of a religion that literally try to "superglue" themselves to a member, ex, inactive, etc.

Date: April 14, 2011 03:24PM

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 04:02PM

As you see more and more each day, Deb, you saved yourself a great deal of unnecessary grief by not joining the Mormon church before you had sufficient information to make an informed choice. You came so close that I really thought you were going to have to learn the hard way, as so many of us did. I'm glad that you were one who managed just in time to escape the snare!

Date: April 14, 2011 03:38PM

Don't own any "superglue" here!!! Truthfully, don't have the stuff in my home. (lol)

Posted by: JamesL ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 05:19PM

Where I live, it's the other way around. I live in a community that has signs up forbidding all forms of soliciation, including religious, and the handing out of printed materials. The LDS missionaries were told to leave the property and not come back; they did so. The JW representatives were told to leave and responded with "We can do this wherever we want. You can't make us leave. We don't have to obey the law."

Posted by: Anon for this ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 05:50PM

When I first came to RFM I had not fully experienced these kinds of feelings but I have now. Just last week I received a RS flyer on my door and I cried for 10-15 minutes. Normally it wouldn't make me cry but 1. I was hormonal and 2. I've told the mormons in this area for two years now there should be no contact. We have resigned so they shouldn't be stopping by but they continue to do so. They won't leave us alone!

I have experienced trauma, I currently have a protective order against a family member and a stalking injunction against another. Repeatedly asking mormons to leave me alone and having them REFUSE or ignore me causes me distress. I've even stated it is distressing and they don't care. "We'll do our best." or "We'll try."

I now have a posted no trespassing sign on property and a note on my door that states if anyone is at the door for or on behalf of any religion they are trespassing and we will prosecute. And, I made it known to ward members that they are trespassing if they come to our home for or on behalf of religion. I did this by posting a note on all their doors...since the leaders of the area I'm in refuse to respect my directive on this matter.

Not only this but the JWs keep coming by every 3-4 months too! And they don't take no for an answer either! They got a letter from me recently stating they are trespassing if they come to the door.

Mormons, leave us alone! You are a bunch of disrespectful people who do not understand appropriate boundaries.

Date: April 15, 2011 07:34AM

If worse comes to worse, hose them down like Cheryl did. Or threated to sue the hell out of them and have a lawyer type up and cease desist letter.

Date: April 15, 2011 05:35PM

Don't know, (small college town) but we're having "terrible" weather here today and I saw different people on bikes. May have been college kids and may not have been(who knows) When I say bad weather, i don't mean some rain.(weather man breaking in all day long) (Since app. 11a)

Posted by: sukiyhtaky ( )
Date: April 15, 2011 10:48PM

JW's also withhold blood from dying infants and children. Anybody ever ask those kids if they wanted to die for their parents religion? Talk to a doctor someday and ask him how it feels to treat a baby who needs blood to save his life and the parents won't allow it. Ask him how it feels to watch that baby die. Still think the mormons look worse?

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: April 16, 2011 09:17AM

Yes, mormons still look worse. The world already has too many children. JW beliefs serve a useful function by reducing the population in the name of their god. So kids die. So what. What is your point sukiyhtaky?

Posted by: sukiyhtaky ( )
Date: April 16, 2011 07:06PM

To call for a reduction in world population by virtue of killing babies and children I think my point would be anyone even suggesting it is sick. Put a condom in the kids hand before the JW's resort to killing them. Are you telling us that is their reason for that particular belief? Really? Then that is just plain murder, which BTW it is anyway as far as I'm concerned. I see many posts about people being upset that kids are baptized before they realize what the mormon church is about, but here you are suggesting that JW's kill babies and children to easy over population but don't suggest it is wrong to force death on children who don't know what a JW is? Twisted is my point.

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: April 16, 2011 07:33PM

God is the murder by your logic. Maybe you don't know, but laws protect those parents in the name of their religion. Your judgement against them is unconstitutional in the United States.

There are too many people in the world. Mormons preach to multiply even more. JWs teach that if a child is ill and needs a blood transfusion they are to leave the child in the hands of their God.

At least their religion has one aspect that offsets the absurd increase in world population.

You have been rude on many other posts but you can't seem to deal with it here. They are just kids. No big deal. They are not your kids. Don't worry about them. Its not your problem.

Date: April 16, 2011 09:50AM

There are more dangerous and substantive issues in each cult. Perhaps we need more threads comparing different cults.

I agree with those who say one is bad, the other worse.

As far as harassment goes, they're both bad, but JWs at least attempt to keep and honor no-call lists. They don't do it out of respect, however, but only because they've been sued and forced to do it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2011 11:24AM by Cheryl.

Posted by: TheExorcist ( )
Date: April 15, 2011 10:59PM

The JWs are having their big "anniversary of Jesus' death" party soon and we have been "hit" twice in the last week and a half. With the Morg I think its more of a case of 1. missionaries - do we really expect 19 year old boys to be organized enough to keep the kind of records it would take to keep those contact lists updated. When I was on my mission it was hard enough to keep our weekly schedule organized and keep all the numbers straight. 2. local leadership - whenever there is a new bishop or stake president called they are always full of fire and think THEY are going to be the ones to get the name of the city changed to Zion and get them "taken up"

Date: April 16, 2011 12:40AM

jw's weird, also, huh? yes, here we once had a 28 yr. old missionary and he did seem somewhat more organized as far as daily schedules, etc. than 2 18 yr. olds.

Posted by: Mateo Pastor ( )
Date: April 16, 2011 05:38AM

The question here is "Where?"

WHERE do the JWs keep a no-call list and even respect it? Worldwide? Only in your country? Or does it depend on the area? The same goes for the Mormon cult, though we all know they don't seem to respect any boundaries anywhere they go. Then again, I've never heard of any mormons who formally resigned outside the USA. I wonder what would happen if I came out of my safe house to formally resign, then contact the local ward in my corner of Europe to let them know I am living on my particular address but do not wish to be contacted. I'm not gonna do it though. Let sleeping mormons lie.

I grant you that mormons are sore losers, but I don't know other cults enough to decide which cult is more cultish.

Date: April 16, 2011 08:25AM

They give those lists to those who tract the area. They've been sued and take this much more seriously than do mormons.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.