Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: September 08, 2022 05:11PM

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2022/09/08/former-utah-mayor-lds-bishop/

For those who can't access the Trib

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2022/9/8/23343242/mayor-bishop-arrested-child-sex-abuse

(Notice how differently the two articles address the bishop issue)

So much for "discernment"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 08, 2022 05:19PM

The Deseret News downplays his role as bishop, not mentioning it until the end of the article. Good for the judge, though -- she refused to grant bail.

Posted by: dot matrix printer ( )
Date: September 08, 2022 05:23PM

And the church and their victim hotline probably advised then current leaders~ 1996 that any allegations were baseless and without merit.

I think its very telling that there are more victims out there- many have probably suppressed their trauma of being violated by this man of god.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 08, 2022 05:34PM

The church grimaces, but soldiers on; how can they discern when the people won't tell the truth?!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 08, 2022 05:46PM

I'm at a loss as to what to say. These things are like iPhone clips of police killing innocent black people: so common, so exhausting, that one wants to turn off the TV and pretend it just ain't so. . .

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: September 08, 2022 06:39PM

I’m surprised it doesn’t happen a lot more often in an abusive sex CULT that sings the praises of its abusive sexual predator founder.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: September 09, 2022 10:32PM

Oh Lord hear the words of my mouth. I thought the stake president calls the bishop. Who's power of discernment was off?

Can anyone explain to me how does the process work of calling a bishop? How many people are involved in calling a bishop?

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: September 09, 2022 10:57PM

Bishop is recommended by SP, but it must be approved by FP.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/general-handbook/30-callings-in-the-church?lang=eng

See sections 30.7 and 30.8

"The stake presidency recommends brethren to be called or released as bishops. Recommendations are submitted to the First Presidency through Leader and Clerk Resources (LCR). A member of the stake presidency, a clerk, or the executive secretary may prepare the recommendation. However, only the stake president may submit it.

Before the stake president can call a new bishop, he must receive written approval of his recommendation from the First Presidency. With this approval, the stake president may ordain and set apart a bishop after ward members have sustained him in a sacrament meeting. Approval of the First Presidency is also required before a stake president may release a bishop. The stake president may not delegate these responsibilities."

"An Area Seventy or General Authority may also call, ordain, and set apart a bishop with approval from the First Presidency."

So the lack of discernment in this case goes all the way to the top.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.