Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Trisha ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 11:55AM

I just posted this on FB. Hopefully my TBM friends can take a hint?? Iam sure I will lose some friends today or I should expect knocks on my door from concerned leaders...

False prophets are particularly dangerous because they appear to be genuine. They seemingly have the credentials of authority. What are these credentials? Jesus calls them ‘sheep’s clothing’ (verse 15).

We should expect false prophets to engage in acts of kindness and charity. We should expect them to perform deeds which suggest miraculous power. And we should expect that these deeds be performed under the pretext of being done by God’s power and to His glory.

“For such men are false apostles, deceitful workers, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ. And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. Therefore it is not surprising if his servants also disguise themselves as servants of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their deeds” (2 Corinthians 11:13-15).
We should expect false prophets to be accompanied by religious works, often unusual and spectacular, done ostensibly in the name of God. Satan willingly gives the glory to God in such cases, so long as ultimately he is able to deceive people and cause them to their allegiance and obedience him.

But are these religious activities the fruits of which the Master spoke? If not, what are they? The Scriptures frequently describe the fruits of the false prophets, so that we are left with little doubt as to what we should look for. I believe we can see the fruits of the false prophets falling into three categories.

(1) The first category of the fruits of the false prophet is their doctrine. False prophets speak from their own delusion, not by divine command (Jeremiah 23:16,21,25; Ezekiel 13:2). They do not proclaim or defend God’s word, but deny it (Jeremiah 23:17). In particular they deny unpleasant subjects such as impending judgment (Jeremiah 6:14; 28:17; Ezekiel 13:10). They offer temporary and partial relief to pressing problems (Jeremiah 8:11). Mainly, they tell people precisely what they want to hear (1 Kings 22:8, 13; 2 Timothy 4:3-4). Concerning the way of salvation they deny the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ and they reject the work of Christ on the cross (2 Peter 2:1; 1 John 4:2-3).

(2) The second category of the fruits of the false prophets is the effect of their teaching in the lives of men. Invariably it leads to a rejection of God’s word, a rejection of biblical authority, a division among the saints (Jeremiah 23:2,14) and a life of sensuality (2 Peter 2:2). They attempt to lead men away from the truth of the gospel (Acts 13:8), and to deceive genuine Christians with false doctrine (Mark 13:22). This is also evident from the pastoral epistles (1 and 2Timothy and Titus) where Paul speaks of the need of sound or healthy doctrine (1 Tim. 4:6; 2 Tim. 4:3; Tit. 1:9; 2:1).

(3) Finally, there is the fruit of the false teachers as evidenced in their own moral character. They are easily distinguished by their pride (2 Peter 2:10), their greed (Jeremiah 8:10; Titus 1:11; 2 Peter 2:3,14) and immorality (Jeremiah 23:11,14; 2 Peter 2:14). They are men dominated by the flesh (2 Peter 2:10,12; 3:3). They prey upon the weak and the guilt-ridden (2 Timothy 3:6-7; 2 Peter 2:14,13). While they profess to know God, by their deeds they deny Him (Matthew 7:22-23; 2 Timothy 3:5; Titus 1:16). While they delight in authority, they refuse to submit to it (2 Peter 2:10).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 12:02PM

...LDS people will remain clueless and just agree with you. Unless, of course, somewhere in your communication you happen to be saying something about this referring to Mormons.

Date: April 14, 2011 12:09PM

Oh they are on to me......They will know Iam talking about them...

Also today I decided to start throwing away ensigns, and basically anything I look at and cringe now. It feels pretty damn good!

I asked DH if he plans on telling his mom (whose a hardcore TBM) that we don't believe in the church anymore, and he said no, he doesnt want to hurt her. I said to him, "well we both know the BOM is bullshit" and he replied with, "I never said that.."

WTH? He has been inactive for over 10 yrs and now, after I wake up and join him in reality, hes having doubts?? I asked him if he thought Satan was working on me? He said he didn't know....tonight I plan on sitting down with him and showing him the many reasons why the church ISN'T true, and how satan ISN'T working on me...

Posted by: Merovea ( )
Date: April 15, 2011 07:32PM

...at the same time quell your concerns. My husband has been horrible to me and has treated me very cruelly for all of the years of our marriage except until 2+ years ago when I discovered the fraud of Mormonism. I stated passionately that he had better never give another dime to TSCC or I would divorce him and he could pay on his portion of the "fortune". He has never set foot in church again, has never payed another dime to them...and he really got off on the amount of the latter. His whole self image and personal valuation was all about who he is, the money he makes (not spend!) etc...

The most remarquable behavioral change about him is how well he treats me now. WTF???? Not only that...but he is as consistant at being nice to me now as he was before at being horrid! I'm too old to not find peace and reasonable happiness in that fact!

However, the other day, when a DIL (TBM) asked what his "bucket list" is for his retirement. His amazing answer was "well, you know, now that "we" (jurked his chin toward me)are no longer in theee...you know what, I have had to make a lot of different plans..."which by the way are so much more interesting and fun than presiding over a mission, even if it were "at the Court of St. James"!

I love bashing mormonism in all of its splendor of falsehood... he will never say a bad word about it! He can't possibly believe any more in all of the craziness...but Trisha, he is a deeply rooted cultural Mormon. His roots are deep into pioneer stock from both his mother and father. You might have better understanding about your husband if I were to say that it's a lot like being Jewish. Most Jews do not go to their temple or worship in any way. Most don't even know the Torah! However, they are still a very cohesive people. Most will not consider marrying outside of the culture...a mistress yes, but not their breeding stock,,, just like the Mormons!

Trisha, if your DH has been inactive for over ten years, give him some slack. Only mention what you really want him to understand at those opportune times. Make it fun or keep quiet. Be grateful he is not paying tithing etc... If you push him, he might decide to become confused and seek enlightment from the bish...that's one you don't want! All you need is to infuse some guilt in him and puff...you might loose!

Good luck, Trish!

Date: April 14, 2011 12:03PM

BTW I am not saying I believe in the Bible, but if it IS true, this describes the mormon church....

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 12:17PM

Is not. Period. End of report.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 02:16PM

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 04:12PM

But seriously, pretending to speak for the creator of the universe seems to me to be nothing but unbelievable arrogance.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 04:13PM

Hard to put any kind of positive spin on it.

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 05:10PM

Posted by: sisterexmo ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 05:16PM

Anyone making ridiculous claims and promises that are just what the potential 'buyer' would love to be true.

Date: April 14, 2011 12:22PM

LOOK! My first reply

I don't think this sight is affiliated with the Mormon church and because of that they have half truths. be careful with this sight ,it can lead you to apostacy

Posted by: Charlie ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 05:13PM

That would be "site". Apostasy can be fun, if it is coupled with sexual deviation!

Posted by: Davo ( )
Date: April 15, 2011 06:57PM

I've been an "apostate" now for several years. It's been the best years of my life. If you havn't tried it, don't knock it.

Please consider that Joseph Smith, Brigham Young and ALL of the early leaders (and members) of the Mormon Church were "apostates"! "Apostate" means turning from a former loyalty. Did not all LDS leaders (and members) "turn from" their former beliefs?--making them "apostates"? We apostates here, are not doing anything your LDS founding leadership haven't done. In a way, we ARE "following" their example.

jus sayin...

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: April 15, 2011 09:35PM

Davo, you are right. This is just what the exmos need to tell their family members who are unkind to them.

Posted by: Rod ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 12:39PM

..in the mormon case, nada, nothing, zero, zilch - COMES TRUE.

Posted by: Rob ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 12:45PM

I always get a kick out of the phrase 'half truth'.

What does that mean? It's either true or it is a lie.

I think "half truths" is one of those thought-stopping expressions to get people to quit probing for answers.

Posted by: Anon455 ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 02:57PM

A half truth is a statement that is true on its face but fails to give the full context, which would (if known) change the recipient's belief.

For example, in the Mormon context, "God loves you." This is true. But what they fail to tell you is "only if you abide by the covenants that only we possess."

Posted by: LordBritish ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 03:05PM

+1 +1 +1!!

Posted by: Anon ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 05:05PM

... and only if you wear magic underpants!

Posted by: Rob ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 05:23PM

Anon455 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A half truth is a statement that is true on its
> face but fails to give the full context,

...that's what I'm trying to say. The response to Trisha was to avoid this site, because we use "half -truths". If it's not the "full truth" then it must be a lie. Mormons don't want you to even look at "half-truths" because if you research more, it will lead you to the full truth which is not favorable to mormonism.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 02:10PM

Excellent summary, Trisha!

See also my discussion at http://packham.n4m.org/satan.htm "How to tell when information is from Satan"

Trisha, may I add your summary to that webpage (with attribution, of course)?

Date: April 14, 2011 02:16PM

Sorry i cannot takecredit for this. Here is where I found it:

http://bible.org/question/how-can-we-discern-false-teachers

Posted by: hotwaterblue ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 03:07PM

A false prophet is anyone that says they're a prophet. Kinda simple.

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 04:06PM

I'd like to add to that, "Anyone who uses his spiritual 'authority' to get more sex"...see not only Joseph Smith but Brigham Young, Mohammed, David Koresh, Jim Jones, etc., etc....

Posted by: yours_truly ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 03:23PM

Alternatively, and preferrably, one could use the even older testament's words:"He who claimeth to be a prophet is a liar!"

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 04:02PM

You spot false profits by going over a corporations books. Something the morg wont allow. I am left to wonder if any of thier profits are true. Though Im sure the prophets salary is un influenced by the corps profits anyhow. In a money making church where there are false profits you are likely to find false prophets.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2011 04:03PM by luckychucky.

Posted by: libby ( )
Date: April 15, 2011 07:45PM

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: April 15, 2011 09:34PM

Trisha, that was a wonderful post. Thanks for that.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 16, 2011 03:10PM

Go to general conference

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: April 16, 2011 09:24PM

The best way if to find a guy that thought it was ok to burn a newspaper in the U.S. in the middle of the night, being the Mayer of the town, then jumps on a horse to hight tail it out of town and has 14 years olds wives running after him. You find him in jail and shot to death for lying, cheating, stealing, printing his own money, marrying others mens wives and pretending to have a large book of gold plates, and being a pedophile. That's a good start. Maybe he also intoduces polygamy into the United States, all in the name of a voodoo stolen masonic cult.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.