Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: AZCrazy ( )
Date: September 16, 2022 04:58AM

Three part documentary premiered on Netflix yesterday entitled "Sins Of The Mother"...anybody see it yet...thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 16, 2022 09:45AM

I haven't and won't just because of the yuck factor. Plus the trials haven't even started yet. We will be hearing plenty more when they start in a few months.

I don't even know if charges have been filed yet in the cases of the other suspicious deaths of spouses and ex-spouses connected to these two.

In related news, some 37 y.o. clown in St George this week pleaded guilty but mentally ill to setting 3 LDS meetinghouses on fire, significantly damaging two of them. He is ordered to pay $1.3 million in restitution (like that's going to happen), and when arrested after a high-speed chase, he claimed he was "a type of god".

Gee, thanks for giving Mormons that little delusional meme, JS. The Daybell's seemed to have the same delusion, as did the FLDS clown arrested this week for hauling around young girls across state lines locked in a trailer.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 16, 2022 11:07AM

What's the point of being a God in the afterlife if you can't take advantage of it now?

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: September 18, 2022 09:08AM

Maybe he thinks this IS the afterlife...

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 16, 2022 10:33AM

I think they should wait until after her trial for TV shows about her.

They will maybe find a way to claim it as yet another reason she can't get a fair trial. She's in the news all the time with their latest attempt to clog up the legal system. Now they are arguing that cameras should not be allowed (as she sits there posing). They claim media has abused their privilege photographing everything.

So, I suspect a TV show will give them even more fodder to delay. True, the media is not blameless, making everything harder. There was no reason IMO for Idaho local news to go on and on about her son in Arizona who was accused of something that was dropped.

I am getting frustrated that they are allowed to delay with one lame thing after another.

Posted by: AZ Crazy ( )
Date: September 17, 2022 06:10PM

I just watched all three episodes and its very interesting - I recommend it. It deals a lot with LDS church culture and doctrine and to an outsider will make the church seem even more insane....much like the Warren Jeffs Netflix doc did.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 17, 2022 09:21PM

Unless you would like to see it. Meanwhile here is my Readers Digest version:

First, the show is painful to view not just because of the crimes but also because it is so very tediously Mormon. For people like us, the fast-forward function is a real temptation.

Second, as with the FLDS, the Laffertys, etc., Vallow and Daybell fit squarely in the Mormon tradition. The last-days nonsense, the apocalyptic visions and preparatory food storage, the Church of the Firstborn, the us-versus-them thinking: it is the sort of 1960s and 1970s Mormonism that many RfM-ers will remember like the smell of pot roast on a Sunday afternoon.

Third, I have heard horror stories about the AZ police--violations of people's rights, a propensity for violence, unconstitutional laws against the videotaping of officers, etc--and this show presents yet another wrinkle. For when Charles Vallow reported Lori to the police as an imminent danger to the children and himself and she went in for her interview, it was a matter of minutes before her blond hair, beautiful smile, and flirtatious manner had them eating out of her hand. As EOD can sincerely attest, many men lose all common sense in the presence of a charming woman. And meanwhile the hapless Charles Vallow's life may be measured in hours, not days or months let alone years.

Fourth, you know you are in lala land when Julie Rowe is the voice of reason. Again, she and the others would be entirely comfortable in 1960s Mormonism, the 1850s Reformation, and the Kirtland period. Rowe is a genuine Mormon phenomenon, and she remained friends with Chad Daybell until the murders started. So her eye rolling in astonishment at the Vallow-Daybell excesses--how could they have lost all sense of proportion?--induces in at least this viewer's mind a sense of vertigo.

Fourth, you can see the magnitude of the challenge confronting today's LDS church. How exactly is the milk-before-truth diet going to keep people satisfied who were reared on deep doctrine and apocalyptic visions?

If the church wants to dissociate itself from these freaks, it must become the mainstream religion it claims to be by purging the molesters and the religious and political extremists and starting anew with the three apostles, 14 bishops, and 137 believers who are still left. The only alternative is to remain the Julie Rowe of organized religion: good for nothing but making other churches--looking at you, Paula White--appear less insane.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2022 03:07AM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 17, 2022 09:37PM

Date: September 17, 2022 09:40PM

Date: September 17, 2022 09:44PM

Hey, they're called Crimes of Passion for a very, very good reason!

Date: September 17, 2022 09:47PM

And yet you are still left with a rotary phone.

Date: September 17, 2022 09:49PM

...which squeaks!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 18, 2022 02:29AM

I just lubed (my rotary phone); all is well in Zion...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2022 02:34AM by GNPE.

Posted by: auntsukey ( )
Date: September 18, 2022 11:46AM

This has been fascinating to follow since the kids were first missing. The doc is well done but due to time limits, leaves out a lot.

No mention was made of the storage facility where the kids belongings were left. That was a chilling development.

I recall hearing Julie Rowe's name mentioned early on connected to Daybell. Also his books on Amazon were interesting - glowing 5 star reviews from Mormons who were deliriously happy to know details of what's coming. And soon! Then the later 1 star comments asking, "Chad! Where are the kids"!

The doc featured Lori's son Colby and was finished before his separation from his wife and later arrest for "sexual assault" (presumably of her.) Case dismissed without prejudice. I'm guessing she couldn't deal with the drama (I don't blame her) and I'm guessing the separation was one more trust violation and frustration for him (no excuse but understandable acting out.)

It seems many podcasts are following the story, among them, Hidden-A True Crime Podcast with Mormon journalist Lauren Matthias and her non-Mormon husband, forensic psychologist Dr. John Matthias, who contributed to the Netflix doc.

They make an interesting pair. They seem to navigate their faith differences well, but I wonder if, for her sake, he tiptoes around the Mormon "WooWoo" influence on Daybell and Vallow's belief system.

Hoping there is a follow-up when the trial finishes.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.