Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 16, 2022 12:28PM

I have a copy of a Mayan Stella on my mantle. It disturbs me the Mormonism has tried to hijack the Maya.

Reading this I can totally see some Mormons claiming some small groups of Maya being Nephites.

Fascinating article if you are interested. The fact that Maya could have any connection to the bom is so laughable as to be ignorance itself.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/13/science/archaeology-mayan-mexico.html

Imagine a Nephite with a bludgeon and a headdress described as a king with a metal sword.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: September 16, 2022 12:46PM

The other day I looked up a GC talk given by 70 Bill Jackson about the "Culture of Christ" where he talks about how people can keep most of their culture if they join The Churchâ„¢; I thought:"So, you're saying that Native Americans can "keep most of their culture" at the the same time your foundational document, the BoM, and all the "prophets" tell them that they aren't even who science and history clearly says they are!?"

Date: September 16, 2022 02:26PM

I suspect a reevaluation of the book and a prophet saying Joseph got the population census off a bit but that doesn't change the truths.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 16, 2022 03:52PM

Right or wrong, truth is eternal.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 16, 2022 03:18PM

Once people become Mormon, they must absorb Mormon values and traditions. It is from that point forward that they are free to "keep most of their culture."

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: September 16, 2022 04:30PM

It is a holdover from the days of Thomas Ferguson, an attorney whom the church sent down to Mesoamerica to find proof of the BoM. He learned how top be an archaeologist on the job. After a few years he realized that there was absolutely no evidence for the BoM in central America, and ended up leaving Mormonism altogether. But the general membership never learned about that last bit, and hence they all "know" that the Mayans were Nephites. And the church leadership will never tell them different.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 16, 2022 04:36PM

When Ferguson was getting deeply involved and the project looked promising, the church took it away from him. Because if it's good propaganda material, it belongs to the church.

But of course. . .

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 16, 2022 06:09PM

Don't confuse Maya with those blood thirsty Aztecs.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 17, 2022 02:01AM

Maybe Nephites bred jackalopes. Those things had to come from somewhere.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: September 19, 2022 02:14PM

Hahahahha. That's priceless.

Date: September 19, 2022 02:50PM

They were there horses.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.