Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 23, 2022 12:23PM

Jesus wants you for a Sunbeam--which is cute but he is MIA, so, whatever . . . Russ, however, wants you for a Tortoise. His MIA status is up for debate.

The fable of The Hare and the Tortoise is very misleading when considered. One experienced life and the other plodded. One explored. One plodded. One tried new things. One plodded.

I read a report once saying that the most successful people do the least possible and a sign of high intelligence is to put off what has to be done and then going at it like hell at at the very last minute and coming through with elan. And your mind's clock knows exactly what that minute is --down to the second--when you should shift into over-drive. Your hypomania kicks in and Wham Bam you pull it off. (This was about people who are hands on-- not CEO types that delegate everything.)

Unfortunately you can't buy hypomania at the store and there are no self help books on how to get it. It's a gift. Sorry. Ralph Nader is not sharing his.

I have always believed that our subconscious minds are continually working like crazy during our down times. And then, we emerge from our temporary sloth armed for excellence in a way that the slow steady turtle never was. My personal proof: Sometimes I wouldn't paint for years but when I started up again, I was always way better than where I left off. We achieve not necessarily by "practice makes perfect", but with the sum of the observations we have made that go into a bank all stored up and ready to spend when the timer goes off.

And hare brained behavior? I once went from a C to an A minus in a Science course at the Y by hypomaniacly cramming all night for the final.

But back to the tortoise and the hare. Lets face it. Whose autobiography do you want to read? Both coming soon to Amazon. Or, at least I assume so since there is nothing on earth Amazon doesn't sell.

"Gone Without The Wind" ----by Arthur C. Turtle* "Almost as good as watching paint dry", says Gladys from East Cupcake, Utah, (AKA Happy Valley) praising the book. (What do you expect from someone who thinks General Conference is fun?) *Usually on back order and only comes snail mail.

" A Hare Brained Life" ----- by Phunn E. Bunny "The wrong way to do everything righ! "says Lorenzo from Los Angeles, California--the city where Satan reigns supreme--- in his review. Free Overnight shipping available.

After the race at the after party, the tortoise sat with his trophy and a few friends who kept telling him how wonderful he was that he kept his nose to the grindstone, his shoulder to the wheel, and won! He did win, didn't he?

Meanwhile at the other end of the bar, the real revelry was the Hare regaling bunnies and skunks and ducks with his adventures to peels of laughter, yea, unto tears as Tortoise and pals snuck sideways glances in budding envy as they caught snippets the road not taken.

The moral of the story is plodders secretly love a hare? Everyone loves a bad boy. Tortoises do get the gold watch in the end--being the reward for being the wind beneath the wings of the high flyers. Will Russ's tortoises get the Gold Throne in the end? Hmmmnnnn.

Perhaps be the tortoise and the hare? And occasionally a few other animals.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: September 23, 2022 12:53PM

That's superb, D&D :-D

And that from someone who only worked for a month in my final year - the last month before my final exams - to read all the books (I studied French and English language and literature, whatever that is ;-). I got a BA with a 2:1 and a special distinction for my spoken French. I think exams-based systems are extremely unjust because they allow lazy bastards like me to succeed ;-)

The problem is, that with age, some of us hares turn into tortoises as our joints seize up.

Have a haring weekend ;-)

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 23, 2022 02:12PM

Wow. I think I've narrowed down your university to, say, two possibilities.

Could be wrong, as always, but from what I've heard. . .

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: September 23, 2022 03:28PM

Date: September 23, 2022 03:42PM

Damn! I got it wrong.

That's what I get for guessing on the basis of limited information!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 23, 2022 06:06PM

I'm sure we'll all be amazed when ghawd helps us understand just how much we didn't know we didn't know.

Date: September 23, 2022 07:00PM

Agreed, Mr. Rumsfeld!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 23, 2022 01:23PM

I got a beastiality feeling reading this. Reminds me of a Picasso.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: September 23, 2022 01:29PM

That's an awesome way to put it. I was a tortoise during my days deeply mired in mormonism. I was told that there was a carrot up there somewhere and as long as I kept plodding, I would get there. Thanks for the perspective, I will now ponder that while I take my brunch nap.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 23, 2022 01:35PM

haha. Love your last line.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 23, 2022 03:28PM

Hares get more carrots.

Posted by: Taker Adjunct ( )
Date: September 29, 2022 03:13PM

Hypomania has a pleasant ring to it. That and four cups of coffee aughta get yer blood rushing’.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.