Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: October 03, 2022 11:29AM

My cousin and her husband just came home from him being a mission president on the very far tip of South America. He has always had money just from being successful in his business of CANNING vegies, etc. He owned part of a business before he left. Now he is having a hard time finding work. He'll be 60 at any time.

I said something to my sister, whose husband used to be quite mormon (after high school that is) and his uncle was a mission president, etc., and her husband said that mission presidents aren't paid. That they use their own money. Does anyone have something that they have evidence that mission presidents don't pay.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 03, 2022 11:37AM

She is partly correct. Mission presidents aren't paid but don't have to pay for anything. All of their needs and then some are paid for by the church.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2022 11:38AM by Elder Berry.

Date: October 03, 2022 11:45AM

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: October 03, 2022 11:48AM

When I was a missionary back in the dark ages of paper money and checks, and wire bank transfers my Mission President received a monthly stipend, his children attended Brigham Young University for free (housing, meals included), and all mission home and car expenses were covered by a very generous budget, that had plenty of money in surplus.

The church has become much more thrifty, so maybe it doesn't take such good care of MPs.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: October 03, 2022 11:53AM

A family member was a mission president in the 90's and left a thriving medical practice to do so. He was about 60. I don't know anything about a stipend or being paid. I do know that when he got back, he had to go in with another doctor and revive his medical career because they needed the income.

Date: October 03, 2022 11:57AM

has run into. He has been looking for a job since he got back in July. Nothing. He is a very nice man. I don't like my cousin much, but I like her husband. Can't figure out why he married her. Anyway, he has always been very successful and now he can't find a job. He is quite depressed about it.

Date: October 03, 2022 12:06PM

Their Lord will provide.

To bad if he is a nice guy. Where are his blessings???

If a man is rich and can have someone look after his riches a mission president high is a working vacation - working for the church.

If he is a poor man he gets to live like a rich one and then be poorer still for lost time and a hole in the resume.

Not like a 20 something bouncing back into making a living life.

Date: October 03, 2022 04:44PM

There is a great reluctance to hire people in their 60s to higher level positions, higher medical insurance costs per employees and the Generation Z set think anyone over 40 is ancient and irrelevant. I had a friend interview for a job where he invented the software method the company uses, he was told he was not dynamic enough and out of touch with the technology.

Take a walk on the campus of Google/Alphabet, Apple or Facebook. You'll be hard pressed to see a 60 year old white male anywhere.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 03, 2022 04:49PM

"Old people party likes it's 1988!"

-Judic West, looking over the top of his reading glasses

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 03, 2022 04:55PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Old people party likess it's 1988!"

Just wanted to add another "s" to Jesus's post.

Now I really likesss it!

Date: October 03, 2022 05:18PM

Prescious precious said like Golum.

Posted by: AntiquariFiend ( )
Date: October 03, 2022 05:22PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> "Old people party likes it's 1988!"
>
> -Judic West, looking over the top of his reading
> glasses

1970, in my case.

Some people go through a "second childhood." I'm having fun in my second adolescence. Just don't expect me to "act my age." I've never been this old before!

Date: October 03, 2022 05:34PM

I'm the oldest I've ever been but it feels like 1999.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 03, 2022 12:12PM

I also had a uncle who was a doctor who left his very lucrative position early to be a mission president.

When they came home, in passing, my aunt mentioned that they estimate the mission and time lost cost them close to a million dollars. This is because he cut off his salary and hit their investments early. Sure, a lot of expenses are paid by the church, but they lived very large. Apparently the prestige and heavenly brownie points were worth it. She said how great it was to have all those missionaries like sons and daughters and the memories. One of their sons is now a GA, so that's sort of another payback they received.

I know of another mission president (cousin) who got back and had to work a couple extra years. Luckily he was able to get back into his career.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 03, 2022 12:03PM

I am fairly certain that the church "reimburses" their living expenditures- just don't call it a paid salary.

Obviously if your business goes under, or a board votes you out while you are serving as MP then tough. Funny how that's not supposed to happen if your are chosen to lead a mission!

Posted by: Dallin Ox ( )
Date: October 03, 2022 12:32PM

The MP Handbook is available here:

https://mormonleaks.io/wiki/documents/0/03/Mission_Presidents_Handbook_2006.pdf

See Appendix B, "Family Finances," pp. 80-83. (click on image 84 in thumbnails on left side)

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 03, 2022 12:41PM

cl2notloggedin Wrote:
> My cousin and her husband just came home from him
> being a mission president on the very far tip of
> South America.

The Tierra del Fuego mission? That's exotic!

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 03, 2022 02:37PM

The only MP I personally know (at least that I'm aware of) was a doctor; now he's a 70, and spoke at the April 2022 GC. So I assume he gets paid?

Date: October 03, 2022 02:57PM

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: October 03, 2022 04:14PM

Had a friend close his business to be a mission president.

Yes the time they had non taxable stipends, but that ends when they get home.

Then they're on their own.

This is not the economy for seasoned folks to try and find a job.

Hopefully something will work for him.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 03, 2022 04:54PM

Two of my doctors, Dr. S and Dr. J did medical missions, one to Mongolia and another to S Africa where his family had emigrated from in 1957. Dr. S who did the Mongolia mission went back into practice for 3 or 4 years after he got back (he owns some valuable farmland so maybe he just needed to top up)and when asked if Doc J was going to practice medicine again after three got back from S Africa, he said no, and that the church had further plans for Dr. J. I've not seen Dr. Js name mention as having been called as a GA.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2022 04:55PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 03, 2022 04:59PM

Odds are that it's Dr. J's 'connections' to Africa that ghawd wants to take advantage of.

Posted by: blindguy ( )

The answers on this thread suggest another very good reason not to go into the Mormon, excuse me, LDS, mission program. Unless you have good connections, you will be financially in much worse shape when you get done than when you started.

Same is true for joining the church.

Date: October 04, 2022 01:00PM

I have a friend who teaches classes virtually for BYU Hawaii, he's a very smart guy and has advanced degrees but not in the field he teaches in. He did a senior mission for the Church and that was good enough to get him hired as a lecturer on line for BYU Hawaii, which is basically a high school level institution for LDS Kids from Asia and the Pacific.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.