Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: deb ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 03:36PM

Reading some of the recent post which is pertaining to all of the people who "aggressively, rudely, etc." annoy/pester people in their house. The RS, Bishops, Missionaries, Members, etc coming by. They are ALL like pitbulls, from the way it sounds to me. It appears, especially if you are a member(inactive or active) or an ex-member that they just do not know the words "no, i'm not interested" "no, we're busy" and so forth. So the "pit bullish" style doesn't stop until you resign from Mormonism, huh.? It does appear that they are like "pits" and they leech on and don't let go. It appears as if it doesn't stop @ one level that it just keeps trickling from local "authorities" on down. Are the locals persuaded by their superiors to conduct themselves, as such?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 04:28PM

They feel very elete and entitled to speak for god who infuses them with His own true words, words out of the reach of the masses of lesser humanity.

Jews are also chosen, but they see it more as burden to bear more tha an elete status level like mormons.

So if a mormon is exerting effort to convert, activate, or motivate someone in the gospel, they feel empowered and will not back down much like a pitbull with a meaty bone in its jaws.

They do all of this using an earnest kind-sounding soft tone but with steel in their spine and ferver in their eyes. I think most of them love throwing their weight around at unworthy-types because they've had to buckle under to mormon authority for most of their lives.

Those who hate aggressively building the kingdom lose some credibility and probably feel pressured to change and become stronger voices for God.

Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 04:29PM

I think a lot of it depends on your local leaders. I had geared myself up to be prepared for a 'worst case scenario' when I informed the local bishop I was resigning. But I haven't had any of the horrendous experiences that so many others have had to endure. Folks are pretty laid back in my neck of the woods; aside from a couple of mild love-bombs early on, I've been left alone. I was polite but firm, established boundaries with myself and my family, and mentioned that if my resignation was held up by any beaurocratic 'red tape' or if I was harassed in any way after specifically stating that I was resigning, I had an attorney who was apprised of the situation and would contact Salt Lake for me, if need be. That's been sufficient for me here: there's no question that I've been talked about, and been seen as a project, I know that. But it's been made clear to both the bishop and stake president, in writing, that I have resigned, that I expect to see a letter reflecting my 'ex' status from Salt Lake, and that I mean business. My children still attend (dad and stepmom are members and the kids leaving with me is not an option at this point) so I do interact with other members here and there. It's mostly been pretty normal; I suspect that's because my leaving has so far been kept under wraps. The onus is on the bishop to determine how to deal with my exit: on the one hand I'm sure they don't want me to be a potential example and influence on others to leave. On the other hand, there are acquaintance who have known me for years and get along well with me, and it's obvious I've at least walked away. I haven't shoved it in anyone's face, but I'm not hiding it either. I attend a different church and am involved with marriage equality/social justice issues in the community, so......whatever. For myself, I'm relieved, but alert. I may have had a few golden retrievers who tried to 'retrieve' me, but there are plenty of pitbulls out there. And I'm wary..........

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 04:36PM

But they are pitbulls with bright smiles and come baring gifts of the sugar and chocolate variety.

I am quite confident than any TBM lurking here today will be offended by that analogy. They simply have no idea how their "good intentions" come across...

Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: April 14, 2011 04:39PM

I agree; I've not had it done to me, but I've seen members in other places in action. Creepy, and effed up as all get out to anyone who lives in reality.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.