Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: October 17, 2022 10:00AM

"The Exorcist" (1973) is fiction, not reality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V-Ui69hDpA

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: October 17, 2022 09:44PM

I think it is hysterical that some think the spells in Harry Potter are real. I can think of a few people I would like to "Depulso" lol.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 17, 2022 10:21PM

Date: October 17, 2022 11:28PM

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 17, 2022 11:51PM

I think somebody has been watching too many Halloween movies. Witchcraft doesn’t seem to be getting much of a rise out of people these days. They are more worried about all the trans girls who fake-switched so they can commandeer the state girls volleyball championship trophy. ::eye roll::

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 18, 2022 12:33AM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think somebody has been watching too many
> Halloween movies.

True.

The Omen and the Exorcist and other late 1960s/early 1970s horror flicks look silly now. That sort of thing requires a general belief in the Biblical narrative to be terrifying.

As for modern horror, nothing beats the child sacrifices in the basement of the pizzeria in Washington, DC.

Date: October 18, 2022 01:22AM

I love the old stuff. I even like the really old black/white. Campy is good! I ran into The Horror of It All with Pat Boone the other night and lmao. Omen, Exorcist bring 'em on. The old Hammer flicks are great. I pretty much like it all.

BUT

OMG this new garbage that AMC is producing with the Anne Rice books is a sin. Just awful. Such an insult to her memory. They have butchered the story, the acting is HORRIBLE. I am glad she never had to see this.

Date: October 18, 2022 02:32AM

Yes, I sometimes watch the old horror flicks too. But when the Exorcist came out, didn't Christian groups tell their members not to see it because it might give Satan a way into their hearts? I've been told that.

The point I'm suggesting is that that wouldn't happen now, or at least not as much now, since people are less invested in traditional Biblical and Catholic mythology than they were back then.

Is that fair?

Date: October 18, 2022 02:55AM

I don't know, they are still banning and burning Harry Potter. We have a bunch of crazy people out there...

And yes, I heard all kinds of stuff about the Exorcist. So dumb.

Date: October 18, 2022 03:03AM

Yes, I was hedging my bets. My impression is that the superstitious credulity has decreased a lot for half or more of the US population but a significant chunk--30%?--definitely prefer lala land.

Posted by: Margie ( )
Date: October 18, 2022 05:55AM

Susan I/S Wrote:
> I love the old stuff. I even like the really old
> black/white. Campy is good! I ran into The
> Horror of It All with Pat Boone the other night
> and lmao. Omen, Exorcist bring 'em on. The old
> Hammer flicks are great. I pretty much like it
> all.
>
> BUT
>
> OMG this new garbage that AMC is producing with
> the Anne Rice books is a sin. Just awful. Such
> an insult to her memory. They have butchered the
> story, the acting is HORRIBLE. I am glad she
> never had to see this.

Date: October 18, 2022 05:56AM

Margie Wrote:
> Susan I/S Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I love the old stuff. I even like the really
> old
> > black/white. Campy is good! I ran into The
> > Horror of It All with Pat Boone the other night
> > and lmao. Omen, Exorcist bring 'em on. The
> old
> > Hammer flicks are great. I pretty much like it
> > all.
> >
> > BUT
> >
> > OMG this new garbage that AMC is producing with
> > the Anne Rice books is a sin. Just awful.
> Such
> > an insult to her memory. They have butchered
> the
> > story, the acting is HORRIBLE. I am glad she
> > never had to see this.

Date: October 18, 2022 10:02AM

OK, it looks like you have mastered clicking the "quote" button. Time to up your game and actually type something. ;)

Date: October 18, 2022 01:36PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
> OK, it looks like you have mastered clicking the
> "quote" button. Time to up your game and actually
> type something. ;)

Date: October 18, 2022 06:00AM

One of my favorite old movies is Carnival of Souls" 1968

Date: October 18, 2022 06:15AM

Interesting. And a Utah tie in. I don't remember this one, I will keep an eye out. Thanks!

Date: October 18, 2022 11:50AM

Ah, I spoke too soon. You did type something. I assume you are new and feeling your way around to find out how the software works. In that case, ignore me, and welcome.

I've never heard of Carnival of Souls, but then, I was in the middle of my mission in 1968, so I missed a lot of things - the RFK and MLK assassinations, the riots at the Dem National Convention, several early Apollo moon shots, the Prague Spring, the Tet Offensive, little things like that. I missed almost all the movies that came out for two years, and it was years before I heard the song White Rabbit. When I heard it I commented to friends that it was a really cool song, and asked who performed it. This was maybe ten years later. I was roundly mocked for having been living under a rock.

Date: October 18, 2022 06:23AM

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/texas-mom-warns-parents-against-hocus-pocus-2-harm-kids-1235396447/

Texas mother Jamie Gooch has gone viral after warning parents about the danger of letting their children watch “Hocus Pocus 2,” which started streaming Sept. 30 on Disney+. The film finds Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker and Kathy Najimy reprising their roles as the Sanderson sisters, a trio of child-hungry witches. Gooch first warned parents about the film on social and then joined CBS’ local Texas affiliate KWTX for a now-viral interview.

“A worst case scenario is: you unleash hell on your kids and in your home,” Gooch said. “The whole movie is based on witches harvesting children for blood sacrifices.”

“Do not watch this film,” she continued. “Everybody thinks it’s fake and innocent, but they could be casting any type of spell that they want to, anything could be coming through that TV screen into your home.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 18, 2022 07:50AM

Whatever you do, don't let your kids play Bette Midler records backwards.

Posted by: skp ( )
Date: October 18, 2022 10:59AM

Oh my God, that's terrifying!

The interview, not the movie.

I mean, the movie is scary too, but only inasmuch as I'm scared that I'd never get that hour and a half of my life back...

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 18, 2022 01:51AM

Failure to discern between the Real & Myths/Lies/Fabels never goes unpunished.

Date: October 18, 2022 06:26AM

https://www.masslive.com/living/2022/09/visiting-salem-tour-hocus-pocus-filming-locations-the-salem-witch-museum-and-more.html

Visit the Salem Witch Museum
This museum examines “one of the most enduring and emotional events” in U.S. history, according to its website, the infamous Salem Witch Trials which took placed in 1692.

The museum features 13 life-size stage sets, in addition to figures, lighting and narration meant to immerse museum-goers in the “web of lies and intrigue” of the witch-hunt in Salem as well as examines the meaning behind the word witch and depictions of witches over time. Presentations are available every half hour.

The museum also has a mission to “be the voice of the innocent victims of the witch-hunt of 1692″ and also raise awareness of the root causes of witch-hunts and how they continue to affect human society.

The museum is normally open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., but has special extended hours throughout the month of October, according to its website.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: October 18, 2022 11:27AM

In movies at least I think the Marvel comics and generally inane fantasy tales have taken over from the old horror genre.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: October 18, 2022 02:14PM

Actually, I'm not surprised by this. I've noticed for some time now that some humans in the United States are really in to backwards thinking, and this has political implications.

It kind of reminds me of when I was in an advertising class in the late 1980s and the professor told us that there were some people that polling found who believed that the Pillsbury doughboy was a real person. I mean if you have people who believe that then it isn't much further to find people who still believe in the concept of witchcraft even in the 21st century.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.