Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 18, 2022 06:35PM

The food business is big business and much of it is all about salt, sugar, and oil. It's a grease feast and a keep sweet treat all wrapped up in preservatives...

And so this kinda dovetails with preservative of one's silly old soul for Mormon eternities.

If the church were a food cult-orporation what would their additives to human (mental) consumption be?

Is guilt a preservative or an artificial sweetener? Does adding it to a person's life through church callings, conference talks, personal priesthood interviews involve saccharine or salty superiority speech?

What is being asked to give a talk? Is that pickling oneself with the church for the coming eternities?

What about preservation of the dead? Can the temple be seen as a god factory? Food for the gods?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: October 18, 2022 06:44PM

>> If the church were food corporation...<<

Its customers would starve to death, unless they only drink milk.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: October 18, 2022 09:35PM

Roy G Biv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >> If the church were food corporation...<<
>
> Its customers would starve to death, unless they
> only drink milk.

They certainly wouldn't be getting any meat until later; and by the time they got it, the meat would have spoiled.

Edit to add: So, in essence, if the Mormon church were, say, a restaurant (that's a kind of food corporation), you'd get sour milk (the promise was better) first followed by meat that is rotten (it's the sick truth) followed by sweet spirits that are really bittersweet (because they are full of sour grapes).

No thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2022 11:08PM by blindguy.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 18, 2022 07:28PM

Lamanites are deep-fried Twinkies

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 18, 2022 09:54PM

You gotta get out and meet other Lamanites; they're not all like me!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 19, 2022 01:05AM

ChurchCo owned U & I sugar at one time, idk about now

Date: October 19, 2022 11:06AM

Interesting correlation between religion and food. Where there is a word of wisdom there is not much will power.

"Measuring ‘god salience’
The researchers, which also included Lauren Grewal and Fuqua Ph.D. graduate Eugenia C. Wu, discovered these trends in consumer behavior through a number of studies. These studies included original experiments and analyses of market research and census data to detect how big a role God played in people’s lives, or to measure “god salience” in people’s daily lives.

In one analysis, the researchers studied consumer behavior in nearly 400 U.S. counties and how it correlated with the proportion of religious congregations for every 1,000 residents, another measure of god salience. They found that grocery store shoppers in counties with a higher density of religious congregations spent less money on products marketed to improve their health, such as low-fat options for milk, yogurt, peanut butter and salty snacks. This occurred even after the researchers controlled for factors such as age, gender, average body mass index (BMI) and other variables."
https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/duke-fuqua-insights/keisha-cutright-thinking-about-god-lowers-consumer-interest-self-improvement

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: October 19, 2022 03:55PM

A few years ago, I helped my in-laws move from a home that they had lived in for almost forty years. I had the unfortunate task of cleaning out their ancient food storage. I'd say everything about Mormonism can be summed up in the home canned toxic bottles of sludge that I had to take to the dump.

Date: October 19, 2022 04:45PM

Truth. If they were a food Corp it would be food storage and feeding people to work for dead people. Depressing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2022 04:45PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: October 20, 2022 01:09PM

in my parents' basement. I knew that my sisters had cleaned out the cupboards in the kitchen. Thankfully, they had banned me from the the family basically right after my parents died, so I didn't have to do that cleaning (though I went in and deep cleaned after they were done). So I assumed they had moved out the jars from the deep dark food storage room. Nope.

Found out they had started leaking and my oldest brother hauled out a load once a week and put them in the trash and then cleaned up the cement floor.

My oldest brother and my 2nd to last brother are both disabled. Oldest brother is able to do most things except he has lost vision in both his eyes, but has some vision. He watches out for the younger disabled brother. He does a good job of taking care of the house and the yard, but they don't live together.

I have never canned and I only tried a garden for 2 years. I was a failure. BUT when you grow up farming, my mom canned endlessly. My "husband" loved her canned stuff. I only like frozen corn.

Date: October 21, 2022 09:16AM

I like frozen peas. Growing up I thought peas were one of the worst food because I had only eaten them out of cans.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.