Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: October 13, 2022 01:26AM

So Rusty inc announced the location of the Singapore temple on a one acre lot.

So how big a temple along with fence and grounds would they fit on a 208 foot by 208 foot lot?

Would they replace the 12 brass oxen for the baptismal font with 12 golden calves?

I heard rumors of the slide show errr endowment room doubling as a sealing room.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 13, 2022 01:48AM

All you need is a closet to dress up in funny clothes and do weird things in.

Posted by: skp ( )
Date: October 13, 2022 02:08PM

Well said.

Hell, you don't really even need a closet, right? Adam and Eve didn't have one!

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 13, 2022 05:55PM

But they did have clothes. They went from no death before the fall to killing their garden animal friends for their coats. Why doesn't the temple film show Adam going Rambo?

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: October 13, 2022 02:00AM

Small lot sizes not unusual.
See

https://churchofjesuschristtemples.org/statistics/dimensions/

Notice
Apia, Bismarck, Brisbane, Caracas, Ciudad Juarez, Columbus, Copenhagen, Edmonton, Fukuoka, Guatemala City, Halifax, Johannesburg, Manhattan, Medford, Merida, Montevideo, Monticello, Nuku'alofa, Okinawa, Oklahoma City, Papeete, Philadelphia, Porto Alegre, Regina, San Jose (Costa Rica), Saom Paulo, Seoul, Spokane, Taipei, Vernal, and Winter Quarters are all on lots of less than or equal to 2 acres.

The actual size of the temples on those sites ranges from 6800 (Colonia Juarez) to 61,466 (Philadelphia) sq.ft.

The number of sealing and instruction rooms varies without a definite relation to overall size (compare Taipei with Star Valley or Guayaquil and Guatamala City).

Posted by: Dallin Ox ( )
Date: October 13, 2022 02:03AM

The church describes it as "a two-story temple of approximately 18,000 square feet. A meetinghouse with an arrival center will also be constructed on site."

There are no renderings of it yet, but if you plug the address (233 Pasir Panjang Road, Singapore) into Google Maps street view, you can see the property; there's a (perhaps comparable) building currently occupying the site, which will certainly be demolished, but may give a general idea of the project's scale.

It's located within a high-density residential area, and there's an Esso gas station directly across the street. Parking seems to be, um, limited.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 13, 2022 05:22AM

So you can gas up and go to the temple in the same trip! How convenient.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: October 13, 2022 01:40PM

in Singapore has got to be outrageously expensive.

Posted by: reinventinggrace ( )
Date: October 13, 2022 04:53PM

The Hong Kong temple is on a tiny lot. Likely about 100' x 100. Or 1/4 the size of the Singapore lot...

Edit — 100’ across the front, 100’ deep on the right side, 200’ deep on the left side. About 1/3 the size of the Singapore lot.

Looks like this.

They did a good job on it. Tidy, compact, a very nice style to match other HK buildings. It was probably Hinckley’s special project. (He always had a soft spot in is heart for HK, per his presentation to us at his family reunion while I was a missionary there in 1987 or 88.)

https://maps.app.goo.gl/aQ3FhferXSjg5wjC6?g_st=ic

https://maps.app.goo.gl/MU2cjCC8AVqexSQi7?g_st=ic

Originally the building also had the mission offices and a chapel. Later The Church bought a much larger piece of land across the street and built a more sprawling building for the meetinghouse and mission offices. I’m sure it cost them *a lot*. And the ugly low level building is nothing special.

Fwiw, RG

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2022 12:58AM by reinventinggrace.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: October 13, 2022 07:10PM

12 wooden dachshunds

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2022 07:11PM by fossilman.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 13, 2022 11:37PM

Might/probably be like the Hong Kong temple, multi-storied.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: October 14, 2022 09:18AM

If you think those temples are micro, wait until you see the one Rusty has planned for the Island of Lilliput.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 14, 2022 12:03PM

I think Micronesia needs a temple.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: October 20, 2022 09:45PM

The one they're building in Casper, WY is closer to a mobile home. I'm not kidding. Ok, MODULAR.

They poured a traditional looking foundation, then plopped on all the modular units. They will then put a steel frame OVER the modules in preparation for the roof and exterior siding.

I always knew they'd put one in a mobile home.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 20, 2022 09:52PM

Classy. What girl wouldn't strive to get married in a church trailer!

That's just a step away from Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show. Maybe they could save money by putting it on wheels and driving town to town.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: October 20, 2022 10:06PM

The Winnebago McTemple - just over halfway down this page

http://www.salamandersociety.com/temple/

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 20, 2022 10:26PM

Levi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The one they're building in Casper, WY is closer
> to a mobile home. I'm not kidding. Ok, MODULAR.
>
>
> They poured a traditional looking foundation, then
> plopped on all the modular units. They will then
> put a steel frame OVER the modules in preparation
> for the roof and exterior siding.
>
> I always knew they'd put one in a mobile home.

Did they leave the wheels on for a Quick Skiddo to Missouri?

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: October 20, 2022 11:35PM

in b 4 ~

exmos could get up to a lot of trouble ~

on a 208 foot by 208 foot lot ~

Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: October 21, 2022 08:29AM

This past summer I was talking to a contractor that was working on a big project on one of the Canadian temples. He said he has weekly meetings with the SLC temple people via zoom. We talked about the Helena Montana temple and how it was being built with modular construction. He said this was going to be the way the temple dept. is going to start to construct the temples in future. He said he had other information but could not share that with me. It has to do with other countries temples, the cultures, etc. I felt that what he was saying is we are going to see maybe even another shift in how the temple stuff is presented.

Here are my thoughts.
1. How long do wooden buildings last? Will they last a thousand years? Are we not suppose to be doing a lot of temple work in those thousand years when Christ returns?
2. As the Church continues to modify the temple stuff and dumb it down that creates an interesting problem. I see the symbolism disappearing all the time in the temple ceremony and temple construction. That was part of the learning process in the olden days.
3. My parents made different covenants than I did when they went though the temple. In the last year I went through the temple and did some sealings and that was different than when I went through in 1967. We have all sorts of people in the spirit world that we taught differently and made covenants slightly differently too. What ever happened to concept that God was a God of order and perfection?
4. The older temples had lots of interesting architecture features. It made the experience interesting as you went through the temple. Now days all the temple have the same format. Boring. It's like a production line.
4. Some of the newer temples build and dedicated have the endowment room used as a sealing room too. This saves space. Can I say boring again.
4. As the Church builds more temples they become meaningless to the world. They do not stand out. Just like McDonalds does not stand out anymore. At least when they had an angel on top of them it made them seem unique. The mosques in Canada look better than the temples that Hinkley built.

Date: October 21, 2022 09:13AM

Downsizing glory. Living on dividends. The church is officially retired.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 21, 2022 09:44AM

With the huge number of temples that have been announced, modular might be the only way that they can get them up. It could be that the church is rethinking what temples look like.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 21, 2022 10:04AM

It's the tithing that saves you.

They want more tithing for less effort; maybe that was their guiding light for correlation?

Date: October 21, 2022 10:44AM

Nope. They want to corner the dead air bnb market.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 24, 2022 05:50PM

The church would be light years ahead if they built their temples like port-a-potties. Big blue ones.

Do you realize how universally porta-potties are loved. People can't wait to get inside. In fact, I have seen countless people running towards them.

And here's the best part for the church.

No matter how bad and crappy and stinky, people still go inside. Perfect for a religion that reeks of crap.

Date: October 25, 2022 11:35AM

No one is running to them. Joseph Smith and his successors are adept at getting people to do what they would rather not because of God.

All the resources of generations of Mormons accumulated for a reason to do genealogy that has nothing to do with DNA.

I can't think of much that would have me running towards a Mormon building for any pleasure, pressure, or relief.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2022 11:35AM by Elder Berry.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.