Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cauda ( )
Date: October 26, 2022 12:37PM

Would you agree on this description:

When ambivalent missionaries knock on doors or try to build network with non-Mormons to recruit new members. Communication between people can become very unclear as if the doubting missionary can't keep up the facade and tries instead to manipulate people into joining the church instead of convincing people by talking about the faith?

What I mean is that when a Mormon manipulates instead of talking about the church and the faith, it is a sign that the Mormon is very divided about the own faith in the religion?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: October 26, 2022 03:52PM

When a church's "truthfulness" is based on "evidence not seen" it's not always easy for missionaries to carry on a discussion with investigators who are interested in facts and evidence.

When there's no evidence to support the "truthfulness" of the Mormon church's teachings, the discussion will hit a brick wall where the missionary is cornered into telling the investigator to pray about it and the spirit will testify that's it's true. That's all they've got. Missionaries believe they are messengers of God and have the truth. I wouldn't call them ambivalent or manipulative (at least not all missionaries), just doing what they've been taught when faced with questions they can't answer. The missionaries are the manipulated ones.

I remember my nevermo father asking me what happened to the gold plates. I told him the angel Mormoi took them away. My dad laughed. I had nothing more to say. What more could I say? Tell my dad to pray about it? I wasn't ambivalent, I just had nothing. Who in this situation was the more manipulated?

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 26, 2022 04:06PM

^ This. You wanna talk about gold plates? Better think twice.

The Mormon "Milk before Meat" thing isn't working and they are now borrowing from Jack Webb. "Just the Milk, ma'am."

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 26, 2022 04:55PM

Talking about the church and the faith IS manipulation. What is the JS story but manipulation?

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: October 26, 2022 05:49PM

Manipulation is "the act of manipulating someone in a clever or unscrupulous way."

If a missionary thinks he/she is telling the truth (even though it's false), and presents it in an honest way, is it manipulation?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.