Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jay ( )
Date: October 29, 2022 02:45PM

I noticed in Tom Brady‘s divorce announcement he said that my wife and I recently finalized our divorce. Thought it was funny that he referred to her as his wife when they were divorced.

It got me wondering about Mormon theology. When you’re divorced is he or she still your wife?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2022 02:46PM by jay.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 29, 2022 02:59PM

Yes. That's why you can't get a second temple marriage without permission from the church.

We are told God will sort out the details after death.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 30, 2022 05:04AM

Marriages in heaven are polygamous so that's not as hard as it sounds.

We don't know if CK marriage is a live-in arrangement. What if the wife prefers to live with Bigfoot or a woodland fairy? Can she conceive spirit babies without physical contact? In a kind of work-from-home arrangement.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 29, 2022 03:27PM

Agreeing with LW. It's not even speculation. According to Mormon theology, the answer is yes. Full stop.

The only way they will view the sealing is cancelled is if they themselves issue a cancellation of sealing.

This is not terribly difficult for an active woman who is divorced, and wishes to marry another active LDS man in the temple. If the first husband is dead and died as an active LDS person, the FP may refuse the cancellation, and the couple can get married in the temple for time only. I think that is how it works now.

Men can get a cancellation under the same circumstances. They have the additional option that if the first wife is dead, with permission from the FP, they can be sealed to both the prior and the new wife.

If you just want a cancellation because you do not want to be sealed to your scumbag ex, the FP will not issue a cancellation. You're stuck with scumbag, unless you can avoid going to the CK. Now there's an incentive to drink lots of coffee.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 29, 2022 03:40PM

I forgot one part. If the ex-spouse is still alive, and you ask for a cancellation to remarry in the temple, the church asks the ex if they object.

This is not the church asking permission. Even if the ex objects, they may issue the cancellation and allow the new temple marriage.

Apparently the purpose of asking is to find out if the ex seeking to remarry is current on child support payments, if that applies. It gives the church leverage to make sure back child support is paid, before they let the person remarry in the temple.

I see that as self-serving for the church. If their dear hot-to-remarry member is not paying child support, their ex may well be on church welfare. Can't have that.

In short, if you get a letter from LDS Inc asking if it is OK if they cancel your sealing because your spouse wants to remarry in the temple, unless you can prove the ex owes you money, any other objection will be ignored.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: October 29, 2022 05:07PM

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/first-presidency-discontinues-time-only-marriages-in-the-temple

"The First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has announced that time-only marriages in the temple will no longer be performed."

"Time-only marriages in the temple have been reserved for those who have previously been sealed to a spouse who is deceased, according to the Church’s General Handbook (see 27.3.3). They had to meet the same requirements for a temple sealing — including a valid temple recommend for living ordinances and a marriage license. A marriage in the temple for time only was not authorized for members who were in the process of seeking a cancellation of sealing or a sealing clearance, according to the handbook."

“Because of the eternal nature of the temple and the work that takes place there, it has been decided that time-only marriages in the temple will no longer be performed. In the case where a couple desires to be married civilly and where a sealing is not contemplated or possible, the couple is encouraged to invite their bishop or stake president — where it is legal — to officiate at the marriage ceremony.”

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: October 30, 2022 09:24AM

Married for time and eternity
time-only marriages
temple divorce
multiple spouses in heaven

This whole thing is absolutely ridiculous.

Posted by: blackcoatsdaughter ( )
Date: October 30, 2022 11:03AM

From the way I used to think of temples and temple marriages, I'm surprised that my own divorce or hearing about divorced temple marriages didn't break my shelf right then. Like, if it were all true, then it shouldn't even be possible to marry someone you might eventually divorce, in the temple.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 30, 2022 11:29AM

If I understand it correctly, I am still married for all time and eternity . . . until such time as a judgment is rendered regarding my suitability for such an honor.

I suppose that this means my now-deceased ex-wife in mortality, but eternal wife in heaven, is sitting in Paradise, surrounded by her sisters in that same situation.  They're all wondering whether the assholes who divorced them are going to somehow miraculously rise to a level where they will be 'allowed' back into the presence of their loving ghawd and resume the yoke of matrimony...or not!

I wonder what they talk about?  Are they hopeful, or do they discuss to whom they would like to be sealed once the day comes they are emancipated?  Of the 100 billion or so souls born on earth, half of whom were male, only a tiny percentage are already sealed up in even a first celestial marriage.  So my ex and all her likewise situated friends will be favorably situated: beggars can be choosers!

An analysis of the myth that is mormon Eternal Life ought to show that it's a myth of male origin, and that it is in fact, a wet dream.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 30, 2022 02:26PM

Not only that, but all the church's money won't cover your back spirit child support.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 30, 2022 11:39AM

You're divorced in Heaven if you are granted a sealing cancellation, but that isn't always easy to get.

I know a few people who obtained one.

Posted by: mikey ( )
Date: October 30, 2022 01:29PM

What happens to the temple marriage if I and my ex had married in the temple,but I subsequently left the church (resigned).

If the ex stays in and wants to remarry. Does she need to get permission from me to remarry in the temple?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 30, 2022 02:26PM

are gay mormons gay in heaven ?

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: October 30, 2022 02:36PM

but we have both resigned from the lds church. So is our temple sealing cancelled?

It is all so ridiculous. I'd rather be alone than share a man with other women. I wouldn't care about being still sealed to my gay husband and just be his friend. I'd share him with men long before I would with women.

It is so nice not to have to go to church on Sunday.

Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: October 30, 2022 05:06PM

Your temple sealing is merely provisional until the holy of spirit of promise gives it the sacred stamp of approval.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.