Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wolfsbane ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 10:46PM

Hey all.

I have a question. My wife's cousin left TSCC last year and came out as lesbian. She is looking for an online support group specially designed for gay/lesbian ex-mormons. Does anyone know of any such closed groups on Facebook or other message boards etc that I could pass along to her?

Thanks!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lapsed ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 08:50AM

Posted by: lapsed ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 08:51AM

Google: Affirmation. It's a support group for LGBT Mormons.

Posted by: jdawg333 ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 10:04AM

Affirmation is good.

Mohodirectory.com is directory of gay bloggers who are/were Mormon.

Farbetweenmovie.com has video interviews with people in all possible gay-related life paths: ally, active mormon, happily married to opposite-sex-spouse, celibate, ex-mormon, in a same-sex marriage,.... Very interesting, but may be more useful for somebody who is just thinking about leaving the church.

Posted by: dragonmystic ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 10:37AM

There are a few of us who are gay/lesbian on this board, if that helps?

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 10:42AM

Affirmation is for both mormons AND ex-mormons who are LGBTQ.

PFLAG is for parents and friends of lesbians & gays, non-denominational.

Both are on-line, and also meet in person, depending on the location.

Posted by: Inverso ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 12:07PM

Affirmation is a hit-or-miss proposition depending on who is active in the group. The local guys I met were really cool, but in general it is an organization that is far too reconciliatory for my taste and at the national level it comes with all the Mormon trappings -- prayers, devotionals, testimonies, choirs... I can't deal with that.

Posted by: mallcat ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 03:41PM

Same here. I'm gay and I'm through with Mormonism. I mean completely through. I wish it would disappear from the planet so Utah could mentally join the rest of the USA and I could be left alone by the gossip squad that it produces. I hate how people that I have nothing to do with anymore are still yacking about my business. It's been 10 years! I only come here to talk, because I am trying to help others out of the cult and keep others from joining. I also have to deal with the cult talk from my parents, so I come here looking for ways to counter their threats and manipulation. I absolutely detest the Mormon church, and quite frankly I'm sick of non-mos (especially liberals, oddly enough) being blindsided by the PR they're putting out and telling me that they're the "nicest people". They're about as nice as the rednecks who lined up at Chick-Fil-A to show their enthusiastic support against gay rights. Otherwise, I prefer the company of non-mos. Ex-mos just remind me of the painful 23 years I spent in TSCC, and the only talk I want to have about that church is how stupid it is and how full of it they are.

Posted by: mauister ( )
Date: March 25, 2014 01:41AM

Mormon's want to steal away what they call the Holy Ghost with their holy Bull Sh*t. They would guilt people raised Mormon into believing they aren't good because the didn't stick. F them. Thanks! Oh, and thank you Holy Ghost for coming back into my life, you were always there, buddy.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 12:14PM

How about this board, however diverse we all are, we share one commonality. LDS inc is in our rearview mirror. I'm not gay but I would love to support your wife's cousin on this board.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: March 25, 2014 02:19AM

I love the term rear view mirror. Remember in this case Mormonism may appear farther than it is. Having been raised Mormon, it feels in there somehow.

Posted by: Kiwi blue eyes ( )
Date: November 04, 2022 04:20AM

Wanting to meet people who are ex mormons like myself maybe meet my Mr Right

Posted by: Mimi All ( )
Date: July 26, 2015 11:12PM

i left the Mormon church and so did my kids but they are teens and struggling because they do not relate to Mormons as friends but have a difficult time relating to teens without that past. We are also teen LGBT. If you know of teens who are ex Mormon and willing to connect with my ex Mo teens, begging for reply.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: July 27, 2015 12:16AM

My friend Tom started this site a few years ago when we

we all on RFM together..http://www.gaymormonstories.com/

Posted by: Satan's Little Helper ( )
Date: July 27, 2015 12:52AM

First....I totally agree. With a previous poster about Affirmation. It is not about being GLBT. It is the mormon church for people who have been tossed out of the mormon church.

Second....how bout trying something that doesn't have anything to do with being mormon or ex-mormon? How bout hanging with other lesbians who socialize,organize,or go bowling? Mormonism is a silly little affectation and the less she has to do with it the better. Besides telling non-mormons that you used to be a mormon is like telling me you were a Jehovah's witness or a scientologist. It's interesting for a few minutes but makes people doubt your intelligence

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: November 04, 2022 12:57PM

RESOURCES

Coming Home to Mormonism and to Self [Guide]
Affirmation: LGBTQ Mormons, Families and Friends works to attain equal rights for LGBTQ people within the Mormon church and to support those struggling with their sexual orientation.

Mormons Building Bridges is a community of Latter-day Saints dedicated to conveying love and acceptance to all those who identify as LGBTQI and those who experience same-sex attraction or gender dysphoria.

The Family Fellowship is a service and support group for Mormons with gay and lesbian family members. It holds that “gay and lesbian Mormons can be great blessings in the lives of their families, and that families can be great blessings in the lives of their gay and lesbian members.”

Now most of these are for active or trying to stay LDS. There's also lattergay stories on youtube; but mostly once you've resolved that LDS inc is just a corporation and has lost any reflection or closeness to Jesus or Religion... Most can find other groups, help etc... through local sources. There's usually a Pride or GLAAD group or center which can help send you to more local groups, sites, etc... Remember, just because of your sexual orientation doesn't mean you fit in with every other group. Transgender/Trans people shouldn't be sent to AA groups or people of color have social/familial issues that may not be found or understood by white exmormons. Teens have "hang outs" or bars or groups that older people wouldn't feel welcomed to. Also Community Churches (for those who want to stay religious or still want Jesus in their lives) wouldn't work for many.

I wish I could tell you there's a one size fits all but just because many share one aspect of life (sexual orientation, gender identification or even those who are non-sexual) so finding a one on one therapist or group is probably the best if dealing with emotional or mental illness.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.