Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Master Chief ( )
Date: October 12, 2022 10:54AM

I was shocked to see pride flags everywhere, vegan cafes, a thriving bar scene, an indie film theater..I guess I've been in the suburbs too long.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 12, 2022 12:28PM

For a good time go to the Salt lake gay pride parade.
I went years ago and it was a really big thing.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 12, 2022 12:33PM

I was taught that slc would be worse than New York, Vegas, and LA in the last days.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 11, 2022 06:46PM

That makes sense ... after all, to deceive the very Elect, you have to have the very Elect present!!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 11, 2022 06:53PM

I can assure you, EB, that Salt Lake City is indeed worse than New York, Los Vegas, Los Angeles and, for that matter, Chicago, London, Paris, Rome, Berlin, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, Istanbul, and Saskatoon.

I'll bet I've missed a city or two, but you get the picture.

Posted by: Dallin Ox ( )
Date: November 12, 2022 04:51PM

Well, old Heber Kimball did say that SLC would "be among the wicked cities of the world."

(as reported by his son Golden in October 1930)

p. 59:

https://archive.org/details/conferencereport1930sa/page/n59/mode/2up

[in which Heber says a lot of dumb stuff, plus one broken-clock prediction about "a spirit of speculation and extravagance"]

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 12, 2022 04:59PM

Yes, I'm aware of the prophesy.

I'm just trying to suggest that SLC is already worse than a vast number of cities in which many of us would prefer to live--just not in the way Kimball predicted.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 12, 2022 01:25PM

Metropolitan Salt Lake City is a Democrat City and has been for quite awhile. The church pretty much has to spend a lot of money to buy and develop property around it’s headquarters to control their area of the city. Some call it the Mormon Vatican. But Salt Lake has been two cities in one ever since the mining barons came in. They wanted to break the Mormon control of Salt Lake and built grand buildings and brought new culture in.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: October 12, 2022 02:00PM

More like MORmON Disneyland in the middle of Anaheim, CA.

Posted by: lapsed2 ( )
Date: November 11, 2022 06:03PM

I like “Mormon Vatican”…I call it “The Garment District.”

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 12, 2022 02:33PM

"Meanwhile on Russian state TV: Apti Alaudinov, the commander of Ramzan Kadyrov's Chechen detachment "Akhmat," tells the new volunteers that they are in Ukraine to fight against gay parades"

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: October 13, 2022 09:00PM

In just about every US city that has seen a reborn, revitalized city center, the way has been lead by gay and gay-friendly people colonizing spaces that have been left vacant by mainstream people who've moved out to the suburbs. And the types of business the colonizers start are usually night spots of one sort or another. Bars, restaurants, galleries, clubs, coffee bars... places that require patrons with spare time and spare money, and who are often looking to hook up. No proper Mormon has spare time or money, although they do their share of hooking up.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 11, 2022 06:24PM

SLC has been a gay hub for quite a while. Ironic, right?

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: November 12, 2022 03:56PM

Something has to keep Dallin Oaks agitated so he doesn't doze off during meetings.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 12, 2022 06:38PM

NYTimes did a big magazine piece on 10 US downtowns a couple weeks ago, about how they are recovering from the pandemic. Most of them were still struggling to one degree or another, often from a lack of office workers.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/10/26/us/us-cities-downtown-chicago-seattle.html

SLC was one of the 10 profiled cities, and it is kicking ass and taking names. I'm not sure why, but pedestrian traffic is way up over the pre-pandemic levels. Restaurants are busy. During the summer, 4 blocks of Main Street are closed to traffic Thursday afternoon thru Sunday morning. There is talk of making that section of the street permanently pedestrian-only. There is preliminary talks about doing something similar on W Temple between 1300 S and 1700 S.

I did a walking tour of South Salt Lake a few weeks ago. You know those big murals on the sides of buildings? South SL has 50 of them, some quite spectacular, and almost none of them visible from State Street or the interstate, so relatively few people know they are there. They are planning 50 more. There are craft breweries all over the place. I was stunned. South SLC is working very hard to polish up its image.

More craft breweries and upscale restaurants opening in the Granary District, about 700 S 600 W. Apartment buildings going up everywhere you look around downtown. Rents downtown are mostly above $2K, sometimes well above. Brigham Apartments on S Temple just east of the City Center Mall are advertising rents from $2400 to $7,000, and they aren't all that new, or large. Go to apartments.com so see what other rents are around 84101.

I've got a feeling LDS Inc is going to turn a profit on City Center Mall. There are going to be a boatload of people within walking distance.

Looks like all those Gen Z-ers and Millennials who have had it with Mormonism, and early marriage and all that are moving downtown after they graduate college.

Works for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2022 06:38PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.