Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: November 11, 2022 10:33PM

I hope each of you, especially our brave veterans, had an enjoyable day.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 12, 2022 01:48AM

Also worth noting: the US Marines were founded in Tun Tavern November 10, 1775--the first of the officially established armed forces of the nascent Republic, thus anticipating one of our slogans, "First To Fight." Today, the Marines are being reconfigured back to the original mission we demonstrated in World War II: amphibious attack. Did you know the Marines are currently the only military branch meeting their recruiting goals?

https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/ec4d079b2bc5b651d2b26828538473123baeb6a5462986b58cf9858bedb50e96.jpg?w=600&h=343

Posted by: BoydKKK ( )
Date: November 12, 2022 01:41PM

How many GA's are Veterans?

Listened yesterday on and off to some Talk Show Veteran tributes - and the five different talk show hosts - not ONE was a veteran. All self professed "Uber-Patriots" but none had served.

Just like all the scrotes playing military computer games - but then never sign up for military service. No balls to back up the bluster.

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: November 12, 2022 03:51PM

Henry B Eyring
Thomas S Monson
Dieter F Uctdorf
Spencer W Kimball

Those are the ones I know about off hand. Dieter F Uctdorf post ww2 German AF was was able to transfer to US AF.

Date: November 13, 2022 12:25AM

Rusty is a veteran, Korean War.

Date: November 13, 2022 09:05AM

You have to remember during Vietnam it was considered "good going" if you could figure out how to avoid getting drafted. Funny now how the attitudes have changed holding people accountable for their avoidance of military duty.
During that time I served in the Army and then a mission and am proud of both.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: November 13, 2022 06:36PM

Send them back to God with 5.56mm and then with a BoM. Sounds like a win-win.

Posted by: BoydKKK ( )
Date: November 13, 2022 08:50PM

PHIL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You have to remember during Vietnam it was
> considered "good going" if you could figure out
> how to avoid getting drafted. Funny now how the
> attitudes have changed holding people accountable
> for their avoidance of military duty.
> During that time I served in the Army and then a
> mission and am proud of both.

Some - considered it a good thing. Mainly those too chicken to serve. Cowards is the name for them.

Another veteran here - as well as RM. Had no idea what my draft number was. Never checked it. Enlistment and service was always the plan.

Did run into a number of Reserve and Guard guys both. Some good people took that route. They did so knowing they could get called up at any time.

Mormons overall don't enlist. They talk the talk and run from the responsibility.

Date: November 13, 2022 09:21PM

A lot of Mormons enlisted during that time. We had several veterans in my mission. Our zone leader was an officer in Vietnam. In fact in Germany they had an entire stake of just servicemen. In my current ward the majority of active priesthood holders are former servicemen.
I can't speak for Utah Mormons but this is what I have seen.

Date: November 13, 2022 11:07PM

Besides myself, my Father, four Uncles, both grandfathers and a grandmother plus many cousins and great uncles all are veterans.

Utah has robust guard and reserve units numbering thousands of members.

We had ROTC units in our high schools and colleges.

Everywhere I ever served had full wards of military members.

I think you'd be surprised at the number of LDS veterans.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: November 14, 2022 08:53AM

@BOYDKKK
"All self professed "Uber-Patriots" but none had served."
Yes, I've noticed the same thing and I would add they make sure their kids don't go in either.

"Some - considered it a good thing. Mainly those too chicken to serve. Cowards is the name for them."

My lottery number was 276 so I didn't get drafted which I consider a good thing. I had many friends who enlisted in the Navy (longer enlistment) rather than take a chance on being drafted and possibly going to Vietnam. They considered that a good thing.

I had a lot of friends that joined the Reserves to avoid Vietnam. They think it was a good thing.

I knew a few people that got medical deferments to get out of the draft. They thought it was good thing.

Not a coward in the bunch.

You were in the Military and an RM, well I tip my hat to you.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.