Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 17, 2022 06:57AM

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/nov/17/mike-rinder-the-high-ranking-official-who-escaped-scientology

'At 52, I abandoned everything, every friend, every family member’: the top official who escaped Scientology

After 45 years in the church, Mike Rinder became disillusioned and walked out. He talks about daily life in the organisation, being disciplined in ‘the Hole’, and his hopes of reconnecting with his children

Mike Rinder was so entrenched in the “aristocracy of Scientology” that Tom Cruise gave him birthday presents – a fancy watch and a set of Bose headphones. He earned promotion after promotion within the Sea Organization, a sort of executive order, was flown around the world and entrusted with taking Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Presley on a private tour of the Los Angeles museum devoted to Scientology’s founder, L Ron Hubbard. But after more than 45 years in the notoriously secretive church – which he now regards as “a mind prison” – he broke out.

Fifteen years on, he has written a book about his time inside. Some of the details are eye-watering, but what Rinder, 67, really hopes is that A Billion Years: My Escape from a Life in the Highest Ranks of Scientology will act as a rescue operation for his two adult children who remain in the church.

Before Scientology took up all his time and energy, Rinder enjoyed reading Wilbur Smith novels, and his own book starts like an adventure story. In 2007, he walked out of the church’s office in central London and ducked into a doorway. He was 52. He carried £200 in cash, a credit card and his passport. As a church executive he had pursued people who tried to leave, so he knew what to expect. “I needed to get out of sight, remove the batteries from my phones, use only cash and stay on the move,” he says.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2022 06:59AM by anybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: auntsukey ( )
Date: November 17, 2022 08:23AM

With the sexual assault cases against Scieintologist Danny Masterson and Ex-Scientologist Paul Haggis in today's news spotlight as well as the Netflix series with former Scientologists Leah Remini and Mike Rinder, the famous cult is airing flashy Scienitologist commercials. Will that have any effect on the cases and or membership?

What an insideous organization!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2022 08:25AM by auntsukey.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 17, 2022 01:32PM

They are playing those commercials heavily here and they are slick. Makes me afraid for the youth. "Get 'em while they're young!" is the name of the game.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: November 17, 2022 01:15PM

anybody Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He talks about ... his hopes of reconnecting with
> his children

> what Rinder, 67, really hopes is that A
> Billion Years: My Escape from a Life in the
> Highest Ranks of Scientology will act as a rescue
> operation for his two adult children who remain in
> the church.

Most unfortunately, his children may never emerge or get a chance to see/read his book.

There's a reason why organizations like this emphasize their isolationist ideals, and enforce them.

The WatchTower Society (JWs) gave me a glimpse of how this works. They are Scientology Lite, although they would never identify that way. They preach incessantly to their followers that members should not be "part of the world". Those born in, as well as converts, are pressured to avoid socializing with non-JWs, even family. As a JW friend said to me after I joined, "we're your family now". And, as I've related here previously, even in the face of a family emergency when my urgent assistance was needed, the JWs tried to get me to refuse to help. I couldn't be more thankful that I resisted that pressure and flew home immediately to my family who needed me. That did lead to me leaving the group, as they fear when a member interacts with non-JWs, which is why isolation is a major principle of theirs. I can't imagine the tremendous loss I would have suffered if I had missed out on time spent with my parents and siblings, and the good relationships we've enjoyed.

I get why groups like this wish to isolate members. Obviously, if you are not closeted inside their fold then some outside influence or experience may cause you to reconsider your membership.

It's creepy as hell that they cut their members off from outside contact, whether by emphasizing it in their doctrine or through overwhelming peer pressure and even punishment of some sort. It's obviously a deliberate strategy to hold on to membership. The Scientologists, though, take it to the highest level, taking active measures to prevent members from leaving, as we've heard from various people who have managed to get out.

No doubt this longtime Scientologist's book will be an interesting read. I'll put it on my list.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 17, 2022 01:21PM

Well, this probably has Einstein doubting the existence of God!

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: November 17, 2022 02:06PM

Einstein may *be* a god by now. After all, TSCC is doing the work for him. ;)

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 17, 2022 03:59PM

There may be a Particle of truth in what you say.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: November 17, 2022 10:02PM

Relatively speaking. ;)

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: November 17, 2022 03:49PM

Scientologists play dice with god, but they use their own dice.

Gods dice are shaved.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 17, 2022 01:33PM

Scientology: Mormons like ( or Don’t like) comparisons

At their cores, Scientology is like Fundy Mormonism on steroids

In the world view, Scientology has Mormonism looking somewhat less out-of-sync with normal, everyday folks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2022 01:33PM by GNPE.

Posted by: Fascinated in the Midwest ( )
Date: November 17, 2022 01:39PM

I watched as much of the Leah Rehmini/Mike Rinder NetFlix investigative series about Scientology (I won't even call it a church) as I could before it vanished from NetFlix.

Fascinating control they have over their robotic membership. Something I hope TCOJCOLDS nor any other organization ever aspires to replicate.

I'm waiting for the outcome of the Danny Masterson trial. I know what I think it should be.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: November 17, 2022 02:41PM

Yes, scientology is a psych-themed fascist organization (and cult) with science fiction add-ons... It's all about control and milking the sheep - as usual, one might say ;-)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.