Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 24, 2022 11:41AM

Wait...isn't this like the Spanish Inquisition telling you to "convert or die" or saying they had to kill you to save your soul?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/former-trump-lawyer-says-lgbt-145629016.html

"The people killed in the nightclub that night, there is no evidence/that they were Christians. Assuming they have not accepted the truth/affirmed Christ as the lord of their life they are now reaping the consequences of eternal damnation.”

In the aftermath of the shooting, conservatives have doubled down on their anti-LGBTQ rhetoric, including former legal adviser to Donald Trump, Jenna Ellis. In a description for her Tuesday episode of The Jenna Ellis Show, Ellis attempts to addresses what she calls “the left’s narrative” that focuses on how “Christians hate homosexual and transgender individuals and somehow that ‘hate’ led to the shooting.” The description then goes on to make an irrational parallel between abortion and the Colorado shooting, asking: “Why aren’t leftists as angry at the murder of unborn children as they are the murder of LGBTQ people?”

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2022 11:51AM by anybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: November 24, 2022 12:39PM

And she’s one to judge?
Where was her moral outrage while Rudy was farting lies?

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: November 24, 2022 01:19PM

Completely outrageous timing. Malignant insensitivity. Appalling reaction. And who cares about her opinion anyway.

And:

Matthew 7: 1-3:

Judge not, that ye be not judged.

For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 24, 2022 01:28PM

Well, there are 'Judges' in Israel, so that means judging is a thing, and once something is a 'thing,' people are going to do it.

And judges are seen as people with power, so if you can set yourself up as a Judge, you can almost automatically assume "extra" power(s).

For me, the attraction of being a Judge would be calling for side bar conferences and in-chambers conferences.

And how come we NEVER see a Judge demanding a one-on-one in-chambers conference with the accused?

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: November 24, 2022 03:24PM

Saw this somewhere:

"Put Christ back in Christian"

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: November 24, 2022 08:14PM

“Christians hate homosexual and transgender individuals and somehow that ‘hate’ led to the shooting.”

The shooter self-identified as transgender. Could it be a defense tactic? Maybe, but we're not allowed to question it. The dude is trans, end of story.

Normative truth is the new thing, which means the church is actually true. Too bad, I was starting to enjoy being exmo.

Date: November 24, 2022 08:40PM

bradley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The shooter self-identified as transgender. Could
> it be a defense tactic? Maybe, but we're not
> allowed to question it. The dude is trans, end of
> story.

I don't think it's a case of "not allowed to question it", rather treading lightly until more facts are known.

Has the defense tactic theory been explored and decided? I think people are being careful not to rush in and question or discount the shooter's statements about gender out of respect for the community in general, if not specifically him/them.

Even if it is a defense tactic as some suggest it's still possible to be discourteous in the way his/their statements are questioned or the fact that they are.

That's what I'm getting so far but obviously I'm no expert. I just try to wait for enough info before arriving at conclusions. I'm not always successful because it's so easy to make assumptions and judgements, in many situations, especially ones as sensitive and tragic as this.

I could see a way that if he/they is/are non-binary that could perhaps explain this reaction, depending on beliefs, influences, pressures or whatever else impacted on the decision to carry out such a crime. Not that it's an excuse.

Excerpt from an interesting article about it:

"Kristen Prata Browde, a co-chair of the National Trans Bar Association, said that a suspect’s gender identity should have no bearing on whether they can be prosecuted for a hate crime in the Club Q shooting.

“The motive for a crime isn’t dependent on whether you are or are not a member of a protected class,” Ms. Prata Browde said. “It legally has no significance, as far as whether the actions of this individual fit within the law regarding hate crimes.”

"She and other legal experts said it would be best for the court and prosecutors to respect the suspect’s preferred pronouns and gender identity, and treat them “like any other defendant.”

----

"Stan Garnett, the former district attorney in Boulder County, Colo., said he did not know of any legal rules that required Colorado prosecutors or a judge to honor a defendant’s pronouns or use “Mx.” but said “it would be very bad form to ignore a suspect’s self-identification.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/23/us/colorado-shooting-suspect-aldrich.html

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 25, 2022 08:57PM

bradley Wrote:
> “Christians hate homosexual and transgender
> individuals and somehow that ‘hate’ led to the
> shooting.”
>
> The shooter self-identified as transgender. Could
> it be a defense tactic? Maybe, but we're not
> allowed to question it. The dude is trans, end of
> story.
>
> Normative truth is the new thing, which means the
> church is actually true. Too bad, I was starting
> to enjoy being exmo.

Reports are that the shooter identifies as non-binary, not trans.

Their non-binary status has nothing to do with the facts of the case. They went into a club wearing body armour on the Trans Day Of Remembrance with the intent to kill -- and they did kill.

https://www.axios.com/2022/11/23/colorado-club-shooting-suspect-non-binary-attorneys-say

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: November 24, 2022 08:48PM

But after a year their names will cycled through the temple and all will be forgiven.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 25, 2022 04:57PM

May she be shown the exact amount of mercy that she, herself, metes out.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 25, 2022 05:09PM

Maybe she is just trying to land a job with Alex Jones.

Date: November 25, 2022 06:44PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
> Maybe she is just trying to land a job with Alex
> Jones.

Blech.

My most refined and insightful comment of the week.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2022 06:44PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: November 28, 2022 05:05AM

She’s stating her opinion which is those who don’t accept Jesus as their savior are damned. It’s your typical evangelical Christian view that has existed a very long time.

When have evangelicals ever had an inquisition? I’m not seeing any convert or die rhetoric here. In fact it was the Vatican and state religions that had inquisitions. Something the US Constitution does not allow. I think Jena would agree she has the right to express a religious opinion but she nor the state has the right to force a specific religion on you.

Agree or disagree. Whatever. Who cares.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 28, 2022 10:49AM

Sure, she has a right to express her opinion. She does not have a right to not have blowback if her opinion is hateful, idiotic and wildly inappropriate under the circumstances that the people she is bad-mouthing were the victims of a mass murder.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 28, 2022 11:56AM

Exactly. Thank you. She deserves a LOT of blowback IMO.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.