Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 27, 2022 02:31PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 27, 2022 04:05PM

Why? I remember rotary dial phones to be very painful for the fingers. They were slow to dial, too.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 27, 2022 09:53PM

Sounds like you’re unashamed to take some of us back there, summer !

I admire up-front people who are seemingly without egos!

Cheers & Smiles, summer. ;)

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 28, 2022 03:39PM

I remember dialing long 11 digit numbers only to get the busy signal.

Hurt my fingers too.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 28, 2022 04:56PM

rotary phone when area codes were used???

Date: December 03, 2022 12:31PM

If I'm remembering correctly, yes. I remember the old 7-digit numbers (going back further, I remember the exchanges which started with alphabet letters, i.e. RF7-0101.) Then area codes were introduced, and it was not a happy-making transition. Everyone hated the newer, longer numbers. As BoJ explains below, there was an upcharge for any newer service, such as push-button phones. My family, not wanted to spend money without a very good reason, kept the rotary dial phone for years. That made for ten very painful numbers to dial whenever you wanted to make a phone call. The only thing I can think to compare it to is if you've ever driven a manual transmission car with a stiff clutch or a balky shift. Every time you operate it, it's painful.

We also had a second, illegal phone in the basement where my dad had his workshop and my mom had her laundry station. My mom cautioned me to never mention it to any phone company representative.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: November 28, 2022 06:51PM

Not sure I can ever remember rotary phones ever being painful to the fingers but was in my late 20s before a phone became desirable or useful.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 02, 2022 10:58PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2022 10:59PM by caffiend.

Posted by: nli ( )
Date: December 02, 2022 07:16PM

Yeah, so what do you do when you dial a number that has an automated response menu with items like "Press 1 for English..."?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 02, 2022 10:02PM

You dial 1.

And no automated system in the US will say "press 1 for English". English speakers get very bent out of shape if they a (literally in this case) expected to lift a finger to carry on the interaction in English.

I actually had students in an interface design assignment analyze how that could be done differently. They figured out that the only way you could remove "press 1 for English" was either to abandon multilingual choices altogether, or simply insert the foreign language instruction for "to continue in Spanish, press 9".

Which is exactly what the industry ended up doing. I have found it interesting, and I suspect it is deliberate, that the number that is to be pressed varies from system to system. The people who had a cow about having to press a number for English apparently didn't have a problem with listening to a sentence they didn't understand. It took about the same amount of time, but didn't require lifting a finger, which was apparently a deal-breaker.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: December 02, 2022 09:59PM

I remember the touch tone phones were introduced at the Seattle Worlds Fair in 1962.

There was a demonstration that had you dial a phone number using a rotary phone and then a touch tone phone.

The results showed how much faster the new phones were compared to the old rotary.

I got a rotary installed my garage and had the grand kids "dial" a call. They humored me and said they preferred their cell phones.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 02, 2022 10:14PM

I had to take some computer hardware classes, where I learned that at some point phone companies installed hardware to to convert the clicks of the dial system with the tones of the touch-tone system. The tones were faster and easier to transmit.

So tones were the default, and dialed numbers were converted to tones. However, and this really fried my grits, phone companies charged extra for touchtone service and gave you dial service "for free" (which didn't mean free, but there was no surcharge).

Phone service was heavily regulated (remember not being able to own your own phone, you had to rent a Bell phone forever?) and the phone companies were allowed to add a surcharge for new features, but not add a surcharge for technology that was outdated and was being phased out.

So the companies charged for touch tone long after it was their cheaper and preferred alternative. They made more money charging for touchtone than they lost having to continue to support dial service.

And Ma Bell wondered why everybody hated them.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 02, 2022 10:29PM

> And Ma Bell wondered why everybody hated them.

AT&T is so much better.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 02, 2022 10:59PM

Date: December 03, 2022 12:32PM

"Is this the party to whom I am speaking?" :D

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: December 03, 2022 01:05PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.