Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: December 07, 2022 08:26PM

‘Mormon Land’: Our church is wrong on the Respect for Marriage Act, say two well-known Orthodox members.
Paul Mero and Stuart Reid argue apostle Dallin Oaks’ push for a balanced approach to LGBTQ rights and religious freedom is off target, urge the faith to stay out of the political culture wars.

When The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announced its support of the Respect for Marriage Act, which is designed to codify same-sex marriage while safeguarding religions from embracing such unions in their policies and practices, many members, especially LGBTQ allies, rejoiced.

Not all of the faithful, however, agreed with the historic decision.

Paul Mero, former president of the conservative Sutherland Institute think tank, for one, says the Utah-based faith’s backing of LGBTQ rights in recent years led to this unwise and unnecessary move. And Stuart Reid, a former Army chaplain, state senator and public affairs representative for the church, says it’s misguided to tacitly endorse civil same-sex marriage when the practice is viewed doctrinally as an “abomination” to God.

Both argue that the church would be better off stepping away from politics and the nation’s culture wars. (A bit late for that. They should lose their tax exempt status.)

On this week’s show, they discuss why the church should have stayed on the sideline on this topic, how it betrays Latter-day Saint teachings, how it confuses members and former allies, why the approach from apostle Dallin Oaks, first counselor in the governing First Presidency, advocating compromise on LGBTQ rights and religious liberties, is ill-advised, and what the global faith of 16.8 million members should be doing instead.

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2022/12/07/mormon-land-two-orthodox-members

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2022 08:31PM by schrodingerscat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 07, 2022 08:32PM

I'm very comfortable with the notion that the church only did it to help perpetuate the notion that religions should remain free from discrimination when it comes to their desire to discriminate.

And on that basis, I find no fault in their silliness.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 07, 2022 11:16PM

They threw others who want to discriminate under the bus, but protected their own butt (BYU), so they are happy with the deal they cut.It was completely self-serving. I would expect nothing more of them.

I have never figured out why we should care in the least about what the Sutherland Institute thinks about anything. As far as a I can tell, it was Paul Mero and maybe three other people who got together and decided to call themselves the Sutherland Institute, and then began lobbing bloviation at the local newspapers in SLC.

Paul Mero apparently got himself kicked out of the Sutherland Institute, but continues to lob bloviation at the SLTrib who publishes it for God knows why. I guess they have space to fill.

Ditto Stuart Reid. His picture is in the dictionary next to the definition for "sanctimony". I'm not even sure he is still LDS. I tend to agree with him, but I can't shake the feeling of "who are you, and why should I care?"

As for the statement that LDS Inc should lose its tax exemption, I assume that was El Gato's opinion. That basically means he has no idea on what grounds a tax exemption for a church can be revoked. Supporting or opposing something like the RFMA is not on the list.

Date: December 07, 2022 08:45PM

They believe freedom of religion means freedom to discriminate against a protected class of people, based solely upon their biologically determined sexual preference.

Just like ‘orthodox MORmONS’ up until a few decades ago, believed their freedom of religion gave them the freedom to discriminate against blacks by denying them entry into their inner sanctums, even though women had been admitted all along, Sans priesthood.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: December 07, 2022 11:57PM

Oaks has been their attack dog for 60 years. Now that dog won't hunt. The God that never changes is changing yet again.

Date: December 07, 2022 11:42PM

I thought elitism was the church's main value proposition. Not only did they take away my planet, but now they are reducing the number of serfs in my celestial fiefdom.

I'm glad someone is pushing back on these sell-outs. Next thing they'll be telling us to love one another or some sh*t.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 07, 2022 11:49PM

What I find amusing is that once again we see the perils of having tolerated the development of two factions within the church. One is traditionally conservative, the other is radical conservative, and the result is a minefield across which only a real moron, or perhaps EOD, is rash enough to tread.

The church can't excommunicate the Bundys because that would offend the radical conservatives. It couldn't overtly condemn TFG for the same reason, which meant all they could do was ask Mormons to support politicians who led moral lives and reaffirm their commitment to the US constitution. And now we see that when they do something self-interested but appearing to be liberal, the LDS fundies come after them publicly.

There is indeed a fault line running beneath the Wasatch front.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: December 08, 2022 02:28AM

Boyd K Packer is surely rolling in his grave. He’s going to kick Oaks’and Russ’s asses when they die and go to the spirit world.

Date: December 08, 2022 02:40AM

Hmmm. Not a problem unless a sizable percentage of the church breaks away and becomes the Orthodox Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. We will have to wait and see what kind of prophets come out of the woodwork and denounce Russ as a fallen prophet. Ha! Ha!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 08, 2022 02:45AM

I think their greater worry is that a quarter or a third of the church decides it's gone astray and simply stops attending. A religion whose numerical strength is at best stagnant cannot afford to lose an additional tranche of believers.

Date: December 08, 2022 11:43PM

"He’s going to kick Oaks’and Russ’s asses when they die and go to the spirit world."

The church is no longer run by GAs. It is run by lawyers. Oaks didn't find Jesus, the lawyers found him.

Date: December 08, 2022 11:42AM

I didn’t even know that there were ‘orthodox MORmONs’.
But kinda surprised they are not more outwardly recognizable, like ‘Orthodox Jews” but instead of funny hats and beards and long sideburns, they could wear their Jesus Jammies on the outside of their clothes and wear redickulously long ties.

Date: December 09, 2022 04:19AM

Actually having a reformed sect and an orthodox sect is a sign the religious movement has matured. I know Jews who are atheists but are still proud to be Jewish. Mormons aren't that way. if they go the atheist route they want nothing to do with the church and have no pride in Mormon heritage whatsoever.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: December 09, 2022 08:55AM

There is now a new movement, the OLDS

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.