Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 22, 2022 11:17AM

Last week some animal rights activist released 10,000 mink from their cages in Ohio. According to the news, so many were run over on the freeway that they had to use a snow plow to remove them. A sudden flood of 10,000 mink most likely will do damage to the eco system destroying many small animals and birds. One squirrel already viewed having its face chewed off.

Doing Good often goes very wrong and someone needs to start a school for Do Gooders. "Thinking 101" would be a valuable class for the Philanthropic Prone. "Consequence Weighing" lectures could be valuable for the Leap-Before-You-Look crowd.

The "Control of Humanitarian Hemorrhaging" seminars could stem the damage done by Bleeding Hearts. And a graduate course called "Curtailing the Policing of Others" as you invent new ways to shame and an endless stream of new pronouns for people to "get it right--or else!" could go a long way to making the world a better place. "Consider Before You Cancel" term papers required.

But for those bragging they are saving the planet by buying a Tesla ---- No diploma for you! (Said in my best Soup Nazi voice)

*OT--Old Testament of Cranky ole D&D

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: November 22, 2022 12:10PM

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 22, 2022 12:15PM

You remind me of the activists throwing food at art in museums. We have apparently returned to the recurrent juvenile practice of egotism masked as progressivism.

It's as sad as it is harmful to the causes these buffoons purport to support.

Posted by: AesthetiFiend ( )
Date: November 22, 2022 12:32PM

Date: November 22, 2022 12:36PM

Okay! That made me laugh a good one.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: November 22, 2022 12:33PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You remind me of the activists throwing food at
> art in museums.

Destruction in the name of preservation doesn't fly.

Fortunately, as far as I've heard, the paintings were protected by glass so were not defaced or destroyed.

Here's another perspective on the tactic, from Art & Design:

https://www.thenationalnews.com/arts-culture/art-design/2022/11/04/why-are-climate-activists-throwing-food-at-masterpieces/

"This news cycle brings to my mind two things, as they relate to art.

"First, iconoclasm: this is the term that means 'to destroy icons' — it has applied, in the past, to religiously motivated destruction of works of art, but also to nonconformists who challenge beliefs or institutions. In both cases, the painting was behind glass, and there was no damage to the van Gogh or the Monet.

"These acts were not destruction of art. But in both cases they were a challenge to beliefs and institutions, in current financial systems: one of the tomato soup-throwers said that they were doing it to call attention to 'the current cost of living crisis in the UK with growing concerns about the cost of energy' and to urge leaders to invest in renewable energy."

-----

They're certainly garnering attention for their cause. I'm just hoping there's enough precautions in place to prevent damage to or destruction of invaluable irreplaceable artworks. Sometimes you can create a monster and lose control of it.

Date: November 22, 2022 12:51PM

"They're certainly garnering attention for their cause." Laugh I thought I"d die, Nightingale. :) You give people more creditr that I do, my friend.

Consider this--lots of articles talking about it but this one nails it:

"The average human attention span is now shorter than a goldfish’s. A recent study found that the average human attention span has fallen from 12 seconds in 2000 to eight seconds today. It is reported that goldfish have a 9-second attention span."

Getting attention as gone the way of the "ole gray mare".

Date: November 22, 2022 01:04PM

Done & Done Wrote:
> "They're certainly garnering attention for their
> cause." Laugh I thought I"d die, Nightingale.
> :)

Glad to be of service. :)

I'd like to have a job clocking goldfish. For about 9.5 seconds.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: November 24, 2022 11:54AM

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 22, 2022 12:30PM

This is done to "end oil," but what about all the cars backed up--idling their engines? There have already been reports of ambulances that could not move their patients to hospitals, I know of one case where a man missed his father's funeral because of these thoughtless shenanigans.

I saw a video from Italy of some muscular motorists --one looked Saharan--picking up the protestors and heaving them over the guard rails. Way to go!

In Germany, some "end oil" protestors glued them to the floor, and were shocked--shocked!--that the museum locked them in overnight, not allowing them to have food, water, or bowls to relieve themselves in. The museum was decried as heartless.

I wonder if those protestors realized that the adhesive was probably a petroleum-based product.

Have these virtue-signaling idiots ever changed anybody's mind on anything?

Date: November 22, 2022 12:56PM

Your post warmed my heart. Love what they did to the museum protestors. Hope they all shat their pants.

Date: November 22, 2022 11:34PM

Date: November 22, 2022 01:03PM

caffiend Wrote:
> I saw a video from Italy of some muscular
> motorists --one looked Saharan

There's a descriptor I don't come across often. In fact - never. (the "Saharan", not the "muscular motorists" although I don't see many of them about either).

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: November 22, 2022 02:59PM

Could have been one of the Three Nephites

Date: November 22, 2022 03:03PM

Ha. Does fit their M.O.---God's own Auto Club.

Date: November 22, 2022 11:39PM

Nightingale Wrote:
> caffiend Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
one looked Saharan
>
> There's a descriptor I don't come across often. In
> fact - never. (the "Saharan", not the "muscular
> motorists" although I don't see many of them about
> either)

My point was that he didn't look Italian or southern Mediterranean. His face looked west African, but his complexion was light coffee, and his hair straight. Definitely interracial, very exotic. I replayed the video several times, fascinated by his ethnicity as well as the utter efficiency--and roughness--with which he dispatched a couple of protestors: he scooped them up in a cradle carry, carried them to the side, and heaved them over a knee-high guard rail. In the footage I saw, they didn't return to the roadway.

Bravo!

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: November 23, 2022 08:51PM

Causes may change but protest methods no so much. Votes for women campaigners in the early part of the 20th Century attacked art to draw attention. A famous painting in London's national Gallery was severely slashed back in the day as part of a protest.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 24, 2022 12:26PM

These people weren't do-gooders at all. They didn't release the minks so that the animals could lead a full and free life. They knew a good many of the mink were going to die in relatively short order as road kill, starved, or lunch for other predators.

Their purpose was to impose economic hardship on the rancher, and in that they were probably satisfied that they were totally successful. They weren't do-gooders. They were terrorists. Let's not give do-gooders a bad name.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: November 24, 2022 12:42PM

I'm kind of reminded of the historical stories of native Americans sitting on railroad tracks to prevent the trains "iron horses" from going through. Needless to say, in this game of chicken, they lost.

And then, there is the modern-day version of that, not done out of protest but done for the need to get somewhere in a hurry. I'm talking about the vehicles that, even though the signs are up saying that a train is approaching, attempt to cross the railroad tracks anyway. Stupidity knows no bounds. Apparently, neither do suicide missions!

Date: December 10, 2022 10:38PM

In Germany, the nuts glued them to the railing of the conductor's podium during a performance of Beethoven's Violin Concerto at Hamburg's Elbphilharmonie concert hall on November 25.

Things didn't work out for them.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/eco-protesters-glue-to-railing-hamburg-concert-removed/

As Merle Haggard put it (sort of), messing with Beethoven brings out the fighting side of me!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 11, 2022 07:25AM

At some point nutria (another animal cultivated for its fur,) were released in Maryland, and they did a lot of damage to the environment. There was a concerted effort to eradicate them, which I believe was successful. Generally speaking, invasive species don't mix well with the delicate ecosystem of the Chesapeake Bay.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: December 11, 2022 01:58PM

Mormons didn’t do much for Utah

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.