Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: December 10, 2022 07:13AM

The Gay Men’s Choir of Washington DC performs at the Washington DC temple visitors center for the Christmas celebration. The For Young Men Only pamphlets are gone and Boyd K Packer is dead. What legacy did Elder Packer leave on the church? Not much. I think people are glad he’s gone. Seems like market research, public opinion and wanting to avoid losing tax exempt status guides the church more than old crusty apostles do.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 10, 2022 08:34AM

Their well-paid advertising and public relations handlers assure church leaders that yours is a minority view, and that the world loves and esteems clean-shaven, pious men-in-suits.

Plus, research shows that many, maybe even half, of those who attend church regularly, do so by choice!!

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: December 10, 2022 09:58AM

other churches; most recently touting a musical group and they church they represent.

Not too many years ago one would have fell over dead to see this.

It IS all related to market research and public opinion. Very interesting, indeed.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 10, 2022 10:14AM

>wanting to avoid losing tax exempt status

Oh, good grief. Why do people keep saying that? The only time LDS Inc's tax status was ever in jeopardy was back in the days of polygamy, which technically was before there was an income tax. The federales tried to dissolve the entire church over polygamy.

In modern times (since WWI-ish) their tax status has never been in jeopardy - not over Blacks and the priesthood, not over women and the priesthood, not over LGBTQ and the priesthood, and not over Cheerios in Sacrament Meeting.

I have no hope of getting people to stop saying that LDS Inc did X to avoid losing their tax exempt status, because it seems to be exMos' favorite wet dream. LDS Inc is going to lose its tax exempt status.

There does seem to be a fair to middling chance they will be in some trouble with Australian law, but I am sure they will find some way to contort themselves to come into line with Australian charity requirements. But in the US? Fuggedaboutit. They are bulletproof.

The BYUs may have to worry a bit. The church itself, at least in the US, not at all, IMHO.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 10, 2022 11:07AM

Oh, I don't know. As the rise of the "nones" progresses in the U.S., non-religious people might be willing to take a second look at churches automatically getting the tax exemption.

I personally would favor limiting the tax exemption, and putting certain requirements on churches in return for tax breaks.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 10, 2022 02:16PM

Yes, but that would be a problem for all religions and not just for the LDS church--in which case nothing the LDS church does will make a difference.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 10, 2022 11:20AM

Do you agree they do things to maintain federal funding such as the amendment in the marriage act to protect BYU for example?

Sometimes when it comes to religion, I often sloppily lump together getting government money for things with getting government tax breaks. I do think religion carefully navigates in both areas.

Date: December 11, 2022 02:12AM

Of course they do. Do you honestly think the church invites the Gay Men of Washington DC Choir to sing at the temple because the members will like it? It’s a PR move because the political climate has changed. Boyd K Packer would be having a tizzy over this.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 10, 2022 10:20AM

I generally agree that Boyd's day has passed. that said, Bednar appears to be Boyd 2.0.

Date: December 11, 2022 02:14AM

I’ve never heard Bednar talk about dicks but he seems to be one.

Posted by: greymatter ( )
Date: December 10, 2022 02:17PM

Poor Boyd must be wanking in his grave.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 10, 2022 04:38PM

Best come back of the day!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 10, 2022 11:27PM

Date: December 12, 2022 12:05AM

I considered the spelling I'd use for that one word...hmmm

Date: December 10, 2022 03:35PM

Packer transformed Mormonism. Many of his particular speeches and practices have gone by the wayside, but the police state remains.

Mormonism will never recover from the cookie-cutter thinking of Kimball, the cynical public relations and mainstreaming of Hinckley, and the Stasi brutality of Packer. Those men collectively cost the religion a generation of committed believers, many of whom grace this board.

Date: December 11, 2022 02:16AM

You can change an organization by grooming the children. If you want to see where the church is going in the future look at what the kids are being taught.

Date: December 10, 2022 06:07PM

After I gained adulthood and truly became a non believer I came to understand that the cult's "rules" (that seemed to dictate minute details of the lives of most of the Mormons I knew) were totally bogus and completely unenforceable as they applied to my life. That was a freeing moment.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 10, 2022 06:38PM

Packer wrote a letter to mission presidents to emphasize that missionaries need to limit or restrict their phone calls on Christmas and Mother's Day to only to a few minutes.

The rationale? It was too distracting to the work and...

Drum role please ===> It was too costly for families.

Here's a corporation being paid 350 a month to cover missionary expenses and the Mormon family or ward sponsor pays another 3-4K in missionary clothing, bicycles, scriptures.

The church pays almost nothing, but the young man/ young woman pays a lot to conform to LDS Missionary culture. I was told to buy a planner and not just any portable planner but the real pricey one~ Franklin Planner.

Here's the BKP letter from 2000

https://mormonleaks.io/wiki/documents/2/22/Missionaries_Communications_with_Their_Families-2000-10-26.pdf

Date: December 10, 2022 06:59PM

I truly hope BKP is enjoying his time in Satan's furnace.

Date: December 10, 2022 07:10PM

Lethbridge Reprobate Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I truly hope BKP is enjoying his time in Satan's
> furnace.

Whether members were trying to understand homosexuality or trapped in a youth program which determined any normal experience with puberty was a sin, BKP wrecked the church.

I hope he's rotting in his grave.

Date: December 10, 2022 08:41PM

That too!

Posted by: ftw ( )
Date: December 12, 2022 01:43AM

So true... BKP messed up so many lives.

Date: December 11, 2022 02:19AM

I feel sorry for Satan if he’s stuck with Boyd.

Date: December 10, 2022 07:34PM

I hope it isn't lost on the members and the people who view the Xmas presentation how sick it is that gay guys are allowed to entertain on temple grounds, but are not allowed inside.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: December 10, 2022 08:12PM

in b 4 ~

they are not entertaining ~

an ~

they are not allowed inside ~

Posted by: BoydKKK ( )
Date: December 10, 2022 10:23PM

You forget the Boyd KKK Packer Memorial Temple in Brigham City. Land owned by the Packer Clan Real Estate Company(promised to be a business center - tore down an elementary school for the project) was used for it.

Boyd had his day.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: December 11, 2022 12:08AM

But it hasn't been thrown into the dustbin. Yes, the COB has stopped printing his speeches and pamphlets, but, as usual, they never have- and never will- tell the members that BKP was wrong. So his legacy will endure to the end of time. That's how they roll. So you will still have bishops making young men feel like sh!t for normal sexual urges. You will still have funerals in the shape of Sacrament Meetings. And on and on. Nothing will change- not really.

Date: December 11, 2022 12:33AM

Very true. Virtually all of the old "doctrines" live on to be resurrected at will by ambitious clergy or maverick seminary and institute teachers.

Because the church never takes responsibility to fix its mistakes, the harm never stops.

Date: December 11, 2022 12:55AM

It seems like it was only yesterday when I politely asked, “¿Órale, where all da White women at?”, and was flown from Mexico City to SLC, and then driven down to enroll in the Y.

And there they were!

Date: December 11, 2022 01:47AM

Let me guess.

Before you knew it, you were playing on the university soccer team and the cheerleaders were giggling at your sombrero.

You might have done better simply going to the studious floor of the library and waiting for dagny who, fresh from having broken the heart of an ill-starred football player, would have approached you and commented on how fetchingly intelligent you looked.

Date: December 11, 2022 09:04AM

I’m sure 14 year old Dagny Taggart was cute, but I am broken, not bent.

Date: December 11, 2022 12:13PM

Yes, it's true. You've exposed my MO.
I would have spotted elderolddog quietly studying and checked him out to see if he had other qualifying signs, like garment lines.

Date: December 11, 2022 04:48PM

Haha. That image is hard to imagine.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: December 11, 2022 09:06AM

than their parents knew in high school and college or their grandparents did as adults.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 11, 2022 09:32AM

The church is run like a business, so I don't expect anything more of church leaders than I would of your average corporate CEO. They can run a large organization (or not,) and that's it. They are hardly spiritual giants.

Date: December 11, 2022 10:51AM

It's just about become impossible to compare *Church Leaders* to any other group without it becoming insulting to whatever that other group is.

Date: December 11, 2022 04:48PM

Dem fax is tru.

Date: December 12, 2022 11:21AM

Here's what I have read/learned about his church legacy. Feel free to add or correct this list.

For the strength of the youth - already discussed his hatred of gays and little factory talks

Music- he was instrumental in developing the then new hymnal of 1984-1985. Many songs were "dumped" because they were not spiritual enough. Some songs had their lyrics corrected. Joy to the World has many Mormon tweaks.

BKP also was behind the idea of white shirts for sacrament and Mormon standards for church dances.

And do you recall that the church had a banned list of songs? Yes, he was on that committee as well.

Primary- he was behind the deliberate scripture reading during primary pageants. The church moved away from children singing.

He also was behind primary graduation standards- At 12 years, the young man/woman would receive a diploma but only if they could recite the Articles of Faith perfectly.

The idea that every church activity must have a spiritual purpose.

Those lesson manuals and scope/sequence of what was to be taught on what day. BKP hated personally developed lessons taught in Sunday School, PH and RS. Stick to the lesson!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.