Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: December 07, 2022 07:31PM

I bet they never thought advocating discrimination would be ever used against them...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/food/2022/12/06/metzger-restaurant-family-foundation/

A restaurant in Richmond last week canceled a reservation for a private event being held by a conservative Christian organization, citing the group’s opposition to same-sex marriage and abortion rights.

“We have always refused service to anyone for making our staff uncomfortable or unsafe and this was the driving force behind our decision,” read an Instagram post from Metzger Bar and Butchery, a German-influenced restaurant in the Union Hill neighborhood whose kitchen is helmed by co-owner Brittanny Anderson, a veteran of TV cooking shows including “Top Chef” and “Chopped.” “Many of our staff are women and/or members of the LGBTQ+ community. All of our staff are people with rights who deserve dignity and a safe work environment. We respect our staff’s established rights as humans and strive to create a work environment where they can do their jobs with dignity, comfort and safety.”

The group, the Family Foundation, was set to host a dessert reception for supporters on Nov. 30, the group’s president, Victoria Cobb, wrote in a blog post describing the incident. About an hour and a half before it was slated to start, one of the restaurant’s owners called to cancel it, she wrote. “As our VP of Operations explained that guests were arriving at their restaurant shortly, she asked for an explanation,” Cobb wrote. “Sure enough, an employee looked up our organization, and their wait staff refused to serve us.”

The Family Foundation is based in Richmond and advocates for “policies based on biblical principles.” It has lobbied against same-sex marriage and abortion rights.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 07, 2022 07:42PM

I thought for sure it was going to be because they didn't want to expose the fundies to the staff uniforms, which mingle cotton and wool . . .

The horror!

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: December 07, 2022 08:07PM

From the church organization's website:

https://www.familyfoundation.org/blog/xnmpbmbpylz2dc9iuhjg5gouvuhunn

Excerpts from the Christian organizer’s account of the incident:

"Have you ever been denied a meal because of your beliefs?"

I have to pause here just to point out the glaring irony. If I were known for advocating discrimination against certain groups I deemed undesirable I wouldn't turn around and claim discrimination because someone didn't want to host MY function.

Just a wee bit tone deaf. (It made me wince).

Continuation of her blurb:

"Last night, our team and supporters got that firsthand experience when Metzger’s Bar and Butchery in Richmond, VA refused to service our pre-reserved event, leaving us scrambling just moments before. For weeks, we had planned a gathering of supporters and interested people in a private room to fellowship and receive an update on our work. About an hour and a half before the event was set to take place, one of the restaurant’s owners called our team to cancel the event. As our VP of Operations explained that guests were arriving at their restaurant shortly, she asked for an explanation. Sure enough, an employee looked up our organization, and their wait staff refused to serve us."

----

Again, all I can say is tone deaf. It's sad to be so oblivious. They are doing to others **exactly** what they are complaining about when they experience it themselves.

She continues:

"Welcome to the 21st century, where people who likely consider themselves “progressives” attempt to recreate an environment from the 1950s and early 60s, when people were denied food service due to their race."

I stop to check what I'm reading.

Yep. Even more tone deaf. Also, false equivalency.

She then writes:

"...the U.S. Senate passed the “(Dis)Respect for Marriage Act..."

Way to show respect, eh?

She ends:

"We will speak out when we see this type of religious discrimination occurring in Virginia."

----

Something they object to on religious grounds they consider discrimination. But in the VERY SAME write-up she renames the Respect for Marriage Act in a disrespectful way (as above).

Equal rights, baby.

Of course that's not the absolute end of her write-up. She finishes with a fundraising appeal to fight this type of discrimination.

Doesn't stop to see it from the POV of the servers who SHE would not allow to enjoy the same rights she denies for herself and the rest of her particular group.

The short-sightedness is breathtaking.

I usually try not to be (too) critical of religious folks (unless they really, really deserve it, such as those despicable plygs for one example). But this is blatant. And kinda embarrassing.

From The Washington Post about the same incident:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/food/2022/12/06/metzger-restaurant-family-foundation/

“We have always refused service to anyone for making our staff uncomfortable or unsafe and this was the driving force behind our decision,” read an Instagram post from Metzger Bar and Butchery, a German-influenced restaurant in the Union Hill neighborhood whose kitchen is helmed by co-owner Brittanny Anderson, a veteran of TV cooking shows including “Top Chef” and “Chopped.” “Many of our staff are women and/or members of the LGBTQ+ community. All of our staff are people with rights who deserve dignity and a safe work environment. We respect our staff’s established rights as humans and strive to create a work environment where they can do their jobs with dignity, comfort and safety.”

“The Family Foundation is based in Richmond and advocates for “policies based on biblical principles.” It has lobbied against same-sex marriage and abortion rights.”

“A lot of people are outraged that a restaurant wants to make a litmus test at the door,” she [Cobb, the Christian organizer] said. “Everyone should be concerned that people are being denied service based on their politics.” [or sexual identity or religious affiliation or …]!

“…she [Cobb] decried what she called a “double standard” by liberals who think a Colorado baker should not be allowed to refuse to make a wedding cake for a same-sex couple.”

This could be an interesting discussion!

From the article again:

“Legal experts say neither of those [race, religion] are apt analogies. While it’s illegal to discriminate against someone because of their race or religion, the restaurant’s refusal had to do with the group’s actions, said Elizabeth Sepper, a professor at the University of Texas. “It’s about the overall positions and policies the group has taken — it’s not about Christian vs. non-Christian,” she said.”

Yeah. Makes sense to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2022 08:07PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 07, 2022 08:19PM

"They can dish it but can't take it", like my grandma used to say.

Some things never change so all the old sayings stay relevant. Funny how that works.

Date: December 07, 2022 08:45PM

Yeah. Funny like a gnawing toothache. :(

Or a kick in the rear end with a football boot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2022 08:45PM by Nightingale.

Date: December 07, 2022 08:57PM

There's a good article in The Atlantic (Sept 2017) on the history of racism in the Mormon Church but I can't link to it as it covers some current political ground as well.

But here's an excerpt about their teachings concerning race:

"Like other religious groups, Mormons have a complicated history around race. Until a few decades ago, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints taught that they “shall be a white and a delightsome people,” a phrase taken from the Book of Mormon. Until the 1970s, the LDS Church also restricted black members’ participation in important rituals and prohibited black men from becoming priests, despite evidence that they had participated more fully in the earliest years of the Church."

-----

So maybe the woman who is protesting on behalf of her group about not being welcome to eat in a certain restaurant needs to brush up on some history.

It's too bad we often don't see inequity until it slaps us upside our own heads, as it has done for this Christian group.

All too often, it doesn't seem like discrimination when we're the ones who are doing the discriminating.

It's not so easy to overlook when we feel it's being done to us.

I could hope that this group may learn something from this experience. But if positions are too cemented in, whatever the issues, the chances are not good that this will be the outcome, at least not in the short term.

It would be amazing if they could sit and discuss this with people from "the other side" and gain some insight.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2022 08:59PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: L.A. Exmo ( )
Date: December 07, 2022 08:15PM

…waiting for the inevitable lawsuit in 3, 2, 1…

Entitled fundies like this group love to dish it out, but cry religious persecution when it's their turn to take it.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: December 07, 2022 08:28PM

They thought their ‘religious freedom’ would make it ok to be openly hateful.

Date: December 07, 2022 08:44PM

schrodingerscat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They thought their ‘religious freedom’ would
> make it ok to be openly hateful.

Yes. You've got to be able to see two sides to every equation.

I may have learned that in Math class, but I'm not sure (paging BoJ...).

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 07, 2022 08:45PM

I've been waiting for something like this to happen.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: December 07, 2022 09:12PM

Help! Help! I'm being repressed!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 07, 2022 09:19PM

A lot of people don't really understand something until it happens to them.

Remember how Liz Cheney eventually realized she was wrong about her opposition to gay marriage when she saw the impact it had on her sister Mary?

I hope Ted Cruz might buy a vowel too now that the issue has come home to roost for his family too. Gay hate causes a lot of pain for gay people. Some families don't realize it until it happens to their own family. I know this is true for lots of Mormon families too because my own BIL was deeply damaged because of his anti gay mother and siblings.

So, I'm hoping when someone gets turned down at a restaurant, just maybe they will realize that is how it feels to others.

Then again, many people are just fine making others suffer. I don't have hope for them to change and I fear they are numerous. Many use God as justification like my MIL.

It was just a matter of time before people started providing object lessons since irony appears to be lost on some.

Date: December 07, 2022 09:27PM

dagny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So, I'm hoping when someone gets turned down at a
> restaurant, just maybe they will realize that is
> how it feels to others.

I hope so too, dagny.

But in this instance, this woman seems oblivious to that. Maybe it will come clear to her soon.

Unfortunately, though, some people are so entrenched in their position they seem incapable of seeing another viewpoint or experience or just somebody else's preference, in the widest sense of the word.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 07, 2022 09:38PM

Imagine what this means for the 303 Creative case before the supreme court. If they recognize the free speech right of the woman to discriminate against gay people, they are opening the door to this sort of anti-EV behavior.

The obvious distinction for the supremes to reach is the creative element of the woman's work versus run-of-the-mill restaurant service, which is arguably uncreative and hence not covered by freedom of speech. But is that sustainable? Is there not a class-based problem with allowing people to discriminate based on their job type?

The potential for another Kangaroo self-own is significant here. If they side with 303 Creative, they are going to be very busy swatting away free speech cases arising non-conservative groups over the coming years.

Posted by: BoydKKK ( )
Date: December 07, 2022 10:38PM

Hope they had the sign up.

WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE SERVICE TO ANYONE.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 07, 2022 10:48PM

Irony with a capital I

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 07, 2022 11:27PM

I would think the restaurant is on pretty shaky legal ground, though as LW pointed out, SCOTUS may decide to firm that ground up considerably.

As a goose-gander example, I'm impressed.Therre are probably two law firms in Richmond that will not need to look for cases for a year or two.

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: December 08, 2022 02:52PM

Ok I guess that makes it ok for a cake shop to discrimate on Lgbtq customers.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: December 08, 2022 04:08PM

Let me see if I got this right:

A group wants to discriminate against LGBTQ people, a restaurant gives them a taste of what it's like, and you think the answer is *more* discrimination against LGBTQ folks? If the glory of God is intelligence, this argument is a disgrace.

Posted by: dorcasd ( )
Date: December 13, 2022 09:51AM

"EV fundie group"

I was thinking, what in the world is an "electric vehicle fundie group?!" LOL

Posted by: dorcasd ( )
Date: December 13, 2022 09:56AM

But, yeah, I'm with Nightingale.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.