Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: December 13, 2022 12:56PM

I went through 12 years of public school like most people did. Every year I would bring home a quarterly report card for my Dad to see. This wasn’t a fun experience as I wasn’t a stellar student. I learned how to doctor these report cards and turn a C- to a C+ easy enough and sometimes a D into a B.

If the mighty mormon church were to bring home a report card, this is what I think it would look like:

History: F-
Science: F-
Language Arts: B+
Math: F-
Physical Ed: D-
Social Studies: F-
Seminary: B
Crafts: ?
Art: C

Is this a fair assessment of what a mormon church report card might look like?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 13, 2022 01:35PM

I'd say you are about right, except, as an artist myself and making my living that way, I find you a little generous with the Art grade.

I realized if I were asked to grade the same disciplines 50 or so years ago it would be very different for me.

Say, 1968:

History: A-- Since we were the only ones who knew that Native Americans were really Lamanites

Science: A-- Since we knew the world was 6,000 years old, AND, we were the only ones who knew coffee was poison and sugar wasn't.

Language: A --Since we learned languages to spread the Lord's gospel so all could be saved.

Math: A --Since we all knew what 10% of anything at all was and that a church couldn't be true with a prophet and twelve apostles.

Seminary: A-- Since getting the while their young is the Lord's way.

Crafts: A-- Since all the ladies quilted and learned crafts and home making skills in Relief Society. My mom made Marble Grapes, clear cracked marble jewelry, a waste paper basked made from a cardboard ice cream bucket with rolled up magazine pages to decorate the outside, and a Barbie Doll cozy for the roll of toilet paper.

Art:-- A Since the murals in the SLC and Manti temples were lovely. And, Arnold Friberg gave us powerful images of a super race. Nothing like Swchartzeneggeresque Nephite Israelites!

What a difference a decade or two make.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 13, 2022 03:07PM

Bosoms!

I have no idea why reading the two lists resulted in what is meant to be praise for the church of my youth.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 13, 2022 04:38PM

PE and social studies should be higher.

They are good at social studies and lots of sports in the chapels.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 13, 2022 05:47PM

You're generous with the Language Arts grade. If one of my students passed in anything from the BoM, there would be a lot of red ink on it. For one thing, I would ban the phrase, "And it came to pass".

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 13, 2022 05:48PM

Off the top of my head, here's the report card for LDS Corp

Ensign Peak A+
Real estate holdings B+
Threats of Worthiness C (They are slipping)
Missions and Missionaries D-
Youth transitioning to faithful members F
Keeping women from becoming too uppity B
Being sued F

Posted by: dorcasd ( )
Date: December 15, 2022 09:36AM

Oh, did this bring back a memory. When I was in jr high, I had a small business forging "progress reports." For those who had some bad grades, I charged $5 per signature. Just bring me something with your parent's signature on it and I would forge the PR.

...Was going pretty good until I got busted forging my own. No more business and I was punished severely.

Afterward, my parent changed her signature. It looked like a doctor wrote it.... and still does.

As to the church...

Does not play well with others.

Excessive talking (not on subject)

Interrupts class

Bullies others

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 15, 2022 12:28PM

At the beginning of high senior year I had Susan Polley sign my mom's name to some paperwork the school sent home by the school.

I'd een caught ditching before, using the compare the signatures technique. When Paula B. and I ditched 8 days in a row, Susan wrote my excuse note, and they compared signatures, so no problems!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 15, 2022 12:45PM

You are so scammy, Jesus.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 15, 2022 12:35PM

High five!

In sixth grade I did the same. Mostly for permission to leave the school grounds at lunch and go to the store across the street. They brought me their parents signature and I copied it. Never got caught.

I never charged but someone had to buy my lunch ticket which cost 15Cents and I could get a whole bag of candy instead. Most things like Malt Balls and cinnamon bears were two for a penny and life was good.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 15, 2022 11:42AM

Where's the sex and death cult score? I'm sure someone here would like to know it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.