Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: April 15, 2011 07:37PM

Which one would you have to choose?
Xtian or Mormon?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 15, 2011 07:41PM

Mormon, because it's what I'm familiar with. I already know everyone there, and how to be a Mormon.

Luckily, I don't have to make such a choice.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 15, 2011 08:03PM

Yikes. What a bad choice to have to make.

I think I would pick Mormonism because I would get all their jokes and nuances.

At least Mormons spend time talking about BoM stories, conference GA babble AND Bible stories instead of telling the same 5 Bible stories over and over. There would be more fairy tales to chuckle over.

I don't like gospel music much and I don't want to hear "Praise Him" every 5 minutes. I wouldn't want to support any mega church preachers or any preachers for that matter. I'll stick to listening to Sister Nobody prattling on in testimonkey meeting about her bunion being healed.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: April 15, 2011 08:25PM

There are some Christian churches that at least have some tolerable qualities, such as great architecture, art and music. I'll never believe in either one, so I might as well go for something that is somewhat interesting. If I was forced by the government to choose a religion, I could probably be an Episcopalian.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 15, 2011 08:29PM

About a half step from Unitarianism.

On the other hand, I could be a Unitarian and call myself a Christian. They'd have no problem with that.

Better yet, I could be one of those grand hypocritical Christians over on the conservative side of the scale, where I get to condemn other people yet sin all I want because I've accepted Jesus and he will forgive me blah blah blah.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2011 08:32PM by Stray Mutt.

Posted by: glad2bout ( )
Date: April 15, 2011 08:55PM

Neither one or the other. That is the beauty of reality; not having to willingly jump from one cesspool into another.

Glad2B Out

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: April 15, 2011 08:58PM

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: April 15, 2011 08:55PM

I actually have "Episcopalian" as my religious preference on Facebook because it's Catholic Lite. It also lets any TBM's know that I'm not going to return to Mormonism. Even then, I'm one of those who only goes to church at Christmas, Easter, or for something like a wedding or funeral.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: April 16, 2011 06:35PM

Because jesus was a jerk, He promised everything delivered nothing. OTOH, Joseph at least enjoyed the fruits of His Labor & Loins.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 16, 2011 06:45PM

quinlansolo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Which one would you have to choose?
> Xtian or Mormon?

Xtian for sure. I could try all sorts of different "churches", I won't get in trouble for drinking coffee, tea or beer and many of them accept varying degrees of belief (i.e. not as dogmatic.)

Besides, Lamanites? Curloms? Limited Geography Theory? Golden Bible?

Really?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 16, 2011 07:08PM

There is a whole lot less judgment. You can come and go as you please and no one would come pounding on your door. Congregations retain most of their money and have great activities. No one will demand 10% of your income for blessings. You can drink coffee and tea at church suppers, and no one will look down on you for enjoying some wine, beer, or what have you.

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: April 16, 2011 07:09PM

And let me explain why: When the time comes this insane "plan of salvation" will have spread to HF's collegues and he will have lost custody of us kids.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: April 16, 2011 07:59PM

Xian. Either Catholic or Southern Baptist. The former offers high art, ritual and tradition, and the latter offers great music and high spirit.

Mormonism is bereft of any value that I can see.

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: April 16, 2011 08:01PM

There's nothing even remotely appealing about Mormonism that isn't shared by Christian religions. I've been to some nice Christian services with people who believe in a God, but aren't bigots. I suppose if I was forced to make a choice, I'd give that a try.

Thankfully, it won't come to that.

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: April 16, 2011 08:30PM

I would choose eternal non exsistence. I think mormonism and xtianity are both pretty much insane and I would rather not choose the least of two evils.

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: April 16, 2011 09:10PM

Hell, fire and brimstone, could never scare me......I was a mormon for over 50 years. What could ever be worse than that.??????????????

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.