Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: December 28, 2022 08:43PM

https://www.npr.org/2022/12/16/1139780043/what-is-time-physics-atomic-clocks-society?utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&fbclid=IwAR1Gl23fDG59H5BhSFa7xTxJrv7rUgax3fTBMnjlxxUFUxp2gOyiJfVMTmI

"It's never been easier to know what time it is. NIST broadcasts the time to points across the country. It's fed through computer networks and cellphone towers to our personal gadgets, which tick in perfect synchrony. Humanity's ever-improving agreement on the time smooths communication and transportation, and it lubricates our economy.

But time has another side to it, one that the clocks don't show.

"A lot of us grow up being fed this idea of time as absolute," says Chanda Prescod-Weinstein, a theoretical physicist at the University of New Hampshire. But Prescod-Weinstein says the time we're experiencing is a social construct. Real time is actually something quite different. In some of the odder corners of the Universe, space and time can stretch and slow — and sometimes even break down completely....
...Even farther from Earth, time gets really freaky.

In places where gravity is very strong, time as we understand it can break down completely. At the edge of black holes, for example, the powerful gravitational pull slows time dramatically, says Prescod-Weinstein. And upon crossing the black hole's point of no return, known as its event-horizon, she says space and time flip."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: December 28, 2022 09:03PM

Because we have to get to work when we're expected.

Time is a thing to those who write our paycheques.

Time organizes our days and weeks and months and years.

Time - saving it in a bottle - would that we could:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO1rMeYnOmM

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 28, 2022 09:27PM

Maybe time is an allusion?

Iconic infusion?

A measure of flowing delusion?

But for sure, *Time* is needed to help understand how long a body in motion tends to stay in motion.

Personally, I have an hourglass with cesium-33 sand, the most accurate sand there is.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 28, 2022 09:54PM

The title is click bait. The article does NOT say time is an illusion, just that it behaves differently in different situations.

A car moves forward, sometimes fast and sometimes slow. A car moves backward, sometimes fast and sometime slow. Neither the car nor the movement is an "illusion." The same is true of a bouncing ball, which is also real despite the varying effects of its interrelation with gravity. It would be nice if editors paid attention to what articles say rather engaging in unnecessary histrionics.

*rhetorical pivot* As for your "hour glass" claim, wouldn't a pear be closer to the truth?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 28, 2022 09:30PM

Because time is money.

Date: December 28, 2022 10:06PM

schrodingerscat Wrote:
-------------------------
>
> And upon crossing the black
> hole's point of no return,
> known as its event-horizon,
> she says space and time flip.
>

Pancakes?

Quarters?

Wilson?

...space and time should take their acrobatic routine to AGT...

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: December 28, 2022 10:44PM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sNj8mJq65i4

Everyone run to the other side of the ship!

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: December 29, 2022 04:41PM

My two cents on time illusion...

Like many of us older people, we've had close friends and relatives that have died recently.

To me, the time these people were in their final days as their health and physical conditions deteriorated, the time seemed to drag on. They were in constant need of health care, seems things lasted forever.

After their deaths and the funerals and memorials were done, time seems to speed up.

One hears things like Uncle Bill died in June and it's already Christmas. Mom passed 10 years ago, it seems like it was only yesterday.

Now time flys.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 29, 2022 05:25PM

Time is an illusion?

Tell that to my face. In particular--- my jowls would love to have a good laugh.

Date: December 29, 2022 05:27PM

Is that you, Jeffery?

Date: December 29, 2022 05:29PM

Ha and Ha. Good one.

Date: December 29, 2022 05:33PM

Damn. I was going to ask for an autograph!

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: December 29, 2022 06:01PM

If time is an illusion how come I think more and more often that mine is fast running like a lowering sand level in the hour glass of life?

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: December 30, 2022 10:22AM

Seems there are two different thoughts on this "time is an illusion" bit.

One thought is that time isn't real, I can't comment on it.

The other is that is seems, depending on circumstances, time either goes by very slowly or very fast.

Date: December 30, 2022 11:46AM

This time is an illusion thingy is just another word game. Nothing more. What's next? God is the universe?

I actually did save time in a bottle. My words once did actually make wishes come true. I have spent time. I have saved time. And I will probably do all that sometime again.

Date: December 30, 2022 12:35PM

I've always wanted to make time my bitch...

...So far, no success.  

I can't even ID time as liquid, solid or gaseous, although I feel pretty safe declaring it fireproof.

But everyone seems to agree that time can often be of the essence...  Weird, huh?

Dagny, what happens to "time" after you die?  Is this why you know that the Universe ends when it does?  Did you wind up time and when the spring unwinds, that's it?  Does someone else get to rewind it and start all over?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 30, 2022 01:32PM

Well, if I'm not there to perceive time, clearly time will vanish into nothingness like everything else when I die. I know that isn't comforting for you to hear but thanks for asking!

Date: December 30, 2022 02:15PM

I suppose it would be in all of our best interest to get you on Life Support as soon as possible then. Don't want to take any chances. And yes, time is of the essence as they say.

Date: December 30, 2022 02:19PM

LOL. Good idea!

Date: December 30, 2022 03:06PM

So, open the bidding...

How much do you want not to die?

Date: December 30, 2022 07:18PM

Remember, it would be POOF for you too!

I'm not all concerned about dying really. I just feel bad that billions will be going poof with me. ;-D

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: December 31, 2022 05:19PM

Neil de Grasse Tyson explains:
https://youtu.be/Rf8ic6Y1NG4

Date: December 31, 2022 05:37PM

Awesome. It explains so much of the board's excursions into the world of astrophysics.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: December 31, 2022 08:17PM

Anonymous User Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Neil de Grasse Tyson explains:
> https://youtu.be/Rf8ic6Y1NG4

AWEsome! Love that guy! Never saw that before!

NdGT on why he doesn't call himself an atheist,

https://youtu.be/I2itlUlD10M

even though the dictionary definition of atheist probably applies to him, the meaning of atheist today is defined by what leading atheists do and say. He just doesn't agree with atheists, especially when they want to tell him how to speak or think, based upon their expectation of what atheists think or say.

"We are stardust brought to life, then empowered by the universe to figure itself out—and we have only just begun." NDgT

I couldn't agree with him more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2022 08:27PM by schrodingerscat.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.