Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lost Mystic ( )
Date: April 15, 2011 08:03PM

My son is almost 7 y/o, and he is already a deep thinker. I am divorced from his completely TBM guilt ridden mother, who tries to fill his head full of the TSCC's bullcrap. Anyway, we spent the day together, and we were talking about evolution. He said "My mom says that humans didn't evolve over time, but I think she is wrong." So we had a long talk about evolution, and he loves it. Then he asked if churches evolve too. "Nobody here was around 2000 years ago, and I hate it when people at church say they know things as true. We weren't there, so we can't know for sure." So I taught him about the Catholic church and the protestant refromation. Then I talked about Mormonism. I explained that I learned that many things TSCC teaches changed over time. He got really mad at Brigham Young when I told him about blacks and the priesthood. I also taught him about Joseph Smith and polygamy, and many of his lies. He asked if most Bible stories were just stories to teach a lesson. He said "I'm pretty sure rainbows were here back when the dinosaurs were around...because science teaches that rainbows are made when light his water in a certain way. And I don't think God would ever kill all of those people. Plus, how would all of those animals fit on some boat and get along with eachother....It just doesn't make any sense. It's like the three little pigs. It teaches a good lesson, but it's made up. Plus everyone adds new parts to the three pigs story, but the lesson is the same." Then we talked about how God gave us brains to combine with our hearts, and to not just accept things they teach at church as true. We talked about how life is a school of learning, and not a test that you pass or fail, and he said "Yeah...Mormons have too many silly rules and you can't obey all of them all of the time." His mom cries every day at least 5 times a day, because she feels she doesn't measure up....and my son says it doesn't make sense for people to feel that guilty.

He said he will mainly just try to do his best to treat other people well, and to follow what Jesus taught.

The conversation went fantastic, and I think he will do just fine!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: exmollymo ( )
Date: April 15, 2011 08:09PM

That sounds wonderful! I haven't told my kids yet, but hope to soon.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 15, 2011 08:13PM

It shows you how kids become indoctrinated. They don't just naturally believe in a God.

When my nephew was about 5, he asked why some people go to church. So he was told how some people believe in God. He said, "But he's not real though, is he?"

He automatically figured that something hidden and invisible is probably not there.

Posted by: Moroni Marten ( )
Date: April 15, 2011 08:27PM

You're ex-wife is going to be pissed.

Date: April 15, 2011 08:30PM

I told my son that I haven't told her yet, and he said "I don't know if it will be a good idea to tell her..."

I replied that she will have to find out eventually

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 15, 2011 08:36PM

But I'm sure that you don't need me telling you that. ;-) You have quite the critical thinker there. I love the fact that you are nurturing his abilities.

> "We talked about how life is a school of learning, and not a test that you pass or fail..."

I love this notion. That's exactly how I feel about it. If you believe in a loving God (a God who is truly spiritually advanced,) why would such an entity "fail" his own children, and consign them to a place where growth is not possible? I believe in the God of possibilites!

Date: April 15, 2011 09:00PM

Oh...he also said he doesn't know if he believes in Satan. "I have my own bad thoughts, and it doesn't feel like anyone is telling me to break rules...just my own thoughts of doing things like that."

So we discussed that if Satan does exist, he can't be everywhere at once tempting everyone...and that people can be tempted all over the world at the same time...so that obviously it's our own desires that tempt us and not some evil spirit.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: April 15, 2011 09:01PM

Aren't kids great??? He sounds like a real thinker. You keep having great conversations and he will sooner than later see the cult for what it is.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 15, 2011 09:06PM

Good job on you too.

Date: April 15, 2011 09:07PM

Thanks for the support :)

He is a great thinker...he loves to question!

After 2 hours I had to stop the conversation so we could play legos...

Posted by: Moroni Marten ( )
Date: April 15, 2011 09:14PM

Don't you just love having father/son conversations like that! Talk about memorable bonding experiences. It's great hearing stories like that. You sound like a great dad.

Date: April 15, 2011 09:29PM

Absolutely! It was such a great and meaningful experience! I'm still on a high from it...it's great to know we can talk about things and we both get really excited about it. Plus it feels so good to tell my son "I don't know" or "if I say something that confuses you then ask about it". And he tells me he feels like he could talk to me about anything...

It's great to be a dad!

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: April 15, 2011 09:31PM

You had the perfect opportunity to teach your son about the greatest deity of all.

Raptor Jesus. Me!

If you don't teach them young, they may never understand how cool I am, and how much candy I'm going to give out in the afterlife.

These kids don't grow up brainwashed knowing the truth about my glory and then they start to think, "hey! Maybe god is a giant flying spaghetti monster." And they join the great and abominable whore church of the earth who's cup runneth over with fornication but laced with Super Herpes.

Date: April 15, 2011 09:34PM

Lol! Damn!! I screwed up! I knew it was too good to be true!

But you will forgive me won't you lord raptor?
;)

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: April 15, 2011 09:36PM

Posted by: Irfan Arif ( )
Date: April 30, 2011 03:03AM

hi sire plz help me my chruch

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.