Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: January 02, 2023 11:48PM

I wonder if anyone has seen the long running documentary series on Britbox entitled Up. It is an interesting series that began in 1967 when the maker interviewed about ten 7 year old children from diverse social and economic backgrounds in England. He asked them simple questions about their lives and how they expected it to unfold.

Every seven years from those beginning interviews he meets them again to see how their lives have progressed and turned out. Britbox recently added Up 63 (the age they are now)and it is fascinating to see where they are now as they approach retirement. It is a most fascinating series to see

them age from seven to 63 and it is compelling enough for me to look at my own life in a different way. Seeing lives followed in seven year increments some how re-enforces how short it really is and how easily we can lose our dreams in the actual day to day living of it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: January 03, 2023 12:45AM

I’ve seen it Kentish. I think the first episode was filmed in 1964 though. I saw one or two episodes on PBS over the years, and borrowed the DVD set from my local library some years ago. I got Britbox recently and have just rewatched the whole thing.

It definitely is a fascinating series. In spite of the obvious differences in the life circumstances of the various children, I saw a lot of commonality in them in terms of the emotional steps and missteps we all go through as we grow from child to adult.

Even though I grew up in a very different culture in Canada, I found the series quite relatable. I’m 3 years older than Up children, so perhaps that’s why I find it relatable, but I also think the experience of growing up to some extent transcends class, culture and nationality.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: January 03, 2023 10:46AM

I think you are right about 1964. Not sure if they will do an Up 70 as the creator of the series has died. Perhaps someone else will take it up. I agree with your assessment.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 03, 2023 10:55AM

That is an interesting way to think of your own life.

What was I doing at 7? What was I doing at 14? 21? . . . 28, 35. 35 was life changing.

When I look at my life that way I get memories I haven't had in forever. A lot of them I don't want, but, whatever . . .

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 03, 2023 03:00PM

> A lot of them I don't want. . .

Yep!

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: January 03, 2023 12:25PM

That is exactly the way you tend to think as you watch their lives unfold. Some fulfill their dreams, some change their dreams, and some face challenges and tragedy along the way. Some have lives that turn out better than they ever dreamed but in ways they never anticipated. All, it seems to me, reflect at 63 that life, even with its ups and downs, is worth the living and that the human spirit is an amazing thing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.