Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: April 15, 2011 09:22PM

I had a nice therapy session today where I relayed the information about me coming out of the exmo closet with my parents and the battle that ensued.

I was telling him about the ground we covered about the history etc, and my therapist says, "Yeah, there's nothing that proves that Mormonism is correct whatsoever is there?"

I let him talk for a minute and it turned out after some of our conversations, he did the research on Mormonism and the claims about the dirty, filthy, lazy, good for nothing but dying Lamanites and the actual Native Americans and that they are not the same whatsoever.

He read about the Book of Abraham and a lot of other stuff too about Mormonism.

He thought it was fun to look up and see how ZERO claims that Mormonism had have been vindicated.

I thought that I would share that with you.

Also, I gave a shout out to RfM. My therapist was happy to have this website as a resource because he often sees Mormon parents who are pissed off at their children who don't believe and drag their kids into therapy thinking that the therapist will tell the kids to go to church with their parents and believe in their stupid church.

Haha!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: glad2bout ( )
Date: April 15, 2011 09:39PM

Mormon parents sending their children to therapy, because the kids don't want to go to church? Now, that is truly sick.

Glad2B Out

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: April 15, 2011 09:53PM

glad2bout Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mormon parents sending their children to therapy,
> because the kids don't want to go to church? Now,
> that is truly sick.
>

Worse. Utah parents sending kids to a psychiatrist or to a psychiatric unit, the kids labeled as unmanageable primarily because they refused to attend church or serve missions--AND the psychiatrist colluded with the parents and admitted the kids and drugged them. I was told this personally by someone who worked in one of the psych units a number of years ago. I hope that is not still happening but it has happened.

Posted by: glad2bout ( )
Date: April 15, 2011 10:03PM

robertb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Worse. Utah parents sending kids to a psychiatrist
> or to a psychiatric unit, the kids labeled as
> unmanageable primarily because they refused to
> attend church or serve missions--AND the
> psychiatrist colluded with the parents and
> admitted the kids and drugged them. I was told
> this personally by someone who worked in one of
> the psych units a number of years ago. I hope that
> is not still happening but it has happened.

Free agency, be damned!

This manner of collusion is abusive on so many levels. Like you, I hope that practice has stopped. Is it any wonder Utah is a leader the nation in the consumption of psychotropic meds and suicides?!

Glad2B Out

Posted by: deb ( )
Date: April 16, 2011 01:03AM

Send a child &/or adolescent to psych. b/c they don't wish to go. gee, what teen or pre-teen has seen @ least a few sundays, or wed. nights in which they wished not to have to go. But you went anyway. You weren't sent to a professional b/c of it. I thought that was/is normal behavior.

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: April 16, 2011 01:03AM

I thought therapists were supposed to be neutral on religion. Even an LDS therapist should be professional enough to keep religion out of the sessions unless a client okays that, right?

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: April 15, 2011 10:05PM

I met my therapist at LDS social services, but now I see him at his own office. He won't tell me either way, but I think he's exmo. Even when I saw him at LDS SS, religion never became a part of the discussion on his part. I'm sure he has his own reasons for not saying either way, so I don't press the issue. I think he's intent on not validating my feelings in any way on that subject. His role is to allow me to sort out my own feelings.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: April 15, 2011 10:25PM

When I was fourteen my father took me to a shrink, because I had to be crazy not to believe in the godspell. Well, the psychiatrist told my father that he could never control what I believed, and my father set his jaw. "I am with the Lord in this matter," he told the shrink. "And I will not budge."

When we left, the doctor said to me,"I am sorry for you."

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: April 16, 2011 12:34AM

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: April 16, 2011 12:54AM

Don, did you continue with that psychiatrist, or did your father haul you around trying to find a doctor that agreed with him?

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: April 16, 2011 01:00AM

I was to have a meeting with him and the school counselor. The asshole had been beating on the kid. When the step-dad walked into the office, he had a smug grin on his face and I wanted so badly to hit him in the face I had to get up and leave. Fortunately, I wasn't really needed and had already talked with CPS about having the boy removed, which he was. The boy got better but to this day I still want to smash that guy in the face.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.