Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: January 10, 2023 08:52AM

One of the biggest changes I just read was "servicemen's group" is now "service member group".

They finally accepted fact that having a penis isn't a requirement to be in the service?!?! Way to go 1980's council of "wise" men on moving with reality.

The biggest one that I have to add is Patriarch of the Church or The Bishopric of The Church. I'm old enough to remember when we had quorum of the stake seventies, (their position was mostly stake missionary work). Now it's Boy Scouts, Roadshows, etc...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2023 08:57AM by dydimus.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 10, 2023 09:38AM

Isn't tithing settlement niw tithing declaration?

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: January 10, 2023 09:55AM

anything to do with punishing members has been given a much softer tone...no court, excommunication, disfellowship, etc. It is now all mealy mouth stuff. Gag

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 10, 2023 03:16PM

As far as I know, all those terms are still in use. I don’t think they hold as many church courts as they used to, and of course characterizing it as a “court of love” is pure Orwell.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: January 10, 2023 05:59PM

According to that list in the link provided, Bishop's court is to be referred to as "ward membership council".

Disfellowship is now called "formal membership restriction". It still admonishes the sinner to keep paying tithing, though!

Excommunication is now called "withdrawal of membership"

I'm sticking by my "mealy mouth" descriptions.YMMV :)

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: January 10, 2023 04:30PM

Good grief... "Faith in God," is no longer used?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 10, 2023 05:43PM

Was just told the Family History Center is now the Family Search Center.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 10, 2023 07:38PM

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 10, 2023 07:46PM

I think Faith in God and Duty to God were additional goals and achievements set by the church for Boy Scouts. I recall earning one of those monstrosity brass arches that dangled under the left pocket. It was so bulky weighing an exaggerated half ton that the pin damaged my uniform from the two pin holes. My mom bought a new uniform and I refused to wear the medal, much to the chagrin of the leaders.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2023 07:47PM by messygoop.

Date: January 10, 2023 07:48PM

The most obvious term was omitted from the list.

-Mormon

Date: January 10, 2023 07:51PM

It's painfully apparent that there's very few explanations of what these terms mean. The casual member doesn't even realize that the church continues to shape their world of existence.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: January 10, 2023 07:51PM

Now that I think about it, this is just busy work. Keep changing names gives the faithful the idea that important work is going on, and serious decisions are being made. It's little more than rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: January 11, 2023 06:20PM

A nevermo view: another rebranding effort that will likely have little or no effect.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: January 12, 2023 08:20AM

Honesty (LDS Philanthropies)

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: January 12, 2023 01:13PM

The names of the family wards where I grew up have all changed. They were formerly identified by the name of the town, and if there were two or more in the town, one would be the 1st ward and the other would be the 2nd ward.

I guess people in the 2nd ward felt like they were second best so the ward instead is named after a street or lake or something. No more first or second wards, and no more naming the ward after the city it's in.

I wonder if it's a church-wide change?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.