Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Onanymous ( )
Date: January 23, 2023 08:05PM

The First Presidency has announced that the Anchorage Alaska Temple will be rebuilt where the adjoining meetinghouse is located, making the temple the prominent building on site. The existing 11,930-square-foot temple will remain open during the construction of the new 30,000-square-foot facility. Once completed, the former temple will be decommissioned and replaced by a new meetinghouse.

Construction is expected to begin in early 2024 and be completed by the summer of 2026. The temple will have two instruction rooms with 40 seats each.

https://churchofjesuschristtemples.org/anchorage-alaska-temple/photographs/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: January 23, 2023 09:15PM

If you built it they will tithe..

Posted by: Onanymous ( )
Date: January 24, 2023 01:09AM

Maybe this is the start of a new trend, as they run out of places to announce new temples they'll start knocking down and rebuilding some of the cheezier old ones, like the uniform mini temples of the Hinckley era ('80s-'00s) and rebuild them on more robust lines. This'd also give member interest and publicity a needed jolt as some of these temples have been neglected.

Anchorage was one of the prototype mini McTemples under Hinckley that started in 1998 with Monticello. There was a previous era of cheap, cookie cutter temple building in the '80s (Denver, Atlanta, etc.) and I wouldn't be surprised if some of these start coming down and being rebuilt

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 24, 2023 09:53AM

It's not very visible from the highway.

https://www.google.com/maps/@61.101856,-149.8431042,3a,51.4y,41.96h,97.05t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sECrwjAGMHN95OhpUUqWwCw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Someone screwed up with that beacon on a hill philosophy.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: January 24, 2023 01:17PM

and redoing it rather than building a new one. My daughter is up there half the year and if it isn't open, she won't be able to go.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.