Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: February 04, 2023 07:10PM

So, this is really off-topic, but there are so many people who know so many things...

I just received a check from the IRS (out of the blue). In the memo is "tax refund 2017." My wife passed away in 2017. It's made out like this:

GORDON B STINKY
GORDON B & JANE D DECD STINKY

The envelope says "If recipient deceased check here and drop in mailbox."

The IRS knows that my wife is deceased (you indicate it on the last tax return--we filed jointly). They seem to even indicate it on the second "pay to" line (DECS). So, why include her name at all? Or why send it, since they know she's deceased? Why not send it to me alone?

My wife's financial affairs were settled back in 2017. I can't just cash a check that's made out to her. But this one is made out to both of us. And also to just me. ?? (first line, me; second line both of us).

Can I cash this check? Or do I need to send it back?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: February 04, 2023 07:34PM

I have no idea, but was there a person (you probably) who is the legal executive of her estate who was signing stuff on her behalf when she died?

Somehow I think it is intended just for you to sign since it says DECD by her name. Maybe your bank has a procedure for this. Good luck. You can always ask the IRS and maybe you'll get a reply after your own demise! Sounds like it's maybe a question for official legal experts.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 04, 2023 07:54PM

Yeah, I would ask a bank officer. I'm sure they've seen situations like that before.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 04, 2023 07:55PM

Or an accountant or even the IRS helpline.

Date: February 05, 2023 02:27PM

> I have no idea, but was there a person (you
> probably) who is the legal executive of her estate
> who was signing stuff on her behalf when she
> died?

Yes, it's all done and finished. I don't want to have to re-open the estate, and won't (the check is only $1100).

> Somehow I think it is intended just for you to
> sign since it says DECD by her name. Maybe your
> bank has a procedure for this. Good luck.

Yes, I hope that's the case.

> You can
> always ask the IRS and maybe you'll get a reply
> after your own demise!

Haha! Yeah. It's taken them 5 years to get it to me. So, if I have to send it back, there's no telling how long...

And, I say it's "only" $1100, but it might as well be in my own pocket. I just suspect that re-opening the estate to take care of the money would cost more than the money is worth, or at least more trouble than it's worth.

Date: February 05, 2023 06:04PM

Exactly. It's not worth making a small problem into a big problem. Good luck!

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: February 04, 2023 08:00PM

I would take it to the bank on Monday and try to cash it. If they accept it, there is no problem. If they don't, then ask them what the proper way to handle it is.

Likely the reason that it includes both yours and your late wife's names is because you filed jointly, and the IRS automatically makes the check out in the names of the filers.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 05, 2023 12:29AM

Sign:
Gordon B. Stinky
Gordon B. stinky for Jane D.Stinky (Deceased)

But run that by a bank supervisor before actually signing it. You don't want to be handling, or returning, a check that's been endorsed, even if endorsed incorrectly.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 05, 2023 01:11AM

Take it to Walmart.  The people at the service desk will bend backward to cash it so they can charge you their service fee.*

*I'm kidding, but who knows!!!

Date: February 05, 2023 02:22PM

Thanks, everyone. I think I'll just take it to the credit union and ask if it's ok to just deposit it.

I assume it is. I mean, why send a check that you know will have to be returned? They know my wife is deceased, right?

But better to ask though, just in case.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: February 05, 2023 08:30PM

I assume you had "power of attorney" for your wife's estate, it shouldn't be a problem cashing/depositing the check.

What would you do if a bill came in for something your wife bought, you'd pay the bill right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2023 08:31PM by tumwater.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: February 05, 2023 10:38PM

Legally, It's you. they're just recognizing that you filed jointly. Just like an LLC or any other organization. They're paying a UNIT/GROUP a refund.

But my concern is that it's for so many years ago. The IRS usually only goes back 3 years; but they were so short handed for so long, think of it as a windfall.

Yes, it's yours. They're just making sure that you the recipient is not deceased. It's not a matter of power of attorney or anything so complicated. Cash it as soon as possible. If you keep it too long banks may hold it because of date issued.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 06, 2023 12:21AM

Date: February 06, 2023 12:34AM

It's almost like the Dems want to finance the government without imposing the burden on our descendants through borrowing.

The silly jokers have yet to discover what the GOP has known for over a decade: that national glory stems letting the rich avoid taxes by ruining future generations.

Date: February 06, 2023 03:51AM

"'Later' is a remarkable device for postponing 'now'. Some political idealists believe 'now' may in theory be put off forever!!"

--Judic West, temporal forensic accountant to the rich and famous

Date: February 06, 2023 04:01AM

"Sometimes 'political idealism' boils down to 'what I want to do.'"

--Judy Q. West, sister of Judic and fourth child of parents who lacked nominal creativity

Date: February 06, 2023 04:38AM

"Mom always liked you best."

--Anonymous

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: February 06, 2023 09:14AM

Take a copy of your wife's death certificate with you. Shouldn't be a problem if you do.

HH =)

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 06, 2023 04:35PM

This is not a serious reply in any way.

But a good financial entrepreneur from Utah told me to join a special group where they can cash checks in a secret building. Apparently, it's done via proxy where the dead can transact financial matters while they are in some sort of spiritual prison.

Now here's the catch- you have to join this corporation and make some sort of donation. Apparently, it's some sort of tax shelter that masquerades itself as a church. Anyways, if you're a narcist and pathological liar then you'll pass the interviews with ease. You may even become of the leaders if you have a desire to cheat and scam folks.

Date: February 06, 2023 09:08PM

Haha! I think I'd rather reopen the estate! ;)

Date: February 06, 2023 09:11PM

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

Turns out that it was much ado about nothing.

I asked the teller, and she asked a manager, who said, "no problem." The fact that they (IRS) indicated that she was deceased means that they can't have expected her to endorse the check.

Anyway, I endorsed it and deposited it.

Date: February 06, 2023 09:17PM

Great! (Leave it to us to make a mountain out of a molehill!)

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: February 07, 2023 10:51AM

Somebody has to be the designated hand wringer.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.