Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: February 07, 2023 08:19PM

Per this tiktok video there are changes in LDS temples for baptisms for the dead.

https://www.tiktok.com/@radiofreemormon/video/7197557108852673838

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 07, 2023 09:15PM

Watch the growth of the church take off NOW!

Because this allows them to baptize EVERYBODY!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 08, 2023 12:29AM

Rusty's lighted pen must be getting a workout.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: February 08, 2023 12:47AM

Because not saying, “who is dead,” is so much more mainstream. Oh, wait! No one else baptizes the dead.

Date: February 08, 2023 02:12AM

1st Cor. 15:29 Otherwise, what do people mean by being baptized on behalf of the dead? If the dead are not raised at all, why are people baptized on their behalf?

“Baptism for the dead is mentioned in (1 Corinthians 15:29) as proof of a physical resurrection, though the exact meaning of the phrase is an open question among scholars. The plainest reading of the Greek text suggests vicarious baptisms performed by the living on behalf of the deceased, but some scholars dispute whether Paul approved of the practice or whether the verse truly refers to an actual physical practice among early Christians.

Early heresiologists Epiphanius of Salamis (Panarion 28) and Chrysostom (Homilies 40) attributed the practice respectively to the Cerinthians and to the Marcionites, whom they identified as heretical "Gnostic" groups, while Ambrosiaster and Tertullian affirmed that the practice was legitimate and found among the New Testament Christians (though Tertullian later recanted his original beliefs in his later life as he became associated with Montanism).[2]

The practice was forbidden by the Councils of Carthage in the last decade of the fourth century AD, and is therefore not practiced in modern mainstream Christianity, whether Oriental Orthodox, Eastern Orthodox, Roman Catholic, or any traditional Protestant churches.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baptism_for_the_dead

I never knew that some of the early churches had to be told to stop doing dead dunking!

I wonder what the argument against it was? Certainly no dead person complained . . .

Posted by: Notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: February 08, 2023 09:56AM

Is an outward sign of an inward condition, (that someone has become a believer. The Bible teaches that conversion is to take place now, not after death.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 09, 2023 04:54PM

That's incorrect, for the Bible clearly acknowledges baptism of the dead as a current and justified practice.

Unless, that is, you acknowledge that the Bible is full of contradictions and then insist, without biblical authority, that only one of the incompatible propositions is valid--in which case you are putting your judgment above the words of the Bible.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: February 08, 2023 01:45PM

Perhaps I should have just said that I didn't know of any non-Mormon churches that practice it.

Because apparently I was mistaken.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baptism_for_the_dead

That wikipedia page says that baptism for the dead is not practiced in modern mainstream Christianity, but does indicate a couple of churches that do practice it (which apparently are not "mainstream," however they've defined it).

Anyway, don't quote me. I'm not a theologian. ;)

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: February 08, 2023 01:06AM

So now it has been figured out that God knows all. But did not God provide the baptisimal prayer through his prophets?

So did God have a bad day, was he thinking about the soon to come in around a century "All my Children" to ease his boredom.

And then after who knows how many baptisms, God suddenly slaps his forehead and goes, doh! I forgot to bring that up. Like telling the kid to touch the stove, who then burns themselves, and he pauses and says. "O by the way, its hot and will burn you."

This perfect all knowing, never making mistakes ever type God, is really confusing me.

And of course we will not get into the wait to the end of times to get things straight, when it was much more effective, if you started at the beginning. But God has his reasons, but nobody has a clue what they are, not even those darned inspired prophets.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: February 08, 2023 02:19AM

When Russ said the restoration is an ongoing process, that’s just a clever way of saying he can change anything. He’s doing well for his age but most people over 85 lose a lot mentally. Reasoning seems to go.

There really isn’t any strategic thinking here. Russ seems to be making changes according to his own preferences. He’s a Jesus freak. So let’s smother everything with Jesus. The temple changes are probably his own doing. I hate these hats. I hate tying that dumb string. Who needs a witness couple when all the other characters are in the movie? God knows these people are dead. Let’s change the prayer.

I wouldn’t be surprised in 20 years the temple experience will be way different. Maybe the odd temple clothes will disappear all together. Maybe even garments will go away. I really don’t think most modern Mormons like these things anyways.

The experience will become less Masonic and maybe just become a movie theater where you watch random movies on Jesus Christ and then some covenants we agree to live as Christ did. I can see it going there. Maybe instead of garments there will be temple jewelry you can wear. Lot’s of stuff you could do but it has to be done slowly not to freak out the older members.

Date: February 08, 2023 08:59AM

Per tik tok there have also been changes made to the endowment ceremony.

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRGbECQF/

Date: February 08, 2023 09:04AM

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRGgAA8o/

Mormonism is even further watered down.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 08, 2023 03:01PM

Has the church figured out how to pay tithing via proxy?

Getting your dead ancestors a temple recommend will be the next revelation coming from Rusty's lighted pen.

Date: February 08, 2023 03:48PM

Posted by: I ( )
Date: February 09, 2023 04:15AM

The DEAD will now baptize the living...
Who would rather be dead than Mormon

Posted by: blackcoatsdaughter ( )
Date: February 09, 2023 08:56AM

The reasons given for the change are so silly. Like, I thought that was the point of the entire ceremony itself? Yes, god is aware of everything, including the hearts and minds of both the dead and the living. So, based on that logic, you should be able to say at the gated country club in the hereafter "yeah, I believe and follow" and be let in.

The reason why they perform any of the rituals at all is because of Mormon heaven bureaucracy; the keys are needed to stamp, sign, and seal everything. That's why they'll redo prayers too to get the wording right, because otherwise the eternal contract is void if you misspelled the spell.

"On behalf of so and so who is dead" is not said to inform god of their status, just the same way any contract legalese isn't informing the parties of what they already know. It is defining the terms and parameters of the contract. So, they look stupid and open a whole vault of questions "what are we even doing this and this and this for??" based on what god does and doesn't already know. They really are incompetent infants and not even good storytellers to come up with a better reason for why it was altered.

Date: February 09, 2023 04:39PM

Only time will tell if those changes will increase the temple attendance. My guess is that more LDS women will return to the work force with the grocery prices rising. Again I have no clue I have not been inside an LDS temple in 10 years. I kind of liked Michael Ballam as the Satan in the temple movie.

Date: February 09, 2023 06:23PM

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 09, 2023 07:16PM

That's pretty funny!

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: February 09, 2023 07:30PM

If Jesus died for our sins how come he couldn't have just been baptised for all humankind as well?

Maybe Rusty's last restoration will be him baptising Wendy for and on behalf of humankind living, dead any yet to be born.

Then missionaries can just ask people to accept that baptism rather than need "friends" to be baptized.

Likewise they can claim billions of members!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.