Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 13, 2023 10:45AM

I think it's going to end up like that prison full of lifers with no parole who had been telling the same jokes for so so long they just numbered them. Someone would yell out "38" and they would all laugh hysterically, slap their knees, and yell "Good one!" Then the new guy yells out "Number 17!" and they all groan and complain some people just can't tell a joke.

I think this system would work well for Church meetings. Yea, even Conference. Because the thing is with Mormonism--- it only works if you are already in on the joke.

At the very least, next Mormon funeral I attend, I would appreciate if instead of the Bishop or SP giving the Plan of Salvation they would must yell out "666" as they point their finger at various members of the congregation.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: February 13, 2023 10:55AM

Great line. "it only works if you are already in on the joke."

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: February 13, 2023 06:54PM

Posted by: OP ( )
Date: February 14, 2023 04:25PM

We Only See Ourselves - and don't care about each other, except in comparison to average people/ non-mormons/ "gentiles"/ gentlemen & women who don't buy the farm that LDS [lying dying sinkhole] feeds the world (a bunch of hogwash - similar to, but different than, the crap it feeds itself/ the [mislead] mormons [cogdis]).

It appears Average Mormons Aren't In On The Joke

... don't even see potential, possibilities, parameters...

Once someone thinks they've found "the truth" they usually stop searching... And lose touch with reality, science, art, history, (REAL) infinity/ "eternality"/ one another, their mission in life! To do something. To think! To love one another... Anyway (use your imagination)

Mormons, lost JUST LIKE in 'the Book of Morons', LOST. period

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 14, 2023 05:09PM

You make me consider there is no such thing as truth. Truth in fact, as you say, stops the search. And, the search is everything. The continuing non stop search that makes existence valuable.

Otherwise, when you have all the "truth" you also have complete stagnation. "Truth" seems to be a double edged sword and an enemy as well as a friend. Frenemies do keep you on your toes though don't they?

Perhaps that is why some claim the journey is more important than the destination.

My family is all about the destination.

Posted by: OP ( )
Date: February 14, 2023 05:20PM

All TRUE. what you said.

Your family and mine might get along.
I'm sure you and I would as well...

I agree that the (word) "truth" is a double edged sword. It is used against the LDS follower as well as against the world.

It's not just 'the "truth"' but the facts!

Mormonism gets it all wrong, on in purpose!

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: February 14, 2023 05:54PM

Done & Done Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Perhaps that is why some claim the journey is more
> important than the destination.

This resonates with me. As a kid I was always in such a rush to get to my family's little cabin in the woods every weekend (a 3-hr drive away from where we lived in the city) that I didn't take time to appreciate the scenery or little towns along the way. Plus I was 100% sure to get carsick so that occupied a lot of attention.

Besides, you never know if you'll make it to this destination or the next or the one after that. So you darn well for sure better take time to soak it all in along the way because when time's up it's up and there's no going back (that we know of anyway).

I appreciate every single trip, long or short, when our parents brought our attention to a point of interest or a historical site and took us on walks (which we didn't naturally gravitate to ourselves) showing us the varieties and types of blooms and trees and taking a moment, literally, many times over, to stop and smell the roses. My parents both loved roses and I can never pass one by without stopping to breathe in its scent.

When I was (unfortunately) tied up with the JWs they harked on (and on) about one of their favourite phrases: "keep your eyes on the prize". It is a line in one of their songs (they don't sing the usual church hymns) that's all about seeing amazingly wonderful things (like "the blind will see", the "deaf will hear", joy, peace and no sin). That's a good example of missing the forest for the trees because if I'd stayed on their literally narrow path I'd have missed a lot of wonderful times and amazing things, none of which have had anything to do with all the negatives they warn about 24/7 and everything to do with enjoying the journey along the pathway that life (or fate) has furnished, sprinkled nicely with my own choices.

Meanwhile, I'm laughing at your '666' suggestion. Sure enough if they used code like that in the temple it would cut down the sessions to a more manageable length. And would give people a few good laughs. That couldn't do anything except improve the temple experience. For sure.

Of course, they'd have to ditch their concept of lightmindedness being sinful because light minds laugh at jokes. And surely laughter would be bound to improve the temple experience for everybody.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2023 05:57PM by Nightingale.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.