Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon4This ( )
Date: February 04, 2023 01:11PM

Firefox just suggested this story:

https://apnews.com/article/tipping-fatigue-business-c4ae9d440610dae5e8ff4d4df0f88c35?utm_source=pocket-newtab

It struck a chord in me because it mentions a variety of things that I've also noticed lately.

Thoughts on tipping?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 04, 2023 01:25PM

Tipping has always been out of hand.

It started as a way to show gratitude for "extra special" service and has made it's way to "you better tip even if your waiter was awful and ignored you."

The article at the end says the onus should be on the business owners. But, BUT---Americans want everything cheap. The only way a business can compete is to cut costs with their staff. Because at a certain price point the customers are going to find the cheap somewhere else.

Cheap Americans are the problem. Food in restaurants should cost more to cover the wages. Every product everywhere should cover the wages. But business owners can't afford to operate that way.

But that will never happen. Americans are getting more and more cheap cheap cheap and selfish. And that is why China owns us furnishing us with all the cheap crap we want in our throw away society.

And, it's why Americans are so fat and now getting hooked on weight loss drugs in droves.

Americans!

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: February 06, 2023 10:05AM

Done,
You are exactly right. The wage for serves in SC is $2.13/hr, which is obscene. We always tip, regardless of the experience. If we don't like the food/service we don't go there again. My wife and I encourage all the servers (after we get to know them) to find another line of work, or go back to school. The lifestyle is great in your 20s but not in your 40s.

Date: February 06, 2023 10:29AM

I never go to restaurants anymore. I'd rather be home. The covid era and people in general have left me not wanting to be in a crowd and I've been disappointed so much by waiters in restaurants while sitting next to people on their phones.

When I did go out I always tipped even for bad service. I hate the system but it is what we have and its not going anywhere. I have had some awful waiters but I have never met a person who waited tables who didn't claim to have been wonderful.

I have even gone back to the table to tip the waiters because I had been taken to dinner by Australians and they tipped nothing when paying the bill. I know they didn't tip down under, but, they never had the class to accept that "When in Rome . . . "

The other night my flight was really really late and at one in the morning the Valet for my car was running to get it while yelling "I got you" and cheerful and I gave him a handful of big bills. I am a sucker for that kind of treatment. I suddenly felt good again.

Date: February 06, 2023 10:58AM

We were in Sydney with local friends and we tried to tip. They said American's are so stupid when it comes to tipping, just pay your people a living wage. Can't disagree with that.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: February 04, 2023 05:00PM

Or alternatively they could halve the size of meals and the cost. Something we could probably benefit from.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 04, 2023 05:18PM

I remember when the standard tip was 10%. Then it went to 15%, 18%, and now it's 20%+. I generally pay 20%, but I refuse to go above that. And I don't tip for counter service.

I worked as a restaurant cook long ago, which is extremely hard work. I was at minimum wage or just above that. I used to resent that the waitstaff (waiting tables was never my talent in life) earned a lot more than we did with their tips. I support restaurants where tips are shared with the back of the house staff. And I also think that restaurants should pay their wait staff minimum wage.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: February 04, 2023 05:39PM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7zYuFfQwD6w

The truth behind cow tipping

Posted by: Caffiend nli ( )
Date: February 04, 2023 06:24PM

Cruises & tour excursions, home delivery, ride shares, large-party restaurant seating comes to mind.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: February 04, 2023 06:56PM

I don't mind tipping servers in restaurants for sit-down table service, but just about everything outside of that is ridiculous.

I don't think customers who walk up to the counter, place their order and retrieve their food should leave a tip. What's the tip for? However, I do sometimes leave a tip at non-fastfood restaurants for take out because of the effort it takes to pack and package the food.

I was recently at an expensive bakery. When my order was rung up I noticed that the clerk turned the touch screen, where customers could select the tip they chose to contribute (15%, 20% 30%), quickly towards her and then flipped it around to the customer. I noticed that I was charged more than the purchase price of the item I purchased and realized that the 30% tip option had been selected by the clerk when she turned the touchscreen towards her. I unselected it so that my $5 pastry wasn't $6.50. I wondered how many customers were unaware that they were paying a 30% tip for their bakery items. I should have reported the sneaky clerk.

Another thing that gets my goat is that the hairdresser who charges $100 for a haircut and $300 for a highlight wants a tip. In the old days, when a haircut cost 10 cents, a tip was offered because the haircut was so cheap. Those days are over.

Date: February 04, 2023 07:10PM

I would still report the bakery clerk to the owner or management. That is theft.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 04, 2023 07:32PM

Good point--although there's a good chance the management supports the theft.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: February 04, 2023 07:46PM

My nail gal is the best. I adore her.

Still, it irks me when she hands me the mobile card reader. I'm expected to sign with my fingernail and punch one of the tip choices, "15%, 20%, 25%". I'd like to make my own tip decision instead of being given the multiple choice test, with a score of "CHEAP, OK, ADEQUATE".

Posted by: blackcoatsdaughter ( )
Date: February 04, 2023 09:20PM

I support wait staff getting paid a living wage, just like everyone else in every other industry.

What I get frustrated with is the entitlement I hear from a lot of wait staff in these debates. They tell me "Just don't eat out if you can't afford to tip!" So...you want this to be a classist issue where poor or underprivileged people simply don't get to enjoy a sit down experience if they can't afford the meal AND the wages of those who serve them? Like, why? Why can't a tip be included in the price of the meal? The management literally wants to pressure patrons through guilt in order to pay an employee's wages. That feels toxic and abusive to both patrons and staff, honestly. Yet so many of them buy into it that this is the way it HAS to be, that they deserve that money directly from customers rather than putting it on the shoulders of their employers.

Often I hear the reasons for that is because they actually make so much more money than minimum wage and they don't want to give up a system that pays them really really well. Like, not realizing that if they were paid a living wage in the first place, they would have enough to live. The desire for the extra money feels exploitative to me, because a lot of times, I don't tip about good service but because of social pressure.

And to top it all off, there is seriously something wrong with the culture surrounding service industry jobs in the US. Period. Like, I worked as a cashier for several years and it was way before Karens became mainstreamed and the entitlement and abuse was awful back then. I can't imagine having a service job now, in the current climate. Did you see those videos of drive through workers getting almost abducted from the window by customers trying to pull them into their cars? I only saw one or two videos but apparently this is a thing that's happening now.

So...on the one hand, I empathize so much with anyone in the service industry having to deal with the demanding and abusive public. They deserve to get paid for such a hard job and we need to stop viewing these jobs as "SERVANT/TRASH" jobs. However, it feels like wait staff are admitting only wealthy people deserve to set foot in a Denny's or an Applebee's when they demand that the burden of their wages stay in the hands of customers rather than the people who employ them.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 04, 2023 09:42PM

I think the problem is that the owners and managers of restaurants have changed workers' expectations. The "contract" now is that the restaurants pay staff virtually nothing and "tips" have become compensation, which forces workers to pressure customers to pay up.

It's part of a broader problem in American society whereby workers have lost virtually all of their rights: fair wages, healthcare and other benefits, pensions. You can make a Milton Friedman argument, with which I largely agree, that society should provide a basic income and healthcare and then let capitalism rip. For capitalism is the system that generates wealth by driving efficiency. Friedman was the definition of "free market" and he realized that companies cannot effectively or efficiently provide social services like healthcare.

I like the idea because 1) it ensures that people have basic support, 2) companies can then hire and fire at will as their needs require, 3) poor people don't endanger everyone else because they haven't had their vaccinations, 4) the temptation to game the system by finding out how to get more government handouts diminishes sharply, and 5) the administrative apparatus of the federal government shrinks, saving both money and workers who could then work in the private sector. In one fell swoop you would eliminate almost all of the 40% of healthcare costs absorbed by administrating the Kafkaesque bureaucracy.

But that ain't going to happen. Which means that the country should pass laws requiring restaurants and other service providers to absorb the cost of their labor directly. That would make those providers manage their assets efficiently and it would take the burden off the customers who are now effectively paying the workers' wages, which is unfair to both the customers and the workers.

Tips are not supposed to be wages.

Date: February 05, 2023 01:24AM

I ate at a very nice restaurant in NYC that stated on its menu that the staff was paid a living wage, and no tipping was necessary. I liked that.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: February 05, 2023 02:15PM

In terms of restaurant wages, and who pays them, theoretically it would be an easy problem to fix: raise prices by 20% and increase wages by the same amount.

For example, instead of tipping $4 on a $20 meal, you pay $24 for the meal, and the restaurant pays the server more. I don't know how much more, but it would be simple enough problem to solve mathematically if you know what the food revenue is, and the number of hours the wait staff works.

Since it would be easy to fix, there must be compelling reasons why it hasn't. I can think of benefits for everyone with the current system:

- Customer determines how much the service is worth (to them).
- Server can be extra attentive, and earn better tips (i.e. a somewhat direct connection between performance and compensation).
- Owner shifts some financial risk to servers. For example, if there's an unusually slow night, the restaurateur isn't on the hook to pay servers much if there's no revenue coming in. (Of course, this is NOT a benefit to the servers, who have come to work).

Switching it up would mean customers pay "fully," even if service is poor. Servers can be less attentive, and they still get their pay, while the customer gets poor service.

That's probably a gross oversimplification, and I don't mean to advocate for either system. I'd be curious how the American system of tipping evolved in restaurants.

That said, In Europe, where tips-as-income is not the norm, I've had the misfortune of dealing with lousy service a number of times. Why not? They know they likely won't see me again. And they get their pay whether I'm happy or not.

Anyway, just some random thoughts.

Date: February 07, 2023 11:14AM

"Switching it up would mean customers pay "fully," even if service is poor. Servers can be less attentive, and they still get their pay, while the customer gets poor service."

Your assuming service automatically gets bad. From another view point, they are now compensated fairly. So if there is poor service, customers will not come back and everybody suffers. Poor performers will eventually be weeded out. I'm sure you can give me a one off story for every scenario but in general, I think most servers are conscientious and trying to do a good job.

We had a bar tender in Lisbon who pointed to a wine we liked and then told us what restaurants/bars he liked. (Where locals go) Also pointed out some tourist spots that he thought we would like. I left him a 10 Euro tip even though he was making a living wage.

Date: February 07, 2023 01:53PM

> Your assuming service automatically gets bad.

No. I said: IF service is poor. I didn't say service WILL get bad. I said servers CAN be less attentive.

It's armchair analysis on my part. Just spitballing reasons why people may like or dislike the current system.

Date: February 07, 2023 02:41PM

Sorry GSB, just giving my point of view.

Date: February 07, 2023 05:07PM

Ok, no worries!

Date: February 14, 2023 05:24AM

Tipping is not really a thing in Europe, and people still get good service. There are also tons of service jobs that never get tips.

As someone who cooked in a restaurant for a couple of years, I always strived to put out good meals, even though I was never tipped.

Also, I ate at a nice restaurant in NYC that has a no tipping policy. The menu states that they pay their servers a fair wage. The servers seemed happy, the prices were fair, and the meal was delicious. It can be done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2023 05:27AM by summer.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 04, 2023 11:16PM

Do we tip the traffic control people at highway construction sites? They stand out in the sun/rain/cold/heat/dust all day long, doing a job that if they mess up, could damage our vehicle and possible injure or kill us.

No tip for them.

How about flight attendants? On shorter flights they are on their feet for nearly the entire flight, and even on long flights they are busy for most of the flight.

No tip for them either.

Both are considered professionals, more or less, and tipping them would be like tipping the pilot. It would be insulting.

We tip people who were the servant class during the Victorian era. It shows that we remember the little people and are magnanimous toward them. By implication, it shows that we are not the little people, and are kind to our lessers, traits considered laudable in Victorian America.

Traffic control people at construction sites were not Victorian era servants. Shoe clerks in department stores were not Victorian era servants either. Victorian era servants were hairdressers, porters, doormen, coach drivers. That's who we tip.

I hear that some restaurants in SF and other expensive areas are doing away with wait staff altogether, and going to basically glorified counter service.

There was just an article yesterday in the NYTimes saying that the reason there is such a shortage of restaurant wait staff is that when the pandemic hit, they all found better jobs, and kind of like having regular hours, and paid vacation, and health insurance, and not having to deal with petulant, asinine customers, so they are not coming back to restaurant work. Screw the tips. It wasn't worth it.

So there's that.

Posted by: CopFiend ( )
Date: February 04, 2023 11:30PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do we tip the traffic control people at highway
> construction sites? They stand out in the
> sun/rain/cold/heat/dust all day long, doing a job
> that if they mess up, could damage our vehicle and
> possible injure or kill us.
>
> No tip for them.

I once wrote a syndicated cartoonist an idea for having a "detail cop" (flagman) directing traffic with a bucket on the pavement labeled, "Officer's Tips--Thank You!"

He wrote back and said because he has family in law enforcement, he never draws police in a negative way, but he liked my idea and wanted to adapt it.

He used it by having the patient wheeled into a surgery, where the masked medical crew standing around with their gear and machines. On the instrument tray was a cup, marked "Surgeon's tips--Thank You!"

Date: February 06, 2023 01:05PM

> Do we tip the traffic control people at highway
> construction sites?
>
> How about flight attendants?
>

Speaking of when and where to tip (and whom), here's a true tip related story:

Years ago ('98) my sister and I were trekking up I-95 in Florida, on our way home from Miami, and wound up stopping for the night near Saint Augustine. We decided at the last minute to try a Ghost Walk Tour of the old part of the city, because they're usually pretty fun and interesting.

We showed up at the appointed place, and were met by a lady who took our money and handed us tickets. When everyone had ponied up for their tickets, she launched into a little spiel, which included introducing our costumed tour guide, who -- clearly upon some cue from her -- made a dramatic entrance by emerging from a nearby doorway, flourishing his cape! After we had all introduced ourselves and where we're from, etc, she and the guide told us a little about themselves (including that they were married), and she finished her spiel by reminding us that "he *is* a professional actor, and he *does* accept tips," in a somewhat testy tone.

To be honest, that last admonition was a little offensive, but we quickly learned why tips were a problem for him (and why he clearly wasn't trodding the boards at some more august venue): a was a horrible actor, or at least a horrible tour guide. His "acting" was hammy at best, and his grip on the local history and ghost lore was dubious (one participant was a local, accompanying out of town guests, and she corrected the "guide" repeatedly, politely at first, but with growing irritation). We finished with probably half the participants, because people slowly peeled off along the way.

As an aside, my sister pointed out later that if the local hadn't been in the group, most folks would have been none the wiser, but that may not be entirely true, because many people love "haunted" sort of stuff, and will arrive already knowing all the stories, but just wanting to see the places, Regardless, she agreed that the "acting" (or entertainment component) was severely lacking.

His wife was at the rendezvous spot to meet us at the end, and after his final spiel, when the group started to disperse, I heard her lambast him: "nobody tipped?" And then in a louder voice, to the group at large, "not one of you tipped?"

One man actually turned around and yelled, "I have a tip for the guide: find a new line of work!"

I've been on many walking tours (from history to haunted). I love them. They tend to be both fun and informative. The guides are often in costume, sometimes lead the tours in character, but they also tend to be charismatic, entertaining, etc. Many areas even strictly regulate who can work as a tour guide. I don't mind tipping at the end of a great tour, but, sadly, this guy was none of those things. Tour guiding was clearly not his thing.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: February 05, 2023 12:50AM

Washington state has the highest minimum wage in the country, $15.74/hour.

This is for all employees, my question is it proper to tip the food servers. They are making a living wage. You don't tip the cashier at the grocery store or the clerk at the clothing store or at Home Depot.

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/state/minimum-wage/tipped

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2023 12:51AM by tumwater.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 05, 2023 01:08AM

I once got a tip of double my invoice amount.

They were grateful, and I was tickled pink.  I deserved it.  It meant a lot more than just words over the phone, or "great job on the popcorn warehouse file!" hastily uttered the next time I was in the office.

When I was a Las Vegas showroom busboy, in high school and summer vacations, one of the most exciting things to happen was having a guy stop me to ask if I could get him a pack of Camels.  I'd dart off, run through the kitchen to the cigarette machine in the employee dining room, put 35 cents in the cigarette machine, run back through the kitchen to my bus station, unwrap the pack, open, tap out a few ciggies, put it on a plate and humbly return with my presentation to the customer. I'd get one or two silver dollars, or the occasional five-dollar bill on the plate and I'd skip away, quite delighted with myself.

Remind me some day to tell you about Saturday nights and the cigarette girl . . .

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: February 05, 2023 06:17AM

I worked in a four star restaurant in my younger years. I have no problem with tipping. I appreciated people tipping me well when I did a good job serving them and getting tips motivates your servers to serve you well. I made good money and learned valuable people skills and it got me through college and on special occasions I will do flaming deserts after diner table side. The grandkids love it.

Also I know what is like to work for tips so I’m on the other side now. You serve me well, I tip well.

Date: February 14, 2023 05:33AM

As a former restaurant cook, my question is, did your servers share tips with the people who actually cooked the food? No? Because plenty of restaurants don't. Restaurant cooking is hard, hot, dirty, and sometimes dangerous work. I did it for roughly minimum wage. So honestly, I don't have a lot of sympathy for the servers.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: February 06, 2023 10:17AM

I used to wait tables when I was much younger. It was just after I finished two years in the Peace Corps. I was never so often so sick, so often!

Even when I worked at a busy restaurant, I didn't like the tipping system. It's true I made a lot of money, which helped me go to graduate school, but there was a lot of pressure to get people in and out of the restaurant, which was actually a pretty nice place. People used tips as a means of abusing the wait staff. The kiss of death was when someone told me that if I took care of them, they'd take care of me. I remember that Europeans were notoriously poor tippers because they didn't understand the US system.

I much prefer the way things are done in Europe. Dining out is a treat, so you never get rushed. The wait staff gets paid regardless, so while tips are definitely appreciated, they aren't expected or required. There's no pressure to add extras to meals, buy booze, or dessert. In some countries, tipping isn't really a thing at all. Italy comes to mind.

When you have to rely on your customers to pay you, instead of the people who hired you, it can give someone an "us vs. them" mindset, and it's all about the money, rather than the food or the experience. I later worked at a country club where tips weren't expected. It was a much less stressful experience for everyone.

Date: February 07, 2023 10:38AM

Europeans understand the US system perfectly well. They think it is extortion.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: February 07, 2023 02:51PM

They probably do now. This was years ago. And even if they think it’s extortion (and I wouldn’t necessarily disagree), the system in the US is such that not tipping is causing someone to work for free.

Incidentally, I have noticed that some people in Europe who work in the business would love tips added to their regular pay. We do give Trinkgeld, but not the way we would in the States.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2023 02:56PM by knotheadusc.

Posted by: tilt ( )
Date: February 06, 2023 01:40PM

I work once in a while doing a beer concession stand. Being retired I don't have to work. When I work it's usually because the company has a hard time getting help.

The pay is not enough to live on even if you're a 27 year old living in your parents' basement, and it's also not a constant gig. Therefore, the difficulty in getting workers.

There is a card on the register and on the tip cup that says "Tips. Never expected but always appreciated." I always thank the customer for purchasing the product, try to add a little humor to the transaction, and if they tip I try to thank them specifically for the tip. Hopefully both of us will have a little better of a day. But then, I am lucky enough to not have to worry that the extra cash from tips will be enough to cover the rent.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 06, 2023 10:46PM

Our minimum wage is $15/hr here in Alberta. I generally tip 15-20% at the one or two restaurants I frequent. I know the servers and they always provide good service. At an unfamiliar place, I tip commensurate with the quality of service and food I receive.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 07, 2023 10:25AM

It was either a morning or early afternoon, don't know, but daylight. I went into a strip joint in Boston's "Adult Entertainment District," nicknamed the Combat Zone. There wouldn't be any strip dancers at that hour, but so what?

I sat down and the bartender came right up and poured me a generous drink, probably Jack Daniels, a favorite of us pseudosophisticates. When I reached for my wallet, he waved off my money.

"On the house," he said.
"Thanks--what's this all about?"
"Oh, you don't remember? Last night you tipped me $100."

And no, I didn't remember.
That $100 would be worth a good $1000 today.
I fought the Battle of the Bottle. The Bottle won.

Posted by: Tipping truth ( )
Date: February 07, 2023 10:31AM

Restaurant managers are notorious for abusing minimum wage laws, especially in Utah, by having "extra duties" work assignments where they have tip-receiving employees match their tipped hours with backroom duties like dishwashing, janitorial, stocking, and other responsibilities at 2.13 per hour. If a restaurant doesn't have a "no tipping" policy then you are supporting this abuse.

Date: February 07, 2023 10:49AM

Luring people to want to tip you really a lot is an art. I know waiters who make great money. Some of them feel like Angels of Mercy when you've had a bad day. Some just don't have the talent. Then we have to decide if we want to be the Angel of Mercy in an effed-up system.

I know a waiter who rarely got good tips and if someone only left change he would follow them out and hand it back saying, "You forgot this". He was his own worst enemy.

I worked very low paying jobs as a kid and getting through school and the first few years after I graduated. I am so glad I did. I am so glad I have that past. I have no patience for the ones now that want to start at the top.

Every one and their mother wanting to be tipped these days is a sign of a deeper sickness in America than simply needing a little more cash.

Posted by: Arkay ( )
Date: February 07, 2023 11:12AM

Places I don't tip: Counter service restaurants, oil change places or anywhere that doesn't give any special service. Just the presence of the obnoxious tip screen is a reason not to tip.

Places I do: Table service restaurants, the better the service the bigger the tip. If the server is bored, not attentive or just bad, I still tip, just not as much.

Many years ago I visited the top of the Smith Tower in Seattle. The woman working there was super nice, she filled me in on a lot of history of the building and spent a lot of time doing so. I was quite happy to give her a very decent tip because she earned it. I will also tip tradespeople who go above and beyond.

Date: February 07, 2023 02:24PM

Other problems that have not been pointed out - tipping tends to be racist (Blacks in general get lower tips), ageist, sexist, servers are often sexually harassed, and drug dealers tend to hang out at restaurants near closing time because the staff is tired, stressed, need to unwind, it's late, and they have a large wad of cash in their pocket.

As long as the money comes directly from the customer, there is little corrective action either the employer or the government can take to fix the racism, ageism or sexism, and not a lot they can do about their workers being an attractive target for drug dealers, although paying them biweekly with a check, instead of having them walk out each night with cash would help.

Date: February 07, 2023 03:05PM

Another thought - some restaurants have instituted a no-tipping policy and some have tried and abandoned it. Customers, at least in the US, are very resistant to the idea. They seem to think tipping is the only way they get good service, yet there is no movement to tip at hospitals, airports, highway construction, or auto service garages, all places were good service is quite important, and not just a matter of convenience, as it is in a restaurant. How does one get good service in those places? Would Southwest be a better airline if you tipped?

Which means it is not really about service. It's about pretending you are a middle class person in the 19th century throwing some crumbs to a servant class person from the 19th century. It makes you feel magnanimous.

[And for the record, I do tip, generlly 20% in the US because it is easy to calculate in my head, and whatever the going rate is in foreign countries, which is always lower than the US rate. It's the system we've got. I just think it is an asinine and counter-productive system]

Everybody claims they tip for good service and less for poor service. Statistics do not bear this out. Tips are surprisingly uniform, though some people are better at being charming (or manipulative) than others, just like in the mission field.

BTW, I looked up the minimum wages for tipped employees per state.
https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/state/minimum-wage/tipped

It's interesting reading (well, for me, but I like numbers). The entire west coast does not have a 2-tiered minimum wage for tipped workers. Some have exceptions for small employers, and in general their minimum wage is about twice the federal minimum.
CA, OR, WA, MT, NV are all western states with a single, considerably higher than federal minimum wage.

AZ, NM, SD and CO do still have a 2-tiered wage system for employers of tipped workers, but it is higher than the federal wage ($13.70 approx, $10 in SD) and a much larger proportion of it must come from the employer.

The federal requirement for the employer is $2.13, plus, in theory, the employer has to make up the difference between $2.13 and the federal minimum wage of $7.25, if the tips do not reach that threshold.

So most of the intermountain and west coast states require a much higher pay scale for tipped workers than the federal minimums.

Guess which states don't pay above the federal minimum?
UT, WY, and ID. ID does boost the base amount the employer must pay. UT and WY simply use the federal minimum.

I was somewhat surprised at how many states have increased minimum wage for tipped workers over the fed minimum, including a fair number of the so-called "conservative" states, like Montana and South Dakota. But Utah takes being their "right to work for nothing" law seriously.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2023 03:07PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: Anon4This ( )
Date: February 07, 2023 03:20PM

I was hoping the discussion would be more focused on recent trends for tip requests to be increasingly conspicuous. But since most people want to talk about who pays servers, consider this:

The average restaurant has a profit margin of only 2 to 6 percent! In other words, 94 to 98 percent of their gross revenue is paid out in expenses. If servers expect the restaurateur to pay them something equivalent to the 20% tips, that puts their operating costs between 114 and 118 percent of their revenue.

Clearly, the service cost will have to be passed on to the customer, or the restaurant can't operate profitably, and goes broke.

Looking at it another way, and using an average profit margin of 4%, the restaurateur has to keep 5 servers busy in order to earn as much money as one server. Otherwise, they might as well just be a server themself, and earn the 20% (w/o investing capital, committing to no leases, not being bothered with staffing, ordering, etc).

The restaurateur takes all the risk, and has a profit margin 1/5 of what the servers take.

Date: February 08, 2023 01:24PM

So pass it on to the customer. That’s what other businesses do. They survive. Plenty of other countries without a tradition of tipping still have restaurants. I listed some of the states that require paying wait staff the exact same minimum wage as other workers. This includes most of the western US. They still have restaurants.

How can people keep claiming something is impossible, when not only is it possible, it is fairly common in much of the world? All you need is for the same rules to apply to all the restaurants in town, which is the whole purpose of minimum wage laws.

Date: February 14, 2023 05:41AM

Yes, pass it on to the customer. Unless tips are shared with the BoH positions, the owner is already paying at least minimum wage to the various cooks and dishwashers. Raise the prices a little, and pay everyone fairly. If anything, with the present system, most cooks are *not* paid fairly for their skill set.

I used to work as a cook for a couple of years, and it's the cooks who bear the brunt of the responsibility for the (thin) profitability margins. The chef and upper management were always on us for portion control, not wasting food, etc. And honestly, I would think twice about ordering the daily special, because that's normally the older food that they are trying not to throw out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2023 05:44AM by summer.

Date: February 14, 2023 04:24AM

Food for thought. I recently read an article about the general hostility in the hospitality industry these days, and it pointed out that:

hospital,
hospitality,
hospitable,
hospice,
host,
hostile
hostage

all come from the same root.

And neither the tippers nor the tippees are very happy these days, and a lot of tipped jobs are languishing unstaffed or understaffed these days.

Posted by: lol ( )
Date: February 14, 2023 04:35PM

Some people just don't like/ want to tip.

TIP

Just don't tiptoe
OR

Tip them over

And...
Always remember: you can't over tip!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 15, 2023 12:58AM

last week I was forced to choose a tip % when ordering, before I learned how good/ bad the service was; to me, that was extortion.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 15, 2023 01:09AM

What might have happened had you’d picked 0% … and then left a suitable tip after judging the food and service?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.