Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dr5 ( )
Date: October 03, 2011 06:45PM

He's the MTC director who unexpectedly resigned, and rumors abounded. Did he leave the church? Did the church leave him? Anyone know what he's doing these days?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: October 03, 2011 06:59PM

Wasn't he the choir director? I remember that dude. It would be awesome if he left. Good for him...

Posted by: lapsed ( )
Date: October 03, 2011 07:28PM

He teaches at Utah State University. Still a member. Rumor had it that when Monson took charge he wanted Craig to squeal on all of the gay guys in the men's section...which and insider told me is substantial. He refused to do it and resigned. That's just what the rumor mill was saying. He refuses to talk about it even with friends.

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: October 03, 2011 07:44PM

Many have long since left. They formed the core of the Salt Lake Mens Chorus. Man, can those guys sing!

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: October 28, 2016 02:01PM

Sorry to drag this back up, but there's a group here in my town which brings in Craig Jessop every year to guest conduct a concert (this year, they're combining with a children's chorus, whose director I teach with at the local university). I was surprised to see in their press release that Jessop is working at USU, since I hadn't heard about his resignation from the Tabernacle Choir 8 years ago. Does anyone know what actually happened? Is it true that the falling out was over a gay witch hunt (which, come on--it's a CHOIR. There's going to be lots of Teh Gay going on, overt or otherwise).

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: October 28, 2016 05:40PM

He's a distant relative of mine and he stepped down from mo tab to be the music head at USU. He took the spot that Michael Ballam had been running like 20 years or so. I don't think there was a fall out from the bretheren. Going to take on USU music dept was an advancement for his career. He likely got a pay raise. Ballam organised the Utah Festival Opera and the renovation of the Thatcher theater. He's done great work in building Cache valleys reputation for the arts as did Dr. Dalby before and Dr. Meteski back in the 70's, even before that. Both were Jews recruited to build Utah arts. Only Jews know how to really play the fiddle if you know what I mean.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: October 28, 2016 05:44PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2016 05:45PM by poopstone.

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: October 28, 2016 08:53PM

I know he's at USU (that was in the press release as well); but that doesn't make much sense as the only reason for such an abrupt depature--he skipped a rehearsal and a radio broadcast, then showed up to one last rehearsal only long enough to read a resignation letter, which suggests that this wasn't an amicable separation. I was just curious if anyone knew what really went on, but it sounds like no one does.

Posted by: Siobhannli ( )
Date: October 29, 2016 12:33PM

What a great Satan Michael Ballum is!

Posted by: anonynon ( )
Date: February 21, 2023 02:35PM

poopstone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Dalby
> before and Dr. Meteski back in the 70's, even
> before that. Both were Jews recruited to build
> Utah arts. Only Jews know how to really play the
> fiddle if you know what I mean.

I don't know what you mean, I suspect you're not talking about fiddler on the roof.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: October 28, 2016 02:21PM

Too bad about the gay witch hunts in choirs, but then it only confirms my position in the hetero life.

In middle school, when ever there would be programs organized for things like Christmas, Easter, etc., songs, voices would be assigned to various ones in class. When the music teacher came to me, they'd tell me just follow along and hum, don't try to sing.

Story of my life, can't sing and I sure don't have any rhythm to dance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2016 02:22PM by tumwater.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 28, 2016 11:24PM

Curious, I Goggled Bro. Jessop and found this SLTrib article:

http://archive.sltrib.com/story.php?ref=/ci_8472437

It does not sound like it was a calm, smooth transition for Bro. Jessop. Nope, not at all.

Posted by: Dutyandhonor ( )
Date: February 21, 2023 08:46AM

I’m confused as to exactly what or where Dr. Jessop is in February 2023. Headlines in various publications claim he was excommunicated from the LDS Church, but I can not find a reason for this harsh action by the Church.
My very best regards and a heartfelt thank you to any or all who can steer me in the right direction or share their knowledge as to what has taken place in Utah!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 21, 2023 11:16AM

Dr. Jessup stepped down from the role of dean at USU in 2018 to take a sabbatical. He returned in the fall of 2020 to teach and to direct a part of the Master's program. I don't think that stepping down as dean is at all unusual. I remember that, as an undergraduate, none of the professors wanted to be dean of my department, so they took turns at it. I think that being dean is more university politics than many professors want to deal with.

Dr. Jessup is now 73 or 74 years old, so my guess is that he is most likely in the final stages of his career. When he resigned from the Tabernacle Choir, he mentioned his love of teaching. That seems to be a running theme with him. It could be a combination of reasons for why he stepped down as director of the TC. Monson was the newly elevated president of the church at the time, and it could be that Monson (or someone else in the 1st Presidency) had something different in mind as to the direction that he wanted the choir to go. That, combined with the attractive offer from USU, may have made it seem like the right time to make the jump. Everyone who works for the choir, or sings with the choir, needs a Temple Recommend anyway, so I can't see Monson concerning himself any further than that. And Jessup was likewise there to do a job, so I'm sure he kept his focus on that, and not on the choir members' private lives.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2023 11:30AM by summer.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 21, 2023 10:46AM

2018: https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/08/22/utah-state-dean-whose/

2022: https://cca.usu.edu/music/directory/jessop-craig

Edited to add: I found nothing on him being excommunicated. In a citation purported to be about his excommunication, the word “excommunicated” is the first word of the next paragraph following an arucle about him, but it’s just the column head for an article about another person.

https://sunstone.org/wp-content/uploads/sbi/articles/150-74-79.pdf

It’s at the very end . . .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2023 10:55AM by elderolddog.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.