Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dimmesdale ( )
Date: February 10, 2023 11:55AM

OK, I'm drinking a little coffee once in a while...actually hearing that it's beneficial for health. It fills me up in the morning and helps me eat less and avoid sugar.

And it makes me laugh inside at all the dire warnings about coffee that I've heard all my life---

COMING FROM THE SUGAR CAPITAL OF THE WORLD.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 10, 2023 01:23PM

dimmesdale Wrote:
------------------------
>
> COMING FROM THE SUGAR
> CAPITAL OF THE WORLD.
>

Havana?

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: February 10, 2023 01:26PM

and I looked up what helps with liver functions and it said 3 cups of coffee a day. I haven't had my next set of liver function tests. That is in a few weeks. I have a pretty good idea of what is causing them.

I need to change doctors and I hate doing it, but I'll say something on this board if the tests have improved.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: February 10, 2023 02:01PM

I drink at least three cups of coffee a day. Comes with working early shift.

And, brewed right, it benefits the taste buds as well as the rest of the body. Though I still think tea is better for relaxing. Maybe it's the tannins in the leaves, maybe it's due to tea leaves having less caffeine, maybe it's just a placebo effect.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: February 10, 2023 02:26PM

Tea is better for everything!

I have never enjoyed coffee. Can't stand the taste of it.

Strangely, I found at some point that I could drink it with liquor in it and that I enjoy very much, although it's a rare treat because wine is so simple - just open the bottle and pour - no brewing or mixing to do. :)

I got a lot of points as a Mormon "convert" for not drinking coffee. I laughed to myself because I wasn't doing so before I ever met a Mormon but hey, I took the unearned approval.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: February 10, 2023 03:18PM

I'm embarrassed I forgot the flavor as another reason for tea's relaxing properties. Loose leaf Earl Grey or Lady Grey with a splash of milk is a cup of instant calm for me. Oolong, green and white tea are better straight up, though. Plus, I've heard white tea is supposed to be good for your skin.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: February 11, 2023 05:22AM

I had to quit coffee years ago because of the acid but have been drinking tea since. Your description of wine is perfect.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: February 10, 2023 03:12PM

One Friday morning many years ago, I was at the corner market getting my usual hot chocolate to sip on during the 45 drive to work. I was also quite miffed because I had to leave work early go get home to take the scout troop on an overnight camp-out. So, to justify my miff, I filled the cup half full of hot chocolate the the other half with coffee. Yeah, I was sporting a full-on miff.

OMG, that was my first encounter with the evil brew and it was delicious to the taste. From then on, it was a mixture that gradually traded hot chocolate for creamer.

Also, for me at least, coffee acts as an appetite suppressor. If I'm hungry and not wanting to eat yet, I will have a delightful cup of coffee with a dash of Hazelnut creamer. The hunger craving goes away for a while.

Date: February 10, 2023 03:20PM

> Also, for me at least, coffee
> acts as an appetite suppressor.
> If I'm hungry and not wanting
> to eat yet, I will have a
> delightful cup of coffee

OMG!  I used to do that, with doughnuts!  Worked like a charm.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 12, 2023 11:52PM

That's why you are such a svelte Most Interesting Man in the World.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 28, 2023 10:00AM

(blush)

What's a miff?

Date: March 02, 2023 06:47PM

miffed   /mift/

adjective  INFORMAL

somewhat annoyed; peeved.

"she turned around, looking slightly miffed"
"When she spanked him, he was left with a hit and a miff."

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: February 10, 2023 03:57PM

I drink my coffee like this 50% coffee 25% milk 25% coffee creamer. Oh I love it. I called it my "devils brew".

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 10, 2023 10:23PM

Date: February 11, 2023 03:12AM

+1

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 10, 2023 03:58PM

You know that joke about the super religious guy drowning in the ocean and two different boats offered to pull him out but he kept saying, "No. God will save me." Drowned and in Heaven he asks God why he didn't save him and God said, "What do you think those two boats were?"

I think the same is true of coffee. Mormon's going to be asking God why he didn't give them at least one thing to count on to make each day better and God face palms.

Date: February 10, 2023 04:00PM

That's good, D&D.

Date: February 10, 2023 04:22PM

I remain astonished at the cavalier manner in which the mormon church moved the WoW from a suggestion to a commandment, with the trivial nature of these 'suggestions' having such eternal ramifications.

Hitler, Stalin, Vlad the Impaler, Empress Catherine of Russia; they're all shoe-ins for the Celestial Kingdom, but the guy down the street, born into the church but who 'noped' out a few years ago, is going to have a very hard row to hoe to even get close to the CK ... because of his WoW violations!

I know I harp on it a lot, but it's accurate: unlike Plural Marriage, no ghawd-inspired precise, clean, directed, and enforced moment can be pointed to regarding a change in the WoW's status.

Thank goodness facts are neither required nor essential in the church!

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: February 11, 2023 10:37AM

I love coffee with a little 1/2 & 1/2 and some sugar mixed in it.

The brands that are Pumpkin spiced flavor are a favorite.

I also like tea; especially the Earl Grey. Wasn't there an Earl Grey or some other tea that had Lavender flavor in it? That was so delicious!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 12, 2023 03:39PM

I drink it once in a while. Just black with a sugar substitute.

Posted by: OP ( )
Date: February 12, 2023 05:11PM

How do you like your coffee?

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 13, 2023 01:39AM

Coffee is the best reason to wake up in the morning. It's the first thing I fix when getting breakfast. My good LDS wife says it's because I'm "addicted." I mean, she's heard this all her life, right? People only drink coffee because they're "addicted." I have a tiny thermos that I use as a measure. Then I put my sweetener and half 'n' half in it, and put a pour-over filter on top with two measures of my coffee (Gevalia or, believe it or not, IKEA). When all brewed, I sit and read the press whilst pouring it into a cup and drinking it. Boom. That's it. One tiny thermos full, drunk slowly out of tiny cups. None for the rest of the day. So I'm addicted. Right.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: February 13, 2023 06:16PM

there is a ritual to it. Shake the truvia to get it to the bottom of the packet, dump in, add boiling water to within two inches of top of my contigo, two spoons of Folger's crystals, top off with chocolate Almond breeze....perfection.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: February 13, 2023 11:12AM

Coffee and tea are not good if you have a propensity to oxylate based kidney stones apparently but it is a risk I take. After a too recent experience with an MRI test I am beginning to weight the difference between it and a stone lol. At least with a stone there are the hot blankets in the ER and the welcoming shot that makes everything disappear. The MRI experience lives in the mind forever.

Posted by: tensolator ( )
Date: February 13, 2023 06:36PM

kentish Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Coffee and tea are not good if you have a
> propensity to oxylate based kidney stones
> apparently but it is a risk I take. After a too
> recent experience with an MRI test I am beginning
> to weight the difference between it and a stone
> lol. At least with a stone there are the hot
> blankets in the ER and the welcoming shot that
> makes everything disappear. The MRI experience
> lives in the mind forever.

What do these stones look like?

Posted by: tensolator ( )
Date: February 13, 2023 06:34PM

I was never a coffee drinker. I grew up with it. A couple years back a friend and I were talking. Depression came up. His doc told him to try a cup or two of coffee in the AM. I gave it a try. I cannot say I am disappointed. I feel better. I have aches and pains still, but not horrible.

Overall I think my demeanor has improved. I still hide it a bit. My neighbor in the class next door, who still says Good Mormon when he arrives would poop his pants.

Too much can make me jittery. I am still not hooked on the taste. However, with enough cream and the right amount of sugar, I am good to go.

Posted by: cuzx ( )
Date: February 13, 2023 06:45PM

On deployments, I discovered the joys of a cup of joe from our C-rations, and later MREs (meals ready to eat) via the instant coffee packets contained within (I was fairly inactive for about 2/3 of my active duty).

Since leaving TSSC, I became reacquainted with joys of caffeinated drinks, more especially green tea lattes these days.

;)

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 17, 2023 09:52PM

Coffee good. People no like coffee stupid.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: February 18, 2023 04:17PM

Coffee helped me after a hysterectomy in that when I drank it 3 days after my surgery, it got me going again, after having to do a bowel prep which was the clear diet and drinking the stuff you drink before a colonoscopy. It was a laproscopic surgery, so I went home the same evening, so I didn't stay in the hospital overnight. The coffee worked better than any stool softener for me.

Posted by: HusbandofTBM ( )
Date: February 24, 2023 04:43PM

Coffee (and tea) are loaded with polyphenols/antioxidants, the WoW against them is detrimental to one’s health

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8601035/

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: February 28, 2023 09:43AM

I LOVE coffee. My inlaws gave us an espresso machine. A DeLonghi.I turn it on as I walk to the bathroom in the morning. The sound warms my heart.

It takes beans, grinds them one cup at a time, and makes the most delicious coffee or espresso.

Recently, I accidentally got some coffee grounds instead of beans. I had to learn how to use the machine all over again.

I'm proud of myself.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.