Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: robinsaintcloud ( )
Date: March 07, 2023 06:02PM

Really? That's the next spot in all the world that needs a temple? Hmmm........

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 07, 2023 06:27PM

Here's a little article found when I double-checked the above statement:

The small rural pioneer community of Montpelier, Idaho nestled in the quiet Bear Lake valley received news that the town would be the site of a new temple for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The announcement came from church President Russell M. Nelson during April general conference this past weekend.

Rumors have been rampant over the past few years due to the sale of the old Montpelier city hall to the church and the building’s immediate demolition. Subsequently, the city had also vacated two alleys since the church had purchased properties on both sides of the rights of way. Five adjacent homes also had been purchased with four already torn down and one slated to be moved to an alternate site by the end of April.

https://www.hjnews.com/montpelier/church-announces-montpelier-temple/article_c836dcde-e074-5343-ba5d-19d9587047cb.html

There were rumors! Did anyone make any money as a result of insider information? Well, who needs insider information; you just need faith and an inquiring spirit.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 07, 2023 06:35PM

I just hope they didn't make the bear move.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: March 07, 2023 06:41PM

I thought they had done away with the bear touching in the temple.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 07, 2023 07:01PM

... how do you even live with yourself!!??

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: March 07, 2023 07:06PM

Its all unbearable.

Date: March 07, 2023 07:15PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... how do you even live with yourself!!??

You're just jealous you didn't think of it first.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 08, 2023 08:33AM

Come swim in bear lake by the light of the moon

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 07, 2023 06:55PM

The exact location of the "future" temple has been pin-dropped on the G map- sadly there are (5) 5-star reviews of a church temple that has yet to be built.

I noticed that there's a cluster of four well maintained houses on the lot where the temple will be built. I get it; the church made an offer and the property owner(s) accepted. And the church is within its right to tear them down to make room for baker hat delight.

Just seems like a waste when there's plenty of open areas available in a tiny town.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 07, 2023 06:56PM

I think Montpelier might have four traffic lights. 2,700 people. Its main claim to fame was that the local bank was once robbed by Butch and Sundance.

It is a bit of a hike to the temples in Afton, WY or Pocatello, but still, a temple in a town that small?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2023 06:57PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: March 07, 2023 07:09PM

Probably have a map on the wall, they do rock, paper, scissors. The winner gets to throw the dart for the next temple location.

Because it was an inspired toss.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 07, 2023 07:19PM

There's only around 6,500 people in the whole Bear Lake County.

Idaho (and Utah in this case since the lake is shared) pristine fresh water lake areas are becoming more valuable and desirable for transplants, retirees, and people who can work at home.

Mormons and other business people are maintaining the value of the area and setting it up to become a big investment opportunity. There is no surprise the church would hone in on this opportunity to invest in the community, guiding the development. Maybe this isn't really about temples which sit mostly dormant, IMO. The church steps in to spruce up an area that mostly benefits Mormons in the area. I suppose they all see it as a win win. It just doesn't seem like an appropriate role for a so called religion, IMO.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 08, 2023 03:11AM

I think you nailed it.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: March 07, 2023 07:00PM

Seems anywhere can acquire a franchise these days.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: March 08, 2023 12:24AM

I wonder how the fight, if any, about polluting the night sky by illuminating this monstrosity will play out?

Hopefully they have some firm of dark sky laws.

So in typical church action, they carpet bag into a potentially lucrative resort area, set up a temple, sell surrounding homes go retiring TBMs at a nice profit.

Did the consult with the bear lake monster before they decided to desecrate this area?

Posted by: decultified ( )
Date: March 08, 2023 02:05AM

Just another fire hydrant to pee on.

I see these temples as the mormon equivalent to those godawful Confederate statues that were put up all over the South to mark territory and serve as a constant reminder of who's in charge. "This is our land; we mean to keep it and do as we please."

Date: March 08, 2023 02:07AM

+1

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 08, 2023 11:26AM

I just looked up the city hall, and of course it was a for the temple. At least a few equally nice old houses were moved. I suspect The Church™ has total sway in the town and preservationists were told "Oh, that poor old city hall was in terrible shape and had to come down."
If and when the temple goes up, I garen-gaw-dam-tee that someone with connections to TSCC is going make a pile of cash through contracts and land sales.

Posted by: Boyd KKK ( )
Date: March 08, 2023 12:26PM

Considering drought and water use problems where are they going to get the water they will be using? Filling the baptismal font, washing & anounting, etc - surely it will take a lot of water.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: March 08, 2023 02:00PM

I seem to remember that this temple was announced in the spring of last year.

Like a couple of comments, I wondered why since there's a temple in Afton, WY about 45 miles away.

Way back in the late '60s, I was one of a few Catholics in Star Valley. No matter how hungover I was I made it point to go Mass every Sunday in Montpelier.

In fact, my molly Mormon girl friend's mother and a friend met me one Sunday as I was walking out of Church. I interduced them to the parish priest, who showed them around the church and explained the statues and icons in the building and how the services were conducted. Answered all their questions.

They later told me they were amazed that there wasn't any effort for them to join the church. Just if they had any questions, he was available anytime and he thanked them for stopping by.

Meanwhile, there too many of my "friends and acquaintances" back in the valley watching to see if they could criticize me for not following my religion's rules and missing Mass on Sundays.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 08, 2023 02:32PM

How about a temple for Bare Lake?, he asks ‘for a friend’

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.