Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Noni Moose ( )
Date: March 07, 2023 04:02AM

Walmart says it is pulling out of Portland because it can't cope with the city.

https://youtu.be/WI4wiSff4zM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: March 07, 2023 04:22AM

The video quotes Greg Abbott as the source.

Also see

https://original.newsbreak.com/@ash-jurberg-560946/2947303557818-walmart-closes-two-stores-in-portland-but-what-is-the-real-reason-for-this

The statement from Walmart:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/retail/walmart-shutter-portland-locations-just-months-after-ceos-warnings-crime

"Walmart announced it is permanently closing all of its locations in Portland, Oregon, over financial reasons.

"We have nearly 5,000 stores across the U.S. and unfortunately some do not meet our financial expectations," Walmart said in its announcement, according to KPTV. "While our underlying business is strong, these specific stores haven’t performed as well as we hoped."

"There are 17 other Walmart locations outside of Portland and Vancouver. A total of 580 employees will be affected by the closures, KGW8 reported."

"The retail staple announced other closures across the U.S., including in: Arkansas, Florida, Washington, D.C., Wisconsin, New Mexico and Illinois."

"A Walmart spokesperson told Fox News Digital when asked about McMillon's comments that "there is no single cause for why a store closes."

"We do a thorough review of how a store performs and weigh many factors before making the difficult decision to close a facility," the spokesperson said.

"We consider many factors, including current and projected financial performance, location, population, customer needs, and the proximity of other nearby stores when making these difficult decisions. Our focus right now is taking care of our associates during this transition and working with our customers to transition their pharmacy, and other, shopping needs to nearby stores."

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 07, 2023 05:18AM

Nothing new here. This is why there are often "food deserts" in inner cities. Stores are unable to operate due to excessive shoplifting, theft, armed robberies, vandalism, etc. Over the years, for many of my urban students, the only food source close at hand is the corner bodega, where the cashier sits behind bullet-proof glass. If and when a neighborhood stabilizes, stores return.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 07, 2023 05:25AM

Walmart sucks. I wish the whole chain would disappear.

Date: March 07, 2023 07:27AM

What's your alternative for shoppers who need to save money? I shop at Wal-Mart weekly, not only for my own needs but (for many, many years) for school supplies for my students. Every August, I've bought 50 boxes of crayons for 50 cents each, and dozens of composition books, also for 50 cents each. I also have bought pencils, erasers, markers, etc. on the regular.

I do fill in at other grocery stores, but for many items, Wal-Mart can't be beat when it comes to everyday prices. Costco looks intriguing, but the only Costco in the area is well out of my way. And Sam's Club, etc., seem more oriented towards bulk purchases.

Date: March 08, 2023 01:14PM

Walmart buys on such a scale they get good pricing but they are cutthroat. They will demand a certain price and the manufacture will cut the quality to save money. You don't get the best quality at Walmart.

Dealing with Indian reservations is a nightmare. I can see why they avoided it.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: March 07, 2023 08:05AM

I shop at Walmart all the time. Prices are competitive.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: March 07, 2023 11:22AM

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: March 07, 2023 12:15PM

Walmart shoppers support These Communism

Really, give me the data. BTW, most all stores sell the same stuff. Actually, I'm supporting American Capitalism

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 07, 2023 03:25PM

> WBTW, most all stores sell the same stuff.

Yep. Walmart's competitors? Every single one of them procure supplies from China.

Date: March 07, 2023 03:40PM

Exactly. Wal-Mart carries the same brands everyone else carries. If anything, I think I've seen a bit more effort from WM to carry goods made in America than from other mass-market stores.

Date: March 08, 2023 01:17PM

The last time I walked into a Walmart store which was years ago it smelled like Stanley Market in Hong Kong. The store had that cheap Chinese market smell.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 07, 2023 02:06PM

after dating in our 20s, he lived in CO and he hated Walmart. He would come to visit me. One Sunday we did some driving up into some of the dirt road canyons in Cache Valley and a tire on my SUV went flat. Guess which store was the only place in Cache Valley we could find a tire and get it put on. His flight was leaving early the next morning. He told me that changed his opinion of Walmart. They serve a purpose. I just got home from going to one.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 07, 2023 10:29AM

Perhaps a sufficiently large part of the local population refuses to shop at Walmart, so the stores underperform.

And considering how long the "riots" (mostly dumpster fires) persisted after the BLM disturbances of 2020 subsided in the rest of the country, Portland seems to have a liberal white grievance problem. I suspect vandalism and shoplifting also played a part in the decision to close stores in Portland.

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: March 07, 2023 11:22AM

Maybe it's competition from Fred Meyers who started the one stop shopping thing in the 50s and is very prolific in the Portland Metro area.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: March 07, 2023 11:25AM

I was in Fred Myers in West Portland recently, the store was packed, I did not observe any shoplifting or vandalism. Prices were much better than Walmart where I live.

Posted by: Arkay ( )
Date: March 08, 2023 09:49AM

Living in the Boise area, I have found Fred Meyer to be as expensive as Albertson's. We do the bulk of our shopping at WinCo Foods, if they didn't exist we'd be using Walmart.

Sure, for unique stuff we go to Fred Meyer, but that's it.

Date: March 08, 2023 09:52AM

The Walmart closest to us in Meridian, ID is clean, well stocked and doesn't have everything locked up. I can deal with this one. On the other hand, the one I used to frequent in San Diego (Kearny Mesa) is awful. Due to theft, lots of stuff is locked up and it has an armed camp feel to it. I suspect a lot more of them will close where theft is rampant and no one does anything about it.

Date: March 08, 2023 01:28PM

WinCo is very price competitive and it's owned by the employees. It's a good company.

Date: March 08, 2023 03:54PM

Yes, I was quite pleasantly surprised by WinCo. I had moved from the northern part of San Diego, there we shopped at a Stater Bros. store, that was a very well run store chain, family owned.

Date: March 08, 2023 01:21PM

Fred Meyer is a good company. The Meyer family still have a controlling interest in it and they have always been good to work for.

Posted by: TX_Rancher ( )
Date: March 07, 2023 12:26PM

I don't believe Walmart is pulling out (two stores) due to social unrest. Portland seems to have more of a culture of mom and pop stores vs. big chains.

Why do I think this? I was there in downtown about ten years ago for work. Somehow forgot to pack underwear. First thought "Walmart" and there was nothing nearby...I didn't want to drive 20 minutes.

Mostly mom and pop stores. Finally found maybe a Fred Myers or Target within reasonable distance and went there. Maybe I'm imagining things but seems like the culture is to shop more local.

Posted by: unconventional ( )
Date: March 07, 2023 01:51PM

You’re not imagining it. I lived there for nearly a quarter century, and it really is about local ownership. They intentionally avoid chain stores that come in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2023 01:52PM by unconventional.

Date: March 08, 2023 01:24PM

I lived in Portland for awhile. Costco was a popular destination. I remember wonderful Chinese grocery stores. I grew up in Hong Kong so I'm always looking for good Asian food shops.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 07, 2023 02:38PM

And yet nobody complained that TSCC closed the inner city Salt Lake wards because of the same reason. Not enough money coming from those wards.

Posted by: Boyd KKK ( )
Date: March 08, 2023 12:30PM

Friends in the Dakotas tell of a newer WalMart that went in. Company could have built on a Reservation - and NO SALES TAX would have made things really good for buyers. But..., dealing with Tribal Council and any disputes held in Tribal Court was the reason W/M passed on it. Instead built in a town 30 Miles West with the whole county having less than 1/5 the population of the Reservation alone.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 08, 2023 01:58PM

I avoid Walmart when possible. It's so big I'll wander around forever only to find out they don't have exactly what I want.

Whenever I walk in, my first thought is that it looks like a giant sea of cheap plastic crap that will all be in the trash in a few months.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 09, 2023 08:00PM

I've never been inside either of the Wal-Marts here. Can't physically do a big store anymore and support a locally own market because I can.

Posted by: OP ( )
Date: March 09, 2023 10:43PM

Many folks in the region - "the west coast" in general (and that includes some or all of Washington, Oregon, California, Idaho, Montana, Colorado, etc , etc., etc.) - prefer shopping at better businesses.

Since Walmart is one of the worst, it fails.

What more is there to know?
Nothing. That's all I know.
That's all there is to know.
Works you like to know more?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.