Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 15, 2023 11:28AM

I asked it what takes place inside an LDS Temple. It was fairly accurate.

But this stuff did stand out.

The temple is also a place of quiet reflection and meditation, and members are encouraged to spend time there in prayer and contemplation. It is considered a peaceful and sacred space where members can feel close to God and receive personal revelation.

I'm trying to remember if when I was a believer if I believed this? My temple experiences didn't match it. Ever.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 15, 2023 11:40AM

The temple was just a goofy game of Simons says to me. It felt like I was being initiated into a silly fraternity rather than experiencing anything spiritual. I was just getting in good with the brotherhood.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 15, 2023 11:51AM

Ugh. Chat must have picked up the temple pitch talk from Mormon crap or something.

Posted by: Boyd KKK ( )
Date: March 15, 2023 01:08PM

You can meditate, pray and get inspiration in the Celestial room after your session - as long as you do it withing 2 minutes and 14 seconds. After that the matrons hurry you out...

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 15, 2023 01:14PM

True. Plus, they really don't want you to get too much "personal revelation" either because it might not align with what the GAs want you to do.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 17, 2023 12:43AM

I just kept wondering what the heck I was doing wrong because I always felt rushed when going to the temple. I just remembered this little gem after reading EB's thought.

Dad and I had finished attending a session. We were still in the changing room with our "street clothes" a dark suit (neither of us bothered putting on the necktie- I have always been a slacker). Dad says- Wait for me here (near the lockers and dressing benches).

I'm waiting and into the locker room walks a temple worker.- Brother, are you getting ready for the session? We're starting in 2 minutes so you better hurry to get dressed.

I tell him that I'm waiting for someone. The worker jumped back from what I said. -Oh no, you can't wait here. You need to exit the temple right now. Before I could confront him, he left for back up and a second temple worker arrived. The 2nd one parroted the same script.

So I had to exit and wait under a large tree on a hot day. My dad was not amused- Where did you go? I looked all over for you.

Being told to hurry on my way in and being told to get out was my normal temple experience.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 17, 2023 09:25AM

Great share. House of prayer it isn't. They probably thought you a thief.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.