Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: March 21, 2023 11:22PM

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2023/03/17/gordon-monson-can-lds-church-fix/

“Can we dump the proud narrative held among members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, having had the notion crammed down their — our — throats for decades, that they — we — are a “peculiar” people?

“Peculiar,” in a good way.

A lot of Latter-day Saints read into “peculiar” another word — “special,” maybe even “chosen,” which is to say, “favored by God.”

A lot of Americans read something else into the word “peculiar,” or the reputation that goes along with it. They read “weird” or “odd” or “strange.” Whatever the exact interpretive term is, it’s not a compliment.

You may have read in The Salt Lake Tribune that a recent Pew Research Center poll of more than 10,000 Americans found that neither Mormons nor Latter-day Saints, call them whatever you want, even if they’re all the same people, is seen in a favorable light.“

A lot of Americans read something else into the word “peculiar,” or the reputation that goes along with it. They read “weird” or “odd” or “strange.” Whatever the exact interpretive term is, it’s not a compliment.

You may have read in The Salt Lake Tribune that a recent Pew Research Center poll of more than 10,000 Americans found that neither Mormons nor Latter-day Saints, call them whatever you want, even if they’re all the same people, is seen in a favorable light.

If God supposedly favors you, but Jill and Joe Sixpack think you’re kooky, how’s that help to build the Kingdom of God on earth? Just wondering here.

Sure, some Latter-day Saint doctrines are different. They center on Christ, but some Christian churches disapprove of the focus of that centering. Some don’t like the belief that God the Father is a separate being from Jesus Christ the Son. They don’t approve of the idea that prophets and apostles have been restored to the earth and that those folks get ongoing revelation directly from God in guiding their church. And they might not think it’s too cool that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints proclaims itself to be the only true religion.

That’s all problematic, as is the worldwide missionary effort by the church that seeks to snatch converts away from other faiths, Christian and otherwise, declaring that the Latter-day Saint way is the better way.

Throw in historical mistakes such as racism, sexism, polygamy and the whole Proposition 8 debacle along with a general rejection, either perceived or actual, of LGBTQ individuals and, well, such matters send a message to humans near and far of severe judgment and exclusivity.

It’s fair to assume that Americans don’t like being judged and don’t like being excluded. They find that not just “peculiar” but objectionable.’
+++++++++++++++++++++++

‘Historical mistakes such as racism, sexism and polygamy…’?

Those were not ‘historical mistakes’ they were and are doctrinal. MORmON scriptures are irredeemably racist, sexist and abusive. I know a lot of ExMos are quick to defend the racist, sexist, abusive cult we were born into, unfortunately, by saying all scriptures are racist, sexist and abusive.
That’s nonsense.
No other scriptures I’ve ever seen say God cursed two entire races with dark skin for the sins of their Fathers. No other scriptures I’ve ever seen treat women like breed stock. MORmON scriptures do.

Monson lets Mormons off the hook, by saying they’re mostly good neighbors who just want to be good people. Good neighbors don’t sing the praises of a serial rapist, or pray to a cruel Gid who cursed two entire races with dark skin for the sins of their Fathers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 21, 2023 11:34PM

Well, that post's going to need some editing!

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 21, 2023 11:52PM

I think as Africa develops and Internet use becomes more universal, the church's reputation will precede it.

The church's reputation can't be fixed. It's management structure makes that impossible.

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: March 22, 2023 12:03AM

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 22, 2023 12:15AM

Who is going to clue them in that as long as people like Mike Lee are representing mostly Mormons, BYU and Utah Mormon priorities, people will associate them with extremists and racists?

Mitt Romney tried to be honest Mitt but he is still an oligarchy supporter and dork at best. Mormons have a male priesthood which is not a good look in these times of women getting rights removed. Their record on other civil rights is not complementary.

Are they oblivious to what is happening politically that influences their reputation? To me, it looks like they can't see the forest for the trees. They can't pretend to be everything opposite of their dogma and voter choices.

Posted by: Dallin Ox ( )
Date: March 22, 2023 01:09AM

Mormons don't want Jill and Joe Sixpack anyway because (1) beer is frowned upon, and (2) they aren't high-income tithers.

Besides –
If mormons are popular, everyone admires them and so the church is true!
If mormons are unpopular, then they're being persecuted and so the church is true!

Gordon is shouting into the great mormon void.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 22, 2023 04:01PM

Since when was Mormonism popular? What sold Mormonism and probably saved it was the working class and peasants in Northern Europe and Britain joined and migrated because America was this magical place of opportunity. Because the church was American sold it more than anything.

It was the big dream for people who came from nothing who had no upward mobility where they migrated out of.

Date: March 23, 2023 12:09AM

It’s been a popular target of ridicule and the harshest kind of insults and blasphemy on the biggest platform on planet Earth.
It has become a laughing stock on Broadway for the first quarter of the 21st C.
It’s like Levi’s Dream came true, the Great and Spacious Building is the Broadway Theater showing The Book Of MORmON on Broadway and the whole world is laughing at MORmONs, they have less respect than Muslims or Atheists.
Ironically, while Mormons look weirder and weirder to the outside world and the butt of every religious comedy routine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2023 12:16AM by schrodingerscat.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 23, 2023 01:43PM

Have you seen The Book of Mormon? Both it and the famous South Park episode make fun of Mormon doctrines and cultural practices, but are quite sympathetic to Mormon people.

In particular, the take-away from TBOM is that it doesn’t matter what kind of ridiculous nonsense you believe, whether it is Mormonism, or Elder Cunningham’s even more ridiculous theology, as long as it motivates people to work together to create a better society.

While Mormons reject the premise that it doesn’t matter if the theology is ridiculous, I am sure they are ok with the conclusion that they motivate people to work together to create a better society.

Utah even has a brand new state flag that has a huge beehive in the center, the iconic symbol of working together.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: March 22, 2023 05:52PM

I think they follow the Joan Jett approach.

Date: March 23, 2023 12:04AM

Care to elaborate?

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: March 23, 2023 12:50AM

She didn't care about her Bad Reputation.

Google it. I can't copy a link.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 23, 2023 01:07AM

Mormonism’s strong point was Never keeping up with society, the current divisiveness polarization of cultures & politics isn’t helping mo image, not at all bc they’re now & always been fence-sitters.

Posted by: unconventional ( )
Date: March 23, 2023 07:47AM

My German language skills and now Spanish stem from my mission to Germany years ago when I got the confidence to be able to master languages.

These days when people ask, the mission always comes up. However, people generally have zero interest in my Mormon background.

It’s just expected that reasonable people would leave it once they understood what it’s about.

The implication is that only fools would stay in.

Yes, I know it’s complicated, but seen from an outsider’s perspective, the picture is clearer.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 23, 2023 02:13PM

publicity right or wrong linking sexual abuse to 'trusted church members' doesn't appear to be waning, does it ?

These expose systematic failures of concurrent societal & ChurchCo failures which Churchco, especially in the IMW has utterly- completely failed- refused to engage with effectively

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2023 02:16PM by GNPE.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.