Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: April 16, 2011 05:10PM

A shepherd does not keep sheep because he loves sheep. They aren't his children, they are animals. Animals, not even pets. In other words, he keeps sheep in order to fleece them.

He keeps them because he can fleece them and sell their wool for his benefit. He keeps them because they are yummy, roasted with mint sauce. He keeps them so they will breed and make more sheep which will bring in money. He isn't interested in the goals set by the sheep for their lives, nor is he interested in what makes them happy. There is no way a shepherd would credit a sheep with equal intelligence or the ability to make good decisions for itself or even knowing right from wrong. They are just dumb animals that he cares for carefully in order make a profit. Oh sure, he may be sad if a particular one dies because it had a lot of personality or there may be a little lamb that needed special care so the shepherd is more fond of it than the others. But at the end of the day, he doesn't let himself become too attached to the sheep because they are just future lamb chops.

Mormons take this idea and run with it. They put themselves up as shepherds, which makes the rest of us dumb sheep who need to follow their lead. They want to protect us from ourselves but not because they love us - because they don't want us to go astray from the path THEY have chosen for us. It doesn't occur to them to respect individual paths in life because it's their way or it's wrong. They try to "protect the lambs so they don't die spiritually" without asking if it's any of their damn business. Without asking the lambs if they want or need help. Without consulting with the lambs about what's best for them. Without asking the lamb's parents opinion. And without any real concern for the lamb - except for what they can get out of that animal. Which is a sense of superiority and a chance to herd someone around. Well, guess what Mormons? I'm not a stupid animal. I'm a shepherd too - or at least a person of equal (or greater) intelligence as you. I'm not part of a flock. You don't get to watch over me or tell me where to graze. How would you like it if I told you where to go?

On the other hand, that might be a great idea.....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2011 05:21PM by CA girl.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: freegirl10 ( )
Date: April 16, 2011 05:20PM

Wow, CA girl, what a great analogy! What you say really is so true...puts things in a whole new perspective!!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 16, 2011 05:20PM

does care for his sheep . . . REALLY CARES. But I completely get your post as the leaders DO NOT CARE for the sheep AT ALL.

I've thought a lot about the sheep we raised as children lately--and about going to the county fair to show sheep and then sell them at auction. I remember a girl sobbing hysterically when she sold the cow she had raised from a calf. I saw my brother cry over the sheep he raised and sold. He NEVER has eaten lamb and neither have the rest of the family. Some people do care about their animals.

The LDS church DOES NOT.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: April 16, 2011 05:21PM

Great post. I love the "future lamb chops" reference. I have always found the whole lamb/Christian analogy to be annoying. When my sister (a Presbyterian minister ) was asking my input for my mother's memorial service I made told her the music selection had to be sheep free.

If any religion viewed its members as sheep and future lamb chops it is the morg. They have probably done a future cost analysis of lamb chop prices projected out ten years.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: April 16, 2011 06:16PM

The people who refuse to follow them blindly are called goats!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.