Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Changed Man ( )
Date: April 16, 2011 06:35PM

DW was at a her new friend's house when the friend's husband came home from a nice ride on his Harley. He was relaxed, smiling, and feeling good. Then DW's friend said to him, "Your home teaching companion just called to remind you that you're going home teaching in a half hour." Her husband scrunched up his face and got all tense, then sulked back to his room. DW felt bad for him, and told me later that nobody should have to do anything that grates on them like that. And it's not nice to ruin someone's good mood like that. By the way, I prefer Harleys over home teaching any day!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: April 16, 2011 06:45PM

He should have climbed right back on and continued riding.

Posted by: elderborracho ( )
Date: April 16, 2011 07:36PM

Oh man, you hit a nerve just now! I dreaded home teaching like no other! I also miss my Harley. But, the latter is for a completely different thread. You could write an entire book with the subject "Harley's and Home Teaching- compare and contrast." I remember one day in elder's quorum (EQ) a guy from the stake presidency came in and gave the whole group a good "tongue lashing" about how we needed to have a good attitude about doing our home teaching. That phrase alone just makes me sick - "home teaching." The only thing positive about home teaching was when I was done for the month and could breathe a sigh of relief. But, the relief was only temporary. Another month later, and uggghhhh! More home teaching.

Posted by: Changed Man ( )
Date: April 17, 2011 08:06AM

Home teaching was one of those dreaded things for me too. The families wanted me there about as much as I wanted to be there, and I honestly tried to do a good job. My parents had a great home teacher at one time. He had great lessons and really cared. He had an outgoing personality and loved home teaching. I tried to copy him, but the whole thing seems like forced friendship and prying into a family's business. Once I started questioning things, I couldn't do home teaching anymore, and asked the EQP not to assign any families to me. What a relief!

For some reason, I never get tired of riding my motorcycle.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: April 17, 2011 08:19AM

"Only Harley riders know why dogs stick their heads out of the car window."

"Only Home Teachers know why they want to stick their heads into the oven with the gas turned on."

Just sayin'...

Ron

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.