Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 01, 2023 10:07PM

I wish this was satire or dark humour, but it's not.

This is the type of rhetoric that is invoked to inspire the devoted demented to kill.

People will die because of this.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/right-wing-anti-transgender-rhetoric-nashville_n_642749ade4b01284198d5cf4

On Tuesday, Tucker Carlson, the most watched cable news commentator in the country, called “the trans movement” the “natural enemy” of Christianity. Christianity and “transgender orthodoxy,” he said, were incompatible and “on a collision course with each other.”

“One side is likely to draw blood before the other side,” Carlson said before referring to the shooting. “Yesterday morning, tragically, our fears were confirmed.”

In November, the Armed Conflict Location & Event Data Project (ACLED) said that anti-LGBTQ+ mobilization had “risen to its highest levels” since the project started recording U.S. data in 2020. A spokesperson for the group, Sam Jones, told HuffPost in an email that although late 2022 remains a high point ― ACLED recorded 240 anti-LGBTQ+ incidents in total last year ― “anti-LGBTQ+ mobilization is continuing at very high levels.”

“If you compared the first quarter of 2023 with the same time period last year, for example, it’s four times higher,” Jones said in an email. Incidents logged this year include protests outside family-friendly Drag Queen Story Hour events and at medical clinics that offer gender-affirming care to trans people. Members of the Proud Boys, the far-right street gang that played an integral role in the attack on Congress on Jan. 6, 2021, frequently attend these events.

On Thursday, a police department in Ohio recommended canceling a planned drag brunch at a community church due to a “realistic threat that organized protests and counter-protests could result in violence.” The Sunday prior ― before the Nashville shooting ― the church announced that Molotov cocktails had been thrown on the property and a sign had been smashed with a sledgehammer, according to WJW-TV in Cleveland.

For Bales, who’s been tracking the right’s aggressive focus on the trans community for years, the recent attacks feel like an extension of years of bigotry ― an “extreme backlash” that goes back to a major win for the LGBTQ+ community, the U.S. Supreme Court’s legalization of same-sex marriage nationwide in 2015.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2023 10:09PM by anybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 03, 2023 09:58PM

The next Civil War will be fought over trans rights.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 03, 2023 10:18PM

Does that mean we've bridged the chasm of hostility separating Butter fanatics from Margarine maniacs?

Not gonna lie; the '60s, with the Ford v. GM v. Chrysler wars were hard on a teenage lad!

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: April 04, 2023 08:00AM

I have a trans niece who, up until recently, was my 6’-7” tall nephew. She’s got hair down to the middle of her back and is now, at 21, taking estrogen and progesterone. In a year she have bottom surgery. I told my kids. Youngest Daughter just said,”Cool” oldest son said, “Publically, 100% Supportive, privately, they got another one. When people lose touch with their ancestral traditions they become subject to passing fads.”
He’s now Jewish and very traditional and nostalgic about the past.
Publicly and privately I support my niece 100%. she’s got a tough road ahead of her, now made even tougher by current attitudes towards people like her.
Tucker’s war on Trans people could get her killed.

Posted by: anonynon ( )
Date: April 04, 2023 11:28PM

schrodingerscat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> “Publically, 100% Supportive, privately, they
> got another one. When people lose touch with their
> ancestral traditions they become subject to
> passing fads.”
> He’s now Jewish and very traditional and
> nostalgic about the past.

If any of the LBGT community were following passing fads, these "fads" wouldn't have been written about in the OT (or many ancient religions' or cultures texts). And they were written about and prescribed against in the OT because LBGT people existed and were persecuted back then. It's not a passing fad, it's nature. The thing people are losing touch with is self-hatred, shame and not living the life they were created to live due to religious/societal norms.

Fundies are pro-patriot,and what's more patriotic than the LGBTQIA+ community standing together and saying (in words and actions):

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death" - patrick henry

The line was drawn and these brave LBGTQIA patriots are bravely throwing off the shackles and chains of living as slaves to made up/religious/conservative norms. Give them liberty or give them death, indeed. What brave, patriotic stance has the conservative right taken lately?

I wish your brave, strong niece all the liberty in the world to become who she was meant to be. Is she in Utah? I used to follow an exmo, utahn, MtF. She made a beautiful life for herself, with a husband and a community, and all the good things life has to offer. She stopped identifying as trans woman, because she felt her identity was better expressed by the word woman. As it should be.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: April 04, 2023 09:22AM

Which particular "gunfire" in the story quoted?

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: April 04, 2023 09:24AM

Auto correct fundamentals.

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: April 04, 2023 12:34PM

Fundies are the greatest enemy of any religion.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 04, 2023 03:43PM

Fundies of any religion.

If you want to discredit a faith, give it political power. The Mullahs of Iran have rendered the vast majority of that country irreligious or even atheist.

The Mullahs of the United States are following suit.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: April 04, 2023 09:02PM

Trans People (I like to call them just people) are a very small segment of our society. This all about nothing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.