Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tensolator ( )
Date: April 06, 2023 12:35AM

RMN has crowed in the past that skiing at 92 was because he lived the word of wisdom. Maybe in the New Era. Then he listed all of the coffee items young women and men should never drink. Ever. Last year? A friend and I were garage gyming it. We have known each other For a decade plus. One afternoon I told him I knew I was depressed. Serotonin uploaders made me ill, etc. He had escaped the church some time ago and he also had struggled with depression. He told me his MD told him to have coffee in the morning. Or two. He told me to try it. From day one what a difference. I can function much better. I do not dig coffee, but it helps. I doubt I will be skiing at 92, But if that is the case coffee will not be the reason.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2023 03:05AM by tensolator.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 06, 2023 12:49AM

“As I came to understand the Word of Wisdom, I wanted my parents to live that law. So one day, when I was very young, I went to our basement and smashed on the concrete floor, every bottle of liquor.”

Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!

Posted by: decultified ( )
Date: April 06, 2023 01:19AM

I bet this liquor story never happened. Nelson has a history of [lying] embellishing his stories.

https://www.ldsdiscussions.com/nelson

Any Nelson story which can't be independently corroborated can't be trusted.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 06, 2023 04:47PM

I'm sure the ghost of Paul Dunn can confirm every story from Rusty.

Posted by: I ( )
Date: April 07, 2023 01:48AM

I bet he got smashed!

(And Smacked)

He's a big, old, bald tall tale teller

Posted by: tensolator ( )
Date: April 06, 2023 04:11AM

I remember the plane story. I felt mortified for the woman. People have a fear of flight to begin with. Add to that an event in the air of catastrophic failure on the craft and even the pilots are pooping. But what I recall was our beloved prophet stating that her own husband was embarrassed by her behavior. Which if the event occurred as Nelson tells the story, the husband probably was worried about his own mortality and less about his wife's hysteria. Plus, why would anyone, "prophet" or not announce to an international audience that someone, man or woman, panicked and screamed during a death roll in a plane. It is what people do. Except of course our beloved prophet. She was doing what most people would actually do.

The story, and it is that, exhibits the usual under lying criticism that the 12 direct at perceived lack of faith or another short coming.

Before he passed James Faust spoke in conference concerning an exit interview he had with a bishop, according to JEF. When asked about his time as bishop, the man said to JEF that he was exhausted. The man left the meeting, then never returned to church.

This lead, if I remember correctly, Elder JEF criticizing the man for his apparent lack of spiritual stamina then made it the subject of his talk.

This I believe leads to the question of: Why would anyone criticize a volunteer who spent 5 to 7 years of his life in a job like roll, giving hundreds of hours, his family as well, then (anonymous or not) be publicly shamed?

I have noticed subtle changes in how leaders frame statements. For years we were told, thank you for your service. Now they thank us for our sacrifice. That is a big jump in expectations. In the 1970s we were told to lengthen our stride. Fine. Yet that has become antiquated.

Agency. A key teaching growing up. You had choice, choose the right. Recently I was half listening to the TV as my wife watched conference. I am pretty sure a speaker threw agency out the window.

The use of prompting and revelation to tighten the screws on every member is masterful.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 06, 2023 08:52AM

"pretty sure a speaker threw agency out the window"

You have free agency if the church permits it.

Date: April 06, 2023 04:49PM

Isn't it called moral agency now?

Date: April 07, 2023 02:02AM

bradley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "pretty sure a speaker threw agency out the
> window"
>
> You have free agency if the church permits it.

TSCC can't permit it. That's called a recommend. Same thing. But anyway...

If Mormonism "permitted" "FREE-AGENCY" there would be no Mormonism. Period

Free Agency only refers to those leaving TSCC.

Members have the free agency to think, feel, grow & know for themselves.

Free Agency is seeing/ knowing/ learning Mormonism, the book of morals, and JS, Jr., himself, absolutely contradict itself/ himself, and wanting freedom, truth, infinity...

But really though, Mormonism wouldn't allow free agency but by mistake.

Just sayin' (speaking from 'sperience) ;)

Posted by: dot matrix printer ( )
Date: April 06, 2023 10:33AM

tensolator Wrote:

> This lead, if I remember correctly, Elder JEF
> criticizing the man for his apparent lack of
> spiritual stamina then made it the subject of his
> talk.
>
> This I believe leads to the question of: Why
> would anyone criticize a volunteer who spent 5 to
> 7 years of his life in a job like roll, giving
> hundreds of hours, his family as well, then
> (anonymous or not) be publicly shamed?
>

A leader who refuses to accept the truth- like the bishop who wouldn't accept the fact that 5 or 6 big families who move out can drop sacrament attendance by 30 persons. So the anger was pushed upon me. I was treated no better than a smoldering cigarette butt. I started making up dishonest stats, but I ultimately had to leave the church as being dishonest was going to destroy my character; my resilience.

The bishop who the church wore out had embarrassed a crappy church system of policies that don't always work out. So it was with grand pleasure that Faust smeared the good name and reputation of a bishop who suffered a breakdown trying to please the church.

Posted by: blackcoatsdaughter ( )
Date: April 06, 2023 08:33AM

I struggle with ADHD and ASD, and I don't like having to fight insurance every other month, trying to get the meds I need, so, I'm unmedicated. But I like coffee for the caffeine content. Don't much care about flavour or taste(although professional coffee shop made sweet ones are objectively better than my home brew with a basic machine). As a writer, tis necessary as well.

Date: April 07, 2023 02:16AM

blackcoatsdaughter Wrote:
> ... I like coffee ...

... Don't much care about flavour or taste (although professional coffee shop made sweet ones are objectively better than my home brew with a basic machine). As a writer, tis necessary as well. >

Hey BCD~ Do you ever try using fresh ground whole beans and a pour over, a French press, or even a stovetop espresso maker? Quick. Easy cleanup. Tasty! It can make worlds of difference. Just wondering ;) P. S. I wish I could make a cup for ya'!

Posted by: blackcoatsdaughter ( )
Date: April 07, 2023 02:28PM

I would love for you to make a cup for me!

I am a novelist, so, I don't make a lot of money. Not enough to really dedicate to making ritzy coffee at home. I don't even buy milk anymore because that's rich people food. I have had coffee from a coffee shop but it's been a long time but I remember it was sweet and tasted more like a milkshake/hot chocolate drink than coffee as I knew it. I buy very basic coffee and make it with a machine I found at the dollar store for $30.

I'm also the type to fill up a monster mug that holds 16 oz. of coffee in it. And I usually finish it between 30-40 minutes after brewing.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 07, 2023 04:28PM

blackcoatsdaughter Wrote:
---------------------------
>
> I buy very basic coffee
> and make it in a machine
> I got at the dollar store
> for $30.
>

I tried coffee for about a year. I used Maxwell House, from Costco, and a $9.99 Mr. Coffee knock-off from Walmart. At least it helped wean me off caffeine-free Diet Coke.

Now mostly all I drink is lemon-lime fizzy water.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 07, 2023 04:42PM

Listen, Flav, you really must invest in an inexpensive espresso machine and some real coffees.

Date: April 07, 2023 05:06PM

I don't care if I'm not saved!

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 06, 2023 10:13AM

So Russ at 92. Was it slalom over big moguls or a careful run down the bunny hill? Either way. What ever.

For every zipping 90 year old who didn't drink there are many many more who did. What it really proves is some people have better genes than others.

How does Russ explain the fact that millions who didn't smoke or drink died young? Tell your story to the perfect TBM who got cancer and left small children behind. And coffee? Which is more and more reported to have many benefits? What kind of ass disses it? I'll tell you. An ass whose followers will suck down anything he dishes.

A fun clip I saved once:

105 year old Mae:

For better digestion--I drink beer.
In the case of appetite loss, I drink white wine.
In case of low blood pressure, I drink red wine.
In the case of high blood pressure, I drink scotch.
And when I have a cold, I drink Schnapps.
"When do you drink water?
"I've never been that sick."

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 07, 2023 11:16AM

I was trying to think of anyone I knew who was really old and skiing and smoked, drank, etc. Well my dad drank alcohol and coffee, and he chewed tobacco. We didn't know this until he was quite old and my nephew, who worked on the farm with him a lot, told us. My dad's father chewed tobacco and drank alcohol and coffee. Their house always smelled like coffee. I worried a lot about the coffee as I didn't know the rest as a young kid.

BUT my cousin has been on my mind a lot the past few weeks. She was 3 days older than me. She died of LUNG cancer at the age of 37 and left behind 6 children, ages 16 to 3. Her husband would meet up with his new girlfriend at the temple (while my cousin was still alive) and then he married her a month after my cousin died. This caused a huge mess.

Now almost 30 years later, he and his new wife put up a new headstone at the cemetery and put all the kids' names on it, her kids and his kids. I'm furious. My cousin was a wonderful person. She always treated everyone really good and she was always part of my life. She was a good mormon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2023 11:17AM by cl2.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 07, 2023 04:33PM

You make me wonder how her kids felt about it. The story seems hurtful on a lot of levels.

Date: April 06, 2023 04:54PM

My grandfather born in the 1880s enjoyed cowboy breakfast "coffee brewed over a fire" and rheumatis medicine "his homemade brandy".

He lived to a few weeks shy of 100.

At 98 he was boating alone on lake Powell or Flaming Gorge.

He'd horse back ride in the Uintas alone.

The was active up until a month before his death.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 06, 2023 05:14PM

Sometimes I think that certain members of the older generation were too ornery to die. ;) It sounds like your grandpa lived a full life. We should all do so well.

Posted by: SteamTown Mall, PA ( )
Date: April 06, 2023 05:18PM

My devote LDS great great grandfather had a "medical" booze. My Great-grandfather had literal snake oil bottles, you guess it, "medical" liquor, and during prohibition here in the dry state of Kansas, he had a class tax stamp for medical exception. Rules for thee...

Funfact: The church had no problem transporting prohibited items for Union Pacific as long as they got their cut in the empire of Zion :D

I found a treasure trove of invoices and manifests form the 1890s in Bisbee, AZ listing the destinations to famous heavy LDS areas.

Also, if you really want tom fun, go to Vermont and take a look how many religions were started in the region Smith was said to be born. It was a time of heavy revival, you know being an ocean away from Europe and her issues.

Posted by: Caffiend nli ( )
Date: April 07, 2023 01:58PM

She was in Lynn, Mass, when she "discovered" "mind science," the "science" of "divine healing."

Date: April 07, 2023 01:44AM

Just drink (it has health benefits): experiment. Learn. Enjoy-

Nothing wrong with that!

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: April 07, 2023 02:37AM

Who tells it best?

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: April 07, 2023 02:43PM

The coffee and tea thing in the day probably made sense in the day. Both coffee and tea are addicting and ruthless organizations like the East India Company controlled the trade on much of it.

Coffee and tea were also expensive and you had poor members of the church wasting their money on the stuff. The church was founded by New England puritans who had no love for the British empire.

I think the ban was both for economic and political reasons. Today it’s outdated. Coffee nor tea pose the health risk that a high carb diet does. I will take my green tea over the high carb snack’s overweight TBM’s gobble up.

Date: April 07, 2023 02:53PM

If you think the English East Indies Company's tea and coffee were addictive, you should have tried its opium.

I'm neither old enough nor worldly enough to offer an informed opinion, but EOD says the product was unsurpassed.

Date: April 07, 2023 03:55PM

https://www.yslbeautyus.com/fragrance/womens-fragrances/opium/

$77 for 1.6 ounces/50 ml  plus shipping and handling (although when my date wears it, I do the handling for free...)

Date: April 07, 2023 04:03PM

You were smoking THAT???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2023 04:12PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: April 07, 2023 04:49PM

he was snorting it.

Date: April 07, 2023 05:16PM

I wouldn't put anything past Jesus. . .

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 07, 2023 03:15PM

Date: April 07, 2023 03:56PM

In a related matter, someone wearing opium is the boffee and I's the boffer.

Further deponent sayeth not.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.